Stop with all of the TV MA shows

I’m sure I’m a minority here but I really wish that all of the live action shows were not TV MA I find no value in graphic violance, f bombs, and nudity. I ve waited most of my life for live action versions of my heroes (titans. Doom patrol etc) to be brought to life, and to see it in a format I can’t watch and share with my kids makes me really question my subscription, I hope that star girl and other shows are kept to TV 14 or lower.

7 Likes

@rand.neilsen They’re not going to stop. But the good thing is they will make family-friendly content for you, too. And the overwhelming majority of the content on the service is totally family friendly. So enjoy.

Additionally, you could watch this mature content with your kids and use it as an opportunity to discuss some of the issues it brings up in a safe and responsible environment to prepare them for the world out there, who isn’t going to care about them as much as you do. Plus side, you get to watch these awesome shows.

I really don’t understand the shock at the violence though. I mean, comics are violent, like the most violent. Not sure why these shows are shocking people with respect to violence.

8 Likes

Um… why? Doom patrol and the titans comics both had a lot of content in their most famous runs that were far from being child appropriate, doom patrol especially. I mean, I get your point about feeling uncomfortable because you can’t really watch these shows with your kids, but there is a lot of child friendly content on her in the form of animated shows old and new, along with the comics. I kinda hope you’re right with stargirl cause no one wants to see only one kind of content, but I can see why they did it with these two properties, as th comics they were based on were always marketed to teens and young adults, and always had content that was more mature in nature.

And if you find no value in those things, why would a property like doom patrol even interest you in the first place?

4 Likes

F*ck no! go watch DC Superhero Girls or stick with other stuff. Both styles can co exist.

DC in general is not always dark and gritty but not mostly just a family fun fest either. DCU has Young Justice season 3 for you and if it’s still a little much then definetly stick with Teen Titans cartoons and DC Superhero Girls for a while!

5 Likes

Plenty of family shows on here so no they don’t need to stop , I love it…

3 Likes

Om my Gosh THANK YOU!!! I agree whole-heartedly. Making something TVMA does not make it better, it just makes it’s audience smaller.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s about the story from the story tellers and their visions than about being cool or having a huge audience.

DC comics has always had a variety and so let there be a variety with their films or shows despite YOU finding it better or not.

2 Likes

Supposedly Stargirl will be more appropriate. So it is the only one I am excited for.

1 Like

Speak for yourself, the rest of us are enjoying it.

5 Likes

my thing is still this. With Doom patrol specifically what did you really expect? And honestly the same goes for titans, because the titans comics I remember were always more of a character drama tackling a lot of what would kinda suck about being a superhero, especially as a younger person. I really enjoyed both shows, but given the ending direction they went with for season 1 I can’t say I am all that surprised by how divisive it is What really bugs me is how many people complain that the show had no comedy, which I found to be straight up not true. The interactions between dick and troy were often hilarious, same with gar and raven. I honestly feel the show was more balanced than its given credit for, but I think depending on how they do season 2 a lot of people are gonna be changing their tone. I mean, as an attempt to codify and launch the entirety of the DCLAU in which all future live action shows from the service will take place, titans had a shit ton of work to do. And honestly, for me it was kinda nice to see what some of the heroes COULD really do if something broke them so bad they lost their codes, and I think doing it in a delusional sequence was pretty cool.

4 Likes

Personally I think the problem with Titans was that it was such a deviation from what the fans have come to expect from a “Teen Titans” title. Because half of the team are adults and not teens, and it was jarringly violent and realistic. Compared to what most of us were used to from these characters, Titans being so “mature” was jarring. I enjoyed it, I like change and keeping things fresh and all sometimes, but I found it didn’t gel with me as much as Doom Patrol does.

DP really deserves its TV-MA rating because the characters are more sophisticated; they are flawed, tragic, “monstrous” characters. The episodes have been emotional and contain some body horror elements, and I think the stories are well served by the mature rating. Not saying they have to have gratuitous violence, sexual content, profanity, etc, that wouldn’t fit with the narrative. Well-placed adult themes are perfectly fine with me, and appreciated.

1 Like

I grew up on Wolfman /Perez Teen Titans so I know it was about the characters and so Titans was a disappointment to me loved the characters and read the synopsis of each episode and the story sounded very good but I find excessive language to be less about character and more about trying to be “edgy” by going to the lowest denominations. I understand violence I read comics not exactly known for talking a villain down but to be graphic just to be graphic doesn’t move the story on. I also read the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol that they are using as source material I still think that the language and nudity and overly graphic violence is just sloppy story telling using “edgy” to get people watching. I challenge DCLAU to stop using R as meaning really good and find other adjectives than curse words when they want to express something.

1 Like

I am guessing that some of the people on this thread really, really, detest Facebook, because of how real people really talk and think. :wink:

Titans was brutal, but there is a story there, and a reason for it to be in the story. I am not a fan of brutal violence either, but from the clues in the show, this is a known issue with Robin/Nightwing to be, that he does want to change. That gives me hope that they will work to tone down the brutal violence as Dick gets better control over himself.

I found the show well worth watching, in spite of some character changes and mega violence.

I do think there should be DC Universe offerings geared towards younger audiences, and puritan prudes, though.

MACJR

1 Like

Honestly I dont find the violence we’ve seen in doom patrol to be overly gratuitous. And it seems like this show drew more from the comic The titans, which was a team composed mostly of the titans as adults. And I am sorry that language and nudity are so distracting to you that you can not see actual good character building past it. People use language generally considered foul in real life, people have sex in real life, people do terrible things to eachother with sharp objects in real life, and both these shows and the comics each were based on had the mission statement of showing the harsher realities facing those who choose to stand against the evils of the world and fight against those evils. I think a lot of what you have an issue with might be the jarring effect of moving from animation-esque art styles to the live action medium, where you can see the horrible things that happen to the human body in a lot of these stories in far greater levels of clarity and detail.

Again, if its not for you, its not, watch something else. There is plenty here. But comics were never a ‘kids thing’ despite the efforts of the comics code to make them so. They’re an everyone thing and different comics have different intended audiences. Doom patrol was intended for adults, and Titans was intended for older teens.

1 Like

Honestly I dont find the violence we’ve seen in doom patrol to be overly gratuitous. And it seems like this show drew more from the comic The titans, which was a team composed mostly of the titans as adults. And I am sorry that language and nudity are so distracting to you that you can not see actual good character building past it. People use language generally considered foul in real life, people have sex in real life, people do terrible things to eachother with sharp objects in real life, and both these shows and the comics each were based on had the mission statement of showing the harsher realities facing those who choose to stand against the evils of the world and fight against those evils. I think a lot of what you have an issue with might be the jarring effect of moving from animation-esque art styles to the live action medium, where you can see the horrible things that happen to the human body in a lot of these stories in far greater levels of clarity and detail.

Again, if its not for you, its not, watch something else. There is plenty here. But comics were never a ‘kids thing’ despite the efforts of the comics code to make them so. They’re an everyone thing and different comics have different intended audiences. Doom patrol was intended for adults, and Titans was intended for older teens.

TV-MA shows are the best shows

@abfgmsw, I know how it is with Facebook users, the majority of them, anyway. Many of them only speak with cat pictures and canned messages, and seem incapable of their own original thoughts. It is also true that many people just are not good at putting their words in print, or are too ashamed of their spelling to try.

Even those friends I do have on Facebook, that can and do type, do not talk with me all the time there on Facebook. Not like they did when we knew each other on old style message boards, like this one.

However, many of my friends, and family, of those that do type, use a lot of language that is clearly not G or even PG. And that is the majority, not the minority, of Facebook users who cuss online. I found it rather unsettling too, at first, but found I had to get used to it. Sadly, over time, and too many life challenges while dealing with family on Facebook, my language became more colorful as well. Not that I never cussed in real life, but I tried not to do that online, ever, but now, well, I tend to slip at times when I am more than a little miffed about this or that, or someone in particular.

So it seems to me, those that berate a show because of crude language, they are fighting a loosing battle against the way things really are today. Their kids probably hear more cussing in the schoolyard than the do in a DC Universe show.

MACJR

I liked Titans, but I agree with iJest that people probably found it jarring because of how it clashed with the current mainstream image of the brand. Remember that not everyone reads comics, so for some people their exposure to the Teen Titans characters has only been through the recent TV shows and movies which were goofy comedies marketed towards children. These people were in for quite a surprise when Robin went from slapstick to viciously slapping people with a stick.

As for the issue of mature content, I don’t mind it if it adds substance to the plot and character development. However, if it’s just tacked on merely for the sake of being “edgy”, “mature”, or “real”, it gets old quick because often times in these cases shock value takes priority over storytelling. Basically if a mature content scene or dialogue can be removed without changing the story, losing impact on words or actions, or altering the perception of character or situation, then chances are it was unnecessary.

1 Like

To me I love both. DC was always Dark. The kids have the good old CARTOON Titans and then you can always watch that stupid one.
Also I like the Deadpool Touch in general.

I found Dad!