Stories That Changed Your Mind on a Character

We all have DC characters we don’t particularly care for, or at the very least, don’t care about at all. But then, someday, a particular story shows them in a new light, and encourages you to reconsider your stance. What are some stories that got you to come around on a character you originally disregarded?

The biggest one for me is 2018’s Hawkman, which got me to click with the character in a way I never did before. All the confusing elements of his story all suddenly made sense together, and lent credence to a truly fascinating character at the center.

9 Likes

JSA 7-9 Green Lantern

The Hunt for Extant-Atom Smasher

JSA B.C.- Black Adam

My Heroes-STRIPE

Black Reign- Dr Fate and Hourman

Princes of Darkness- Sandman and Captain Marvel

Black Vengeance- Atom Smasher (again)

JSA 52-53 Power Girl (probably the biggest complete 180 here).

7 Likes

I probably didn’t care for Green Arrow, til I watch Smallville and also didn’t care for JSA, til I watch Smallville and later Stargirl.:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Superman - Superman Rebirth by Tomasi and Gleason.

I’ve never been a Superman fan. But that series gave me a whole new view of him. It’s also why I like Jon so much.

4 Likes

I definitely agree with Hawkman 2018. Never stood out to me that much but that story made him a favorite of mine.

I’d say Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. Read that before watching the show and it made be care so much more about the JSA and Stargirl and the whole crew.

Superman Rebirth definitely hooked me on him. I’ve scene movies and shows and thought they were cool but he was just there. Never hated him or liked him just there. But that run made appreciate and like Supes a bit more.

Also Aquaman Rebirth.
Always thought he was cool but like Supes not much. But after that run not only is he a favorite all of Atlantis is definitely in my favorite stuff to read list.

There’s probably more but that’s what comes to mind right now.

6 Likes

The Man of Yesterday from Injustice: Gods Among Us by Tom Taylor

Never understand why Superman was truly a great character until I read this story.

1 Like

I despised Carrie Kelly until I read TDKR

5 Likes

I’m kinda the same with Hawkman. I was always a fan of JSA and their stories from the 2000s, but while he was good on a team I didn’t like his solo that much. But the 2018 title was awesome!

The Spectre is another character that I always enjoyed on the JSA. But it wasn’t until I read his 90s solo title i recognized the story telling potential with him.

The Suicide Squad is the one where for a while I just didn’t care for them. Their more recent titles like in the New 52 and Rebirth just seemed too chaotic and unfocused. But then I read their first title by John Ostrander and I really dug that run.

Last one I’ll bring up is Huntress. First time I saw her eas reading Batman: Hush but didn’t know anything about her, so I just glossed over her. Saw her on the TV show Arrow, thought she was decent. It wouldn’t be until later I started reading some of her solo stuff, mainly just mini-series always revisiting her origin. But I have grown to see her as a cool character and kinda wish she pops up more.

3 Likes

Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing. I never had much interest in Swampy until I read his run.

James Robinson’s Star Man. It totally introduced me to the character.

Marc Andreyko’s Kate Spencer Manhunter. Again, it was a brand new character for me.

4 Likes

@MatthewHecht Jurisdiction has been converted to our ways!!!

4 Likes

It was only a matter of time. He has made so many comments about her it was bound to happen.

3 Likes

I told you I was on your side back in January

4 Likes

You tell me you are against me all the time, but it always blows up in your face. Partly because Robin once tied fake dynamite to your face that was actually filled with candy.

2 Likes

Was she in something before TDKR?

Or was it just the notion that she was considered a “Robin” that rubbed you the wrong way?

That was how I used to feel about Stephanie until I read some Batgirls stuff.

2 Likes

Well I first read her in Batman and Robin from 2013

Ohhh, gotcha.

1 Like

But her first appearance was TDKR

2 Likes

No

1 Like

I used to think Flash was lame and pointless, but then I watched the show and now i’m obsessed!

2 Likes

I wrote something about this in Let’s Talk About Anything DC but I think it fits better here.

I Am Batman #17 really ruined my hope for the series and the character of Jace Fox as Batman. I had been critical of the series but I felt like overall it was going on strong until the penultimate issue and it’s finale made it irrelevant. It really bastardize on what the series was building up with this new version of Tim and his family. Freakin wasting on the work of developing the Fox family dynamics to create unnecessary drama at the end and leaving the fallout from it unresolved.
It completely character assassinated Lucius Fox, turning him into a adulterer when he was once the most noble of Batman’s closest allies and making Jace a jerk by leaving his family in their time of need. The way I see it, somebody like Brian Hill, Christopher Priest, or even Brandon Thomas can do something better with this Batman than John Ridley because right now his Batman is officially dead to me.

2 Likes