Statues, going forward...help me decide :)

Hello fellow DCU members. Looking for your input regarding future collecting endeavors. Been collecting for a few years now, and my collection has been primarily action figures. One thing I learned over the course of those few years, is that it’s good for a collection to have a focus. Limiting my collection to the Trinity has made it easier on my pocket book and on the limited space I have. Also, when you look at my cabinet, there’s a clear theme, which is my pleasing to the eyes (mine at least). Anyhow, I recently started venturing into statues. I have the Jim Lee Designer Series Superman statue, and I have another rather large 1/3 scale Superman on pre-order (made a separate post about that one, if you’re curious). With statues, obviously cost and space are even more of an issue. My question to you is the following:

For my young statue collection, should I
a) Keep the Trinity as the focus.
b) Limit statues to Superman.
I feel like option a will end up being harder on my wallet, and I’ll eventually be keeping things stored in boxes because of limited display space. With option B…well…it’s less upcoming releases to consider, but the space I have designated for statues will consist only of Supermen. Keep in mind the statues will be displayed separately from the figures.

I know it’s all personal preference, and just writing this is helping make up my mind a bit (leaning towards a Supes only statue collection)…but curious to hear your opinions and advice, collector to collector :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are there any good Lois Lane statues, or ones with Lois and Clark? It may be good to have a couple of those.

1 Like

There’s a DC Collectibles Superman/Lois statue based on Gary Frank art. Good looking piece. They also made a Superman/Wonder Woman “kiss” statue based on New 52, but that one goes for way too much on ebay now. If I go with a Superman only collection, I’d be able to explore ideas like that.

They’re a bit smaller, but check out the Eaglemoss line of figures they did

1 Like

I recommend limiting your statue collection to just Superman. It would help save money and space.

1 Like

@Horizon_Brave, just checked them out. Looks like they have some kind of subscription model. Cool little figurines…thanks for the tip!

@Beagle, that seems to be the direction I’m headed in. These things are expensive and big.

The Eaglemoss figurines that @Horizon_Brave mentioned are nifty, but expensive for what you get.

I’d go for the Trinity approach. There’s more character variety there than with sticking to Superman only. I love looking at a variety of Superman things together, but the variety provided by other characters adds a bit more life to a display IMO.

1 Like

Hey @Vroom…nice to hear from you. Been going back & forth on this. Agree with you on the variety aspect. Here’s the shelf where the statues are gonna sit (the little guys may end up somewhere else). Practically speaking, sticking to Supes in different scales will be a bit easier to plan for. If I wanted to get this Jim Lee Superman a matching Wonder Woman and Batman, I see myself running out of room quick.

https://i.postimg.cc/nrcNRx2J/4-F77-D9-BD-791-E-4-EB4-938-C-7-CA3-BED056-A3.jpg

1 Like

I see. Given that amount of space, I’d stick with Superman then. On the basis that he’d probably be the character whose statues you enjoy the most and there’s no need to have another character eating up space for what could be another Superman piece.

I like the Vinimates BTW.

2 Likes

Exactly…see what room I have left after the first 2…then add whatever space permits. Have my eye on some DCC “The Man of Steel” items that are still affordable on ebay.
The Vinimates are fun. Didn’t think I’d like the block concept until I saw the quality in hand. The painted details look great. These cartoonish vinyl collectibles (Pops, Vinimates, etc) are whole other category…don’t get me started!

1 Like

Yep! Focus on the Superman’s & enjoy them all! I love my statues they bring me so much joy!

2 Likes

I think it would be easier and maaaybe cheaper depending ( there are A Lot of gorgeous older statues out there)
One thing I would suggest starting out is to pick a scale size and stick to that that will help your budget maybe making exceptions for particularly well sculpted one you can’t live without

1 Like

I imagine the scale issue really comes into play when you start mixing characters. Don’t want a 12" Superman standing next to an 8" Batman. Just looks off. Focusing on one I believe makes it easier to play with different scales, because it’s all different interpretations of the same character…there’s unifying theme. I agree with you though…limiting the collection is essential to keeping some kind of control on cost. Statues are very expensive (the good ones at least).