šŸ–¤Stories for ChangešŸ–¤ Your Picks For Comics & Episodes of Revolution

@Mae Agreed!

4 Likes

Hey all, the master list has been updated. Keep the suggestions coming, DC or not!

7 Likes

In that case, Raising Dion. It is on Netflix, I believe. I wasnā€™t sure if I should put it because it isnā€™t DC. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Outside DC?
Planet Hulk from Marvel.
Gladiator starring Russel Crowe
Any movie ever from Spike Lee
Just Mercy starring Michael B Jordan

7 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

I feel like this list wouldnā€™t be complete without these classic Superman TAS episodes:

ā€œAbsolute Powerā€ - S3, E6

ā€œApokolipsā€¦Now!ā€ - S2, E25 & E26

Theyā€™re episodes that, in my humble opinion, should inspire all of us to be our very best and do the right thing.

3 Likes

Greg Ruckaā€™s Wonder Woman (New Earth pre-52 version) deals a lot with the obstacles & difficulties of implementing any sort of widespread change - and why its still important to try. Then thereā€™s All-Star Superman; probably the epitome of never giving up & always striving for a better world (even in the face of Lex Lutherā€™s smarmy solar poisoning induced demise).

And as a Marvel fan too lazy to look things up - probably thirty years worth of X-Men comics (kinda the books thesis statement, lol) and the mini-series Civil War. Not whole series (I found it very dumb). Just the panels where Captain America quotes Mark Twain. ā€œRiver of truthā€ and all that, youā€™ve probably heard the quote.

4 Likes

The Benjamin Percy run on Green Arrow Rebirth. Specifically issue #12, it literally deals with a crooked cop abusing his power and Ollie putting an arrow right through his hand. Good stuff in that one and very relatable given the current situation in the ā€˜Unitedā€™ States

6 Likes

I was thinking Lincoln (2012) might be a good pick Where President Lincoln wants to pass the 13 Amendment, where slave are Forever free. I think itā€™s a good history movie, if it wasnā€™t for President Lincoln, today world would be totally different.

5 Likes

How about Action Comics (1938-2011) #775?

Superman is confronted by those who feel heā€™s ineffective, and that super heroes need to change and be harsher towards those who cause problems so as to eliminate them before they can become an even greater threat.

The issue ultimately shows that Superman and his approach to keeping the peace is more relevant than ever.

7 Likes

Swamp Thing by Alan Moore, is an interesting story about change. Especially Swampyā€™s relationship with the Greenā€¦ and Abby. Her story of change is a wild ride.

7 Likes

I was going to suggest that one myself! Great call.

5 Likes

I went back to Watchmen, especially the moment with Night Owl and The Comedian trying to control the crowd.

5 Likes

Not on DC Universe but I have always found issues 19-22, & 24-26 of DC - Milestoneā€™s Icon to be an interesting story that reflects on change, the first few issues deal with Rocket and the other Heroes preparing and adapting for a world without the titular Icon, while also reflecting on events in the story and the larger Milestone universe thus far. Allowing the reader to see how throughout the course of the series characters have grown to look up to and respect Icon. Rocket taking it the hardest as she has to give up her mantle, with her child on the way, and having to say goodbye to someone who has become such important and influential figure in her life.
In the later issues we see Icon making a case for planet earth, and whether its people are a threat to civilized planets throughout the galaxy. As a alien who had to live amongst humans for close to two hundred years, it is written as fascinating examination of how much and how little xenophobia, and racism had changed over two centuries.
You can read the story in the TPB Icon vol 2: The Mothership Connection (may need a little Shadow Cabinet knowledge,) and I also recommend the first volume ā€œA Heroā€™s Welcome.ā€ Unfortunately all 42 issues of the series are not collected or available digitally anywhere.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s another movie that comes to my mind I think itā€™s worth watching. ā€˜Itā€™s A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood.ā€™ It has a great message about Forgiveness. I think everybody can learn from this movie. It may not be a DC film, but itā€™s still a good film.:slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Iā€™ll include that on Stories For Hope, that would be perfect for that category!

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone- please keep 'em coming! :black_heart:

3 Likes

Ok, Thankyou @Applejack.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This movie, Selma and a few others are free rentals on Amazon and Vudu. If you wanted to purchase them they are $3.99 each.

5 Likes

I would like to add The Adventures of Superman 1944 radio story Clan of the Fiery Cross.

This was the basis of the comic Superman Smashes the Klan which can also be added if it has not been already.

5 Likes