WARNING: Watchmen is rated ‘R’ for graphic violence, sexuality, nudity, and language.
In honor of the critically acclaimed release of the HBO series Watchmen, we’re going to be celebrating Community Week with a Watch-Along of Watchmen (2009), complemented with our own mysteries to solve in the form of a SCAVENGER HUNT!
Come for the movie, stay for the scavenger hunt fun! It’s time to put those detective skills to the test to find some hidden easter eggs, and try your hand at our trivia questions! The one with the most points might receive a nifty prize after!
SCAVENGER HUNT RULES:
The FIRST person to answer each question correctly will get the point. We’ll be asking them throughout the movie, so keep those eyes peeled, and your minds sharp! I’ll use the Trivia Question Alert when I post them.
Participating’s as simple as giving a shoutout in the comments when you see one! I know where they are, so the first 5 people to respond at the right time will get a point each.
Here’s an example of one using the well-known Watchmen smiley at -2:36:10 (5:37 in):
SCAVENGER HUNT (Easter Eggs) Answer Key:
NOTE: These are based on the “time left” timestamps that the service automatically shows
- Batman poster: -2:35:56
- Sally Jupiter replaces “Enola Gay” on the B-29 bomber: -2:35:14
- Visual replication of Da Vinci’s The Last Supper painting: -2:34:32
- First appearance of Walter Kovacs (not as Rorschach): -2:30:17 - along sidewalk, looking down
- Gunga Diner Balloon: -2:29:24
- Mention of the “Pale Horse” on Newspaper that flies by (Bible symbolism): -2:29:18 - requires pausing
- Focuses on the fact that The Comedian has a picture of Laurie in this closet: -2:27:07
- Mention of the Chicago Seven’s acquittal/“The New Watchmen”: -2:27:02
- "Big Giant” pork & beans a play on Green Giant veggies: -2:23:17
- Mention of “Supermen” (on magazine cover): -2:19:33
“Doomsday Clock at 5 to Midnight” newspaper article: -2:18:15
- “Veidt Victory” tennis shoes (seen behind Dan): -2:17:58
- Second appearance of Walter Kovacs (not as Rorschach): -2:11:41 - walking by restaurant
- Four-legged chicken (listen out for “I’m glad I ordered the four legged chicken”): -2:11:00
- Two dollar bill used: -2:05:48
- Miss Jupiter’s on The Comedian’s lighter: -1:58:29
- Vietnam named as America’s 51st state: -1:55:59 OR -1:55:43
- Blue Angels statue (to the left of Rorschach): -42:34
- Veidt Research Team Suit Logos (a play on the square and compass) -41:08
- Millennium poster - Veidt cosmetic transitions from Nostalgia to that brand (top of building): -7:53
For those who have joined a Watch-Along before, you know the drill.
For those who haven’t joined a Watch-Along before, read on to learn more!
Who: You, silly!
What: Watchmen (2009) - The link to the movie can be found here!
Where: Right here on the forums! In this thread! In the comments below! Maybe on your phone! But also, you’ll be watching Watchmen on another screen to make it easier. So there, too.
Why: Because the community that geeks out together, stays together.
How: Great question - read below!
RULES OF THE ROAD
CAN’T WIN IF YOU DON’T PLAY – You must have a subscription to DC Universe to access Watchmen unless you own the movie yourself.
DUAL-WIELDING – Watch-Alongs are best experienced on two devices; Your phone for comments, and your big screen for viewing.
2, 1 LET’S JAM – Have your clicking finger on the “play” button and ready for action- we’ll be starting at the stroke of the hour.
A WRINKLE IN TIME – If you get lost in the time, you can calculate where the audience is by checking the minute- For example, if it’s 09:45 am PST, then we are 15 minutes into the movie.
Come join us to answer the question everyone’s asking: Who Watches the Watch-Along?