:jsa_book_club: Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. Part One: New Kid on the Block:jsa_book_club:

1. The villains here seem to be more on the comedic side, much more so than they were in the show.
  2. I would like to believe I would handle the changes well, but I am sure adjusting to superhero life would be challenging.
  3. It was cool to see the teamups. I love seeing the Marvel family, but I think she meshed better with Young Justice.
  4. I can’t help feeling sorry for someone whose father is subjecting her to experiments.
1 Like

Braiwnave: How dare you say I am not funny. I will now hilariously drain your brain in a very long, slow timeframe.

1 Like

4- Poor art job. Reading this after JSA #81 and Spring break Special makes it really stick out.
I think the Marvels just got in the way and cluttered it with too many characters and this would be better without them. I called this the worst issue of the series, but I eventually did come to appreciate it. For one Pat is furious at Grundy and much more emotional. This allows them to switch dynamics with Star being the calm and rational one.

In addition, the ending shows that Star has now become a real hero and Pat is just completely off guard, and he must come to terms with becoming a control freak since Sylvester’s death. The ending conversation has become one of my favorite part of the series.

5- Some of Cindy’s dialogue reminds me to ask this question. Does anybody else think Shiv has a crush on Courtney (at least in the show)?

I cannot blame the show for not really adapting Josh and Mary. I think Travis has potential, but those two are just not needed.

Dodgeball- Nice job Shiv at calling her attack and doing something else. Since Tim got hit in the head (and it was not down) that should not be an out.

Ironically in “Sins of Youth” Star called herself the JSA’s cheerleader.

6- I love that Pat’s only worry is explaining this to Barbara. I am enjoying the high school drama much more than the actual superhero stuff these two issues. Based on how protective Pat is here I sure hope Wildcat never gave him a detailed description of his step-daughter battling Mordru or Black Adam (Obsidian fight should be later). It would give him a heart attack.
Great job by Dragon King at the end. Evil is far from a big happy family.

7- It feels weird that she is fighting someone with a staff. I keep thinking this should be symbolism instead of just irony. I miss the red backpack. I have been critical of Moder but this is his best work. It really captures win or die.

Star is crying at the end. Probably both relief at seeing Pat and worrying that she was going to die (I presume she is supposed to be bleeding at the end).
Pat whines she does not protect her identity. Meanwhile in a field that must be full of cameras and people hiding he gets out of STRIPE in an open field. What’s next? Mike sells her underwear on ebay? Wait that does come later. When Stargirl is the best in the family at keeping a secret identity you have a problem.
For Shiv I mainly find her one note. She is just way too eager to please dear daddy. I find the scientist more interesting.

8- Compare her speech about history to what she says All-Stars #8 (not on DCU) or JSA #81, or her love of the museum throughout most of JSA. Lots of character development.
My mom and sister are teachers, and it really sucks having them at your school.
You asked how to fit in. The main answer is to join an organization like a soccer team. Even without the belt she has the leg and energy for it.
I really dislike this anti-cheating message here and in a later issue with the test. Is the moral that if you cheat it will make a supervillain attack you?

Pat really needs to look into a mirror whenever he lectures. Yes, Pat she smashed a school bus. She also saved many people and prevented a potential crisis saving without a doubt several JSA members since they always die during them. Meanwhile in previous issues you busted an ambulance and a schoolhouse, and you were refusing to help save the world. Priorities man. Then you take credit for the good and only the good while you were a complete non-factor. I am seeing where Mike learned to be a troublemaker. Pat also has no credibility to tell her not to lie anymore.

Green Lantern: She has been holding her own in the JSA, Pat.

Much better than you have these first five issues. I would think this takes place around 6-8 since Shiv joined after that. On a related note I would think a few JSAers are how she is commuting to New York since I doubt Pat is big on giving her rides there. Maybe Atom Smasher is flying her in The Star Eagle.

1 Like

I forgot about this detail.

Does it bother anyone else that she takes shattering this thick wall like its nothing yet knives and needles pierce her easily?

1 Like

I’m impressed that the outfits were recreated almost exactly.

2 Likes

Stars’s shirt goes down lower. Even many of her civilian clothes are from the comics.

1 Like

That’s what I mean, the civilian clothes were recreated almost perfectly. Bad phrasing, sorry.

2 Likes

In yesterday’s Infinite Frontier #2 Green Lantern, Obsidian, and Mr. Terrific had a scene together.

2 Likes

Cool. Was it a good scene?

1 Like

October solicitations are out, no JSA.

1 Like

:rage:

1 Like

Mostly set up, but it had a good Obsidian/Alan moment.

1 Like