Summer of Events Book Club Week 1: Justice League: No Justice #1 and Flash #46

With three days left, lets start discussion on the flash. I still need to write my review, but I will say I really liked the teaser for justice league dark. Hopefully you see it. (Zatanna says it I think)

The JLD teaser was a nice touch and I liked that Eobard Thawns death was acknowledge.

Overall though I was left a bit confused as to Hunterā€™s motives. What does he mean by wanting Wally to become the hero he can be?

Obviously Iā€™m going to keep reading Flash War but after that lead in Iā€™m just not sure where weā€™re going.

Yeah, thatā€™s me too. Iā€™m genuinely a little lost. Thatā€™s okay. Thereā€™s still time to understand better.

1 Like

I can tell no one read Flash #46. How do you think we should approach it?

I still have until tonight to read this and still can remain a member of this club right??

Yes anyone can join at anytime!

1 Like

Justice league no justice number one

Please forgive the decadent lack of capitals here Iā€™m doing this from my Android tablet by voice.

Definitely has that feel of final crises or crisis of infinite earths ā€¦everybodyā€™s being gathered together and forced to work the other heroes and villains alike.

Itā€™s reasonable to assume that the heroes could accidentally break something like the source wall .

If you think about it is kind of like in our world where an army accidentally breakes the dam when itā€™s bombing someplace and they end up flooding civilian areas where thereā€™s no weapons being manufactured, no troops, where they didnā€™t mean to cause a flood.

Also the idea of brainiac getting everybody together for the common good, again weā€™ve seen this before. It makes sense, everybody wants to exist, itā€™s kind of a bottom-line. and again in our modern world often itā€™s the bottom line of nations get together that are often competitors, for common long term survival.

I do have to tell you this feels an awful lot like a Marvel type of event, you know fighting celestials that kind of thing thisā€¦ā€™ this is strangely reminiscent what was going on over and Jason Aaronā€™s Avengers around the same time.

The artwork doesnā€™t work digitally; when I went panel to panel view it was kind of a mess , very weirdly badly pixelated.

Iā€™ll go 7 out of 10 to give it a little higher rating.

The poorly-pixelated panels example for Justice league no justice number one

Now on the flash 46 ā€¦this is a nice Monday night activity Nathan!

So hereā€™s whats fascinating about this run and Aaronā€™s run.

Both stories debuted ON THE SAME DAY! (DC Nation #0 and Avengers #1)
The first arc is the SAME for both.
Both series did an Atlantis arc AT THE SAME TIME!
Both series fixed many of the problems with the big team comic series.

They both are big parts of this Summerā€™s Event (Year of the villain and War of the Realms)

I mean itā€™s crazy!

1 Like

Yep cray cray

Flash number 46

I can see how this ties into Heroes in Crisis and also ties in with what we just read , Justice league no justice, as well as those Batman comics that have Booster Gold trying to take Batman back to crime Alley as a wedding gift and all that fun stuff.

I do think itā€™s interesting that this addresses what the psychological and emotional toll on the human mind would really be if a lot of these fantastical ideas that we bounce around without a whole lot of thought were real. Wally cracking under seeing all these worlds at once reminds me a little bit of the trauma people feel in places like Astro City or Marvels, both by Kurt busiek. He does so well the street level view, the people that arenā€™t the heroes but the ones that have to deal with the effects of the battles of heroes, the celestials, the sea citizens trying to flood everything etcā€¦

I find it excessively hard to buy the motivations of villains obsessing on a hero to try to make them better, and the plit that both Zoom and Reverse Flash have the same obsessionā€¦ itā€™s a bit much. Guess weā€™ll see where this goes.

Another 7 out of 10. I am one of those people that would love to see Wally figure all this out and stick around.

ā€¦and whatā€™s up with both Flash and Zoom feeling the need to smash giant TV screens??? silly

Thanks again for hosting this party Nathan!!!

Anytime! Everyone Justice League: No Justice #2 appears soon. For those who want to read something else as well, Iā€™d recommend reading Mera, Queen of Atlantis which will play a role with Drowned Earth in November. Honestly though, you can wait or not read it.

I guess try to read the previous issues of the flash. It would help, but itā€™s NOT needed.

1 Like

Who is the most unexpected character in this series so far?

I didnā€™t find really any of the characters to be truly ā€œUNEXPECTEDā€, except maybe Starro. The rest I can see being ā€œbrought inā€ under the right circumstances.

What do you think about Task Force XI?

It was great to see some underutilized characters on that page, but otherwise what a plot device to move a story forward. Feels like some of those people would have been able to stop themselves from being taken to do Wallerā€™s dirty work.

What energy is Earth (If you know the answer DONā€™T SAY IT) Entropy, Wisdom, Mystery, or Wonder.

No clue what it is actually, but I am going to go with Mystery simply because life is a mystery. We all live on earth, so there is my reasoning.

Finally, did Brainiac get a good death

Meh! It served its purpose in the issue, but I can see this going in so many different directions. For a first issue I enjoyed it, but looking forward to seeing what direction it ultimately takes for the other titles that spun out of it.

I tried to read Flash #46, but goodness me. I couldnā€™t do it. I really do not like Barry Allen and the beginning was hard for me to even read. Got worse when I go to whom I am assuming is ā€œReverse Flash.ā€ I may try to finish it today, just to say I read it completely. It really cemented that I enjoy older comics for the most part. I am still going to try to actively participate in this book club though, so that I get outside of my own comfort zone with comic books.

1 Like

@princess glad you read Justice League: No Justice. I dont love the lead up to Flash War but Iā€™m glad youā€™re going outside your comfort zone. Flash Warā€™s lead up is okay. Part of the Barry thing is that Barry has been on this downward spiral after his powers stopped working for him. Heā€™s in a state of crisis which is what causes Flash War to occur. Itā€™s about Wally being angry at his life and angry at Barry. So if it seems Barry is a jerk thatā€™s why.

1 Like

@princess on the spin off of Justice League: No Justice

There is:

Justice League
Justice League Odyssey
Justice League Dark
Teen Titans
Titans
Detective Comics

So thereā€™s a lot of spin offs. I havenā€™t figured out which oneā€™s we will do. Iā€™ll probably have a Summer Of Events Optional Chat for the series we donā€™t follow. That would probably include Detective Comics, teen Titans, and Titans as well as Catwoman and Supergirl.

2 Likes

I had 7 pages left of the Flash. Didnā€™t even realize I was that close to the end when I stopped reading it. I will write out my thoughts tomorrow. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the Flash. Helps me to understand what has been going on with a character I am like bleh to.

When it is time I would be most interested in the Justice League titles, if we were to read those spinoffs. I know eventually I will get to Titans in my own time. Odyssey is the one I have been most curious about.

Justice League is on of the greatest runs in JL history. Justice League Dark is also critically acclaimed and has a big impact on Wonder Womanā€™s character. Justice League Odyssey is a series whoā€™s writer left after 5 issues, but continues to be a fun space saga led by Dan Abnett (Aquaman Rebirth)

Modern Comics end very quickly. Both a perk and disadvantage.

HEY EVERYONE! NEW COMICS ARE UP!

@LeonardoMyst Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not alone in my dislike of constant huge scope stories. Itā€™s not like Snyder is doing a bad job of it, itā€™s just too much for my tastes. You put it better than I could.

1 Like