Superboy: Man of Tomorrow Round Robin Q&A on 5/27 - Jahnoy Lindsay & Kenny Porter!

Have there been any discussions/coordination between yourselves and the Dark Crisis: Young Justice creative team?

Both series seem to involve moving the character forward in some way and I was wondering if there was any kind of “plan” for Conner beyond these series.

Thanks!

4 Likes

JL: Unfortunately, I haven’t read any Superboy books, but I look forward to starting! :smiley:

KP: Yes! I actually wrote an issue of the digital first series Superman: Man of Tomorrow. I wrote issue #16 with art by Scott Kolins. I’m a big fan of all of those titles.

6 Likes

kP: I went with Conner because he recently came back into the DC Universe, and it felt like it was the perfect time to tell this story with Kon-El. I’m also a huge fan of Superboy in general, so the chance to get to tell this story is a dream come true.

4 Likes

Will any of the legion of super heroes or teen titans/ young justice characters associated with Conner or the Superman family in general be making an appearance?

4 Likes

KP: With Conner coming back to the DC Universe in a unique way, he’s feeling like he needs to carve his own path and find a place where he can really make a difference. Right now, Earth has so many powerful heroes, but there are entire worlds out there that don’t have anyone to protect them. Conner is looking to carve his own path in this universe, and if there are people off-world who need his help, he’s not going to hesitate to go out there and get the job done.

4 Likes

JL: I’ve shared samples of my work with Andrew for a few years now and when the DC round robin was starting up, he reached out and thought I’d be perfect for Kenny’s Superboy pitch

KP: We were paired up by our editor Andrew Marino, who thought that we’d make an awesome team on this book. And he was 100% right. I’ve had so much fun working with Jahnoy and I can’t wait to tell this story with him. His art is perfect for this huge emotional and action-packed story.

5 Likes

JL: I’d love to have my art help push Superboy into this new era and get to draw some cool fights and character moments!

KP: My overall goal is to tell the kind of story that could only star Conner Kent. He’s one of the most unique heroes in the DC Universe and I want to team up with Jahnoy to give him his own emotional direction and arc as a hero now that he’s back.

4 Likes

KP: That’s a great question! Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow is an incredible book. While they’re very different in premise and execution, they are similar in the sense that it’s about the main character growing and entering a new stage in their life.

4 Likes

JL: Thank you so much! For this story, I’m really being influenced by early dragonball z episodes, so definitely check that out to pick up some of the references I’ll leave around! Also go read Superman: Truth & Justice to see more of my work with DC!

4 Likes

KP: Conner has gone through a lot since his creation back in the 90s. I think that the way I look at the character is that he kept evolving, changing, and growing as a person—like we all do. This story is going to be about what’s next. How can Conner be the best version of himself for a universe that needs his help?

6 Likes

KP: :eyes:

JL: :wink:

4 Likes

KP: Awesome question! I always try to make any DC story friendly for new readers. One of things I really wanted to do was to make this a book that was both a great jumping on point for new fans and a great continuation of Conner’s story if you’ve been a reader of his for years. I think if you’re “green” to Superboy and know the basics, you’re going to love this story just as much as someone who has followed him since day one.

JL: I’d say it’s definitely open to new readers! My Superboy knowledge is very similar to yours and I haven’t felt like i was missing something at any point in the process.

6 Likes

KP: Cassie does have a cameo in our preview pages, but won’t be a main character in this series. But never say never for the future of the character! Also, I love both the jacket look and the black t-shirt/jeans look! If I were Conner, I’d probably just switch depending on the day. Maybe even mix and match!

5 Likes

JL: That’s just an art style quirk of mine! Glad you like it though!

5 Likes

KP: Yes! That’s where I initially got the idea for the story. After reading Young Justice and finishing Bendis’s Action Comics run, I started thinking about where Conner would go next. That’s where the idea for Superboy: Man of Tomorrow came from.

6 Likes

KP: Thanks for voting for us! I’ll let Jahnoy take this one…

JL: :eyes:

5 Likes

KP: Great question! I hope that this book brings in new fans as well as people who love Conner from the Young Justice animated show and his comics throughout the years. I want to give him his own role and place in the DC Universe so that he can have tons of stories going forward.

5 Likes

KP: I wouldn’t rule it out! :wink:

7 Likes

Thank you for answering my questions. Really excited for the book, and I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm for Conner!

5 Likes

i think i know the answer to @Don-El’s question now…

2 Likes