Super Hero Genre History

How to Write like a Pulp Writer

Lester Dent was an American pulp-fiction author, best known as the creator and main author of the series of novels about the scientist and adventurer Doc Savage. The 159 novels written over 16 years were credited to the house name Kenneth Robeson.

Here is Lester Dent’s Master Plot Formula.

This is a formula, a master plot, for any 6000 word pulp story. It has worked on adventure, detective, western and war. It tells exactly where to put everything. It shows definitely just what must happen in
each successive thousand words.

No yarn of mine written to the formula has yet failed to sell.

The business of building stories seems not much different from the business of building anything else.

Here’s how it starts:

1. A DIFFERENT MURDER METHOD FOR VILLAIN TO USE

2. A DIFFERENT THING FOR VILLAIN TO BE SEEKING

3. A DIFFERENT LOCALE

4. A MENACE WHICH IS TO HANG LIKE A CLOUD OVER HERO

One of these DIFFERENT things would be nice, two better, three swell. It may help if they are fully in mind before tackling the rest.

A different murder method could be–different. Thinking of shooting, knifing, hydrocyanic, garroting, poison needles, scorpions, a few others,
and writing them on paper gets them where they may suggest something.

Scorpions and their poison bite?

Maybe mosquitos or flies treated with deadly germs?

If the victims are killed by ordinary methods, but found under strange and identical circumstances each time, it might serve, the reader of
course not knowing until the end, that the method of murder is ordinary.

Scribes who have their villain’s victims found with butterflies, spiders or bats stamped on them could conceivably be flirting with this gag.

Probably it won’t do a lot of good to be too odd, fanciful or grotesque with murder methods.

The different thing for the villain to be after might be something other than jewels, the stolen bank loot, the pearls, or some other old ones.

Here, again one might get too bizarre.

Unique locale? Easy. Selecting one that fits in with the murder method and the treasure–thing that villain wants–makes it simpler, and it’s also nice to use a familiar one, a place where you’ve lived or worked. So
many pulpateers don’t. It sometimes saves embarrassment to know nearly as much about the locale as the editor, or enough to fool him.

Here’s a nifty much used in faking local color. For a story laid in Egypt, say, author finds a book titled ‘Conversational Egyptian Easily Learned,’ or something like that. He wants a character to ask in Egyptian, ‘What’s the matter?’ He looks in the book and finds, ‘El khabar, eyh?’ To keep the reader from getting dizzy, it’s perhaps wise to
make it clear in some fashion, just what that means.

Occasionally the text will tell this, or someone can repeat it in English. But it’s a doubtful move to stop and tell the reader in so many words the English
translation.

The writer learns they have palm trees in Egypt. He looks in the book, finds the Egyptian for palm trees, and uses that. This kids editors and readers into thinking he knows something about Egypt.

Here’s the second installment of the master plot.

Divide the 6000 word yarn into four 1500 word parts. In each 1500 word part, put the following:

FIRST 1500 WORDS

1–First line, or as near thereto as possible, introduce the hero and swat him with a fistful of trouble. Hint at a mystery, a menace or a problem to be solved–something the hero has to cope with.

2–The hero pitches in to cope with his fistful of trouble. (He tries to fathom the mystery, defeat the menace, or solve the problem.)

3–Introduce ALL the other characters as soon as possible. Bring them on in action.

4–Hero’s endevours land him in an actual physical conflict near the end of the first 1500 words.

5–Near the end of first 1500 words, there is a complete surprise twist in the plot development.

SO FAR: Does it have SUSPENSE?

Is there a MENACE to the hero?

Does everything happen logically?

At this point, it might help to recall that action should do something besides advance the hero over the scenery. Suppose the hero has learned the dastards of villains have seized somebody named Eloise, who can explain the secret of what is behind all these sinister events. The hero corners villains, they fight, and villains get away. Not so hot.

Hero should accomplish something with his tearing around, if only to rescue Eloise, and surprise! Eloise is a ring-tailed monkey. The hero
counts the rings on Eloise’s tail, if nothing better comes to mind.
They’re not real. The rings are painted there. Why?

SECOND 1500 WORDS

1–Shovel more grief onto the hero.

2–Hero, being heroic, struggles, and his struggles lead up to:

3–Another physical conflict.

4–A surprising plot twist to end the 1500 words.

NOW: Does second part have SUSPENSE?

Does the MENACE grow like a black cloud?

Is the hero getting it in the neck?

Is the second part logical?

DON’T TELL ABOUT IT***Show how the thing looked. This is one of the secrets of writing; never tell the reader–show him. (He trembles,roving eyes, slackened jaw, and such.) MAKE THE READER SEE HIM.

When writing, it helps to get at least one minor surprise to the printed page. It is reasonable to to expect these minor surprises to sort of inveigle the reader into keeping on. They need not be such profound efforts. One method of accomplishing one now and then is to be gently
misleading. Hero is examining the murder room. The door behind him begins slowly to open. He does not see it. He conducts his examination
blissfully. Door eases open, wider and wider, until–surprise! The glass pane falls out of the big window across the room. It must have fallen slowly, and air blowing into the room caused the door to open. Then what
the heck made the pane fall so slowly? More mystery.

Characterizing a story actor consists of giving him some things which make him stick in the reader’s mind. TAG HIM.

BUILD YOUR PLOTS SO THAT ACTION CAN BE CONTINUOUS.

THIRD 1500 WORDS

1–Shovel the grief onto the hero.

2–Hero makes some headway, and corners the villain or somebody in:

3–A physical conflict.

4–A surprising plot twist, in which the hero preferably gets it in the neck bad, to end the 1500 words.

DOES: It still have SUSPENSE?

The MENACE getting blacker?

The hero finds himself in a hell of a fix?

It all happens logically?

These outlines or master formulas are only something to make you certain of inserting some physical conflict, and some genuine plot twists, with a little suspense and menace thrown in. Without them, there is no pulp story.

These physical conflicts in each part might be DIFFERENT, too. If one fight is with fists, that can take care of the pugilism until next the next yarn. Same for poison gas and swords. There may, naturally, be exceptions. A hero with a peculiar punch, or a quick draw, might use it more than once.

The idea is to avoid monotony.

ACTION:
Vivid, swift, no words wasted. Create suspense, make the reader see and feel the action.

ATMOSPHERE:
Hear, smell, see, feel and taste.

DESCRIPTION:
Trees, wind, scenery and water.

THE SECRET OF ALL WRITING IS TO MAKE EVERY WORD COUNT.

FOURTH 1500 WORDS

1–Shovel the difficulties more thickly upon the hero.

2–Get the hero almost buried in his troubles. (Figuratively, the villain has him prisoner and has him framed for a murder rap; the girl is presumably dead, everything is lost, and the DIFFERENT murder method is
about to dispose of the suffering protagonist.)

3–The hero extricates himself using HIS OWN SKILL, training or brawn.

4–The mysteries remaining–one big one held over to this point will help grip interest–are cleared up in course of final conflict as hero takes the situation in hand.

5–Final twist, a big surprise, (This can be the villain turning out to be the unexpected person, having the ‘Treasure’ be a dud, etc.)

6–The snapper, the punch line to end it.

HAS: The SUSPENSE held out to the last line?

The MENACE held out to the last?

Everything been explained?

It all happen logically?

Is the Punch Line enough to leave the reader with that WARM FEELING?

Did God kill the villain? Or the hero?

It is in our Movie & TV library

Just go to Search

Enter Shazam

It’s called DC Spotlight Shazam

That’s why it is hard to find

1 Like

@Desade acolyte

Added this entry to comic book history

1971 College Course on Comic Books Indiana University Mike Usland instructor.

Dean refused initially.

Mike asked, “So would you VERY briefly just summarize for me the basic story of Moses?”

“The Hebrew people were being persecuted, their first-born were being slain,” The dean said, “A Hebrew couple placed their infant son into a little wicker basket and sent him drifting down the Nile. The basket was found by an Egyptian couple who raised the child as their own son. When he grew up and learned of his true heritage, he became a great hero to his people by…”

“Do you recall the origin of Su-
perman?” I asked. “Sure,” he repliesd, “The planet Krypton was about to explode. A scientist and his wife placed their infant son into a little rocket ship and sent him to earth where he was found by the Kents, who raised him as their own son. When he grew up and learned of his true…”

The dean stopped talking. And then he said, “Mr. Uslan, your Course is accredited.”

1 Like

@dogwelder9

I would very much like to see the Captain Marvel serial

Thanks.

An interesting entry

1968 Comic Books Gardner. Fox joined other comics writers like Otto Binder, John Broome, Arnold Drake, Bill Finger and Bob Haney. signing a petition to ask DC for
more financial benefits, particularly regarding health insurance. Since the company regarded writers as expandable people they were all fired without mercy and replaced by more obedient newcomers.

This is when Denny O’ Neil and other young people started.

Does anybody know DC comics written by these men after 1969?

There was a statement that John Broome continued.

Bill Finger was writing for some publisher when he died alone.

Fox never returned.

Anybody?

Here is what wikipedia says

Gardner Fox stopped receiving work from DC during 1968,
when the comics company refused to give health
insurance and other benefits to its older creators.
Fox, who had written a number of historical adventure, mystery and science fiction novels during the 1940s and the 1950s, began to produce novels full time, using his own name and several
pseudonyms. He produced a small number of comics during this period, but predominantly
produced novels, writing more than 100 in genres such as science fiction, espionage, crime, fantasy,romance, western, and historical fiction.

In the late 1960s, Broome and his wife, Peggy, moved
to Paris, France, where he continued to script for DC
Comics. His last Batman story, “Public Luna-Tic Number One!”, was published in Detective Comics #388 (June 1969). His final Flash story, “TheBride Cast Two Shadows”, appeared in The Flash
#194 (Feb. 1970), and his final Green Lantern, “The
Golden Obelisk of Qward”, in Green Lantern #75
(March 1970).

In the late 1960s, Drake freelanced for Marvel
Comics, beginning with Captain Savage #5 (Aug
1968), starring a World War II Marines squadron; he would additionally script some later issues of that series, plus a single issue of the wWIl series Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. Drake wrote the
run of X-Men #47-54 (Aug. 1968 March 1969, co-
writing his initial issue with Gary Friedrich), which
included two rare circumstances of stories drawnbut not written by the noted comics writer-artist Jin
Steranko. Drake introduced several new characters
the series including Mesmero,271 Lorna Dane,and Havok. Drake as well wrote issues of the space alien superhero Captain Marvel, stories for the
superhero satire comic Not Brand Echh, and a story
of the jungle lord Ka-Zar. In Marvel Super-Heroes #1
(Jan. 1969), Drake and editor Stan Lee co-created the
Guardians of the Galaxy, a far-future team of
freedom-fighters gathered from different planets of
our solar system. The characters would star in a 62
issue series in the 1990s, and inspire a new team of
that name in the 2000s.

Bob Haney continued working with DC Comics

With Bill Finger, nothing either way.

Otto Binder died in 1974 but after 1967 was not in good shape because of the death of his 16 year old daughter in 1967.

Bill Finger also died in 1974.

From. Denny O Neill

We didn’t really know why DC had hired us. I asked Paul
Levitz about it. Basically in our
infinite childish ego Steve Skeates and the other Steve
Ditko and I and a couple of other guys thought that those
people at DC are seeing the
wonderful work we’re doing at
Charlton and they can’t wait to get us into their stable.

Well, it was really that they were that they having a conflict with the old line
guys and I’m reasonably certain they wouldn’t have
known us if they’d run over us and maybe not even
recognized our names. It was the money. The money was triple what we were getting at Charlton and I was working
occasionally for Stan [Lee], but
irregularly and I had an infant son and an unworking wife. So l didn’t know I was a Scab and I dont know what I would have done if I had known, but it was
years and years and years later before we found out. They
had some holes they wanted to fill and they hired Dick
Giordano and I don’t know if they suggested he bring
people With him or if
it was his idea, I suspect it was his, and off we went. I
remember very clearly I would meet with Dick on Thursday morning in an office that
Charlton rented on 5th Avenue and one of those Thursday he said, “How would you like to do exactly what
you’re doing now at three times the money?” I said,
“Yeah, sure, talk me into it, you eloquent devil.”

Revised entry

1968 Comic Books Gardner. Fox and Arnold Drake, perhaps John Broome (who soon moved to Paris), Otto Binder and Bill Finger signed a petition to ask DC for more financial benefits, particularly regarding health insurance. Since the company regarded writers as expandable, most were fired and replaced by newcomers like Denny O Neil, who didnt know what was occurring

Effect of writers asking for benefits

Justice League of America 65
Gardner Fox
Justice League of America 66
Denny O Neil

From Otto Binder biography

Health insurance was especially important to Otto, because of the costs he was incurring for psychiatric help for Ione (wife, because of her nervous breakdown after daughter killed in car accident)

Thus occurred what has come to be known as the “writers’ rebellion” at DC, a matter that was a strict secret for many years. Otto Binder, Bill Finger,
John Broome, Arnold Drake, and Gardner Fox were involved, as was a single artist, Kurt Schaffenberger. Some of them individually met with management to see what
could be done. Their requests were deemed unreasonable and were firmly rejected.

This response was a blow, but the ensuing repercussions were the worst part.

In the book Supermnan at Fifty (1987), Denny O’Neil wrote, "Only last year, after I’d been working in comics for two decades, I learned that I was originally hired by DC in 1968 because a few of the regular scripters had asked - not demanded, asked - for health insurance. The reply
was instant dismissal.

But there’s no evidence Otto Binder was instantly dismissed
from DC, and he never said that his participation in the writer’s rebellion led to the termination of his work for DC. Binder maintained that his cessation of work at the firm was of his own volition.

the Binders were planning to move to up- state New York, Otto wrote, “ľ’m kissing off Mort Weisinger and his Superman line, as it is impossible to work with him by mail, and I cannot come down to see him every week. But naturally I’m going to praise the Lord for that, getting him off my neck.”

To Dick Lupoff, a year later, he wrote, “I have] switched [back]
to my first love, science fiction. It’s just as well I quit comics cold as I heard that as soon as Mort Weisinger retired (as editor of Superman), the new editors dropped his writers and artists (the usual custom).” But this was at best only partly true, because Curt Swan continued on Superman for years. After all, the new editor of the Superman title was Binder’s old friend, Julius Schwartz. And Otto had been writing for another editor in
the late 1960s, Murray Boltinoff, on stories for Mystery in Space.

Comics historian Mark Evanier evinces the view that the parting of the ways was not for one clear-cut reason. He wrote, "I think it’s a little simplistic to say the new editors dropped the old talent. First of all, Carmine Infantino was the main one assigning such things and he’d already started shaking up the
talent on Weisinger’s books, even before Mort left. Just about all the writing assignments on all DC comics changed about this time. A few of the writers who’d been writing for Weisinger did still work for DC. Leo Dorfman, for instance, and Bob Haney.

“Binder saw the whole company changing and a lot of longtime editors and freelancers being cut loose. If anyone there was willing to use him (and after the
rebellion, that was probably discouraged), he must have known it wouldn’t last long. Al
of the DC editors except [Murray] Boltinoff preferred to work with new writers.”

1 Like