Superboy (Conner Kent/Kon-El) Appreciation Thread

2 Likes

it’s funny how DC is or will be publishing 2 tie in type comics (YJ and Titans) both with the tshirt and jeans Conner, but DC in universe kon has his young punk look, and is in and on the covers(Tim Drake Special, YJ dark crisis, world’s finest). crazy how they take him in 2 totally different directions, and for 2 totally different groups

2 Likes

The Titans one is more based off the show.

2 Likes

Ah, Superboy! I remember being a kid when Adventures of Superman #500 came out and we got our first look. I was a fan of the Superboy tv series and the older comics I was able to buy with my allowance at the comic shop, so I was thrilled to get a new Superboy in the comics. This one was different in that he was a clone, but he was fun. When he got his own series, I got the first issue. Man, I miss that series. That Tom Grummett art was always something to behold. I also miss Tana, Rex, Roxy, Dubbilex and little Krypto.

Here’s something I know isn’t popular…I wasn’t a fan of making Lex the human-half of Conner’s DNA. It was Paul Westfield no matter what Geoff Johns says. And I get it, having it be Lex creates this dichotomy with Conner about who he is and what he’s about…but you can only do that story so many times. It also made him just another pawn in the war between Clark and Lex. With Westfield, Superboy had his own enemy and the idea that someone he hated had a hand in his creation. It was more personal when it was Westfield.

I love that Conner has the jacket look back, but for the love of god, can we please get rid of the shoulder spikes. They look ridiculous!

3 Likes

I much prefer the Park Westfield version.

2 Likes

I feel like the real problem with it is they never did much of anything with it. The most they used it for was to give them a excuse to make him emo.

3 Likes

We talking Westfield or Luthor?

2 Likes

Luthor. I feel like they kind of did everything they really could with Westfield. At least without making a bunch of new characters spring up from no where.

2 Likes

I remember reading this letter column long long ago

I thought it was a great idea.

Who knew that the same letter writer was able to implement his idea about a decade later?

2 Likes

what Geoff did didn’t ruin him, but it did change him into a totally different type guy, who I guess using mental gymnastics you could say he changed and wanted to change everything about himself, so his TT self was the result.

kinda scares me about fans getting ahold of him someday to write, never know what kind of OOC crap they will do to him.

3 Likes

Man it sure would be nice if they stopped doing the same two character arcs for Superboy.

3 Likes

The less said about Eddie Berganza the better.

2 Likes

Yes! THANK YOU!

2 Likes

Ah yes, this letter. I remember this. For Johns it was probably a thrill to make this a reality. For me, who liked Superboy’s story, it always came off like “Yea, my story with Luthor is better so let’s fix that”

I know that’s not Johns intention. It’s just how I felt when it happened.

2 Likes

any writer can change a character, bet the Dark crisis YJ writer wants to now, it’s scary how they could do it and change a character forever.

2 Likes

They only got two issues but with what they already did with the first one it does not fill me with hope.

2 Likes

the YJ dark crisis story is atleast 6 issues, that’s plenty of time to warp characters into what they want

2 Likes

Titans of tomorrow fanart

2 Likes

the original (and better) Match being let loose on our clone boy lol

2 Likes

just be in awe of having all 3 Supergirl’s (I consider Karen a superwoman) with young jon(his better version) and orignal kon(the symbol of cool) all together

2 Likes