STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E. (1999-) Issues 1-4; Spoiler discussion

Spoiler discussion for STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E. (1999-) Issues 1-4

Share your thoughts, opinions, and questions of issues 1-4 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yay! Just about finished with issue 1!

1 Like

Yay! I’ll read them tonight or tomorrow:) I’ll stay out of this thread until then to avoid spoilers, but please feel free to add your thoughts wherever you want :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll wait cuz I read it as soon as I saw it on here a while ago. It’s good stuff tho. Definitely the right pick to get familiar with the Star Spangled Kid b4 the show drops.

1 Like

I read issue #0 too. Here are some of the standouts for me:

Issue #1
“Watered down Hawaiian Punch” - LOL, sigh, #highschool
The principal drinking cans of oil - that freaked me out. I did not see that coming. I thought he was just a mean guy, but there is more than meets the eye with him.
The flash back was well written. It was a smooth transition to the past and back.

Issue #2
Her snappy, rebellious teenager personality really started showing in this one. I liked the character development.

Issue #3
“What’s the 411?” - I understand this reference, but this will probably fly over the heads of younger people reading it today.
Paintball was a unique villain. I’ve never seen him before. Is he in anything else?

Issue #4
Super teen and the other magazines were fun to see in her room.
The guest appearance by Captain Marvel and his family was cool.

2 Likes

Overall, this was my first exposure to Stargirl and I liked it. I’m looking forward to learning about her powers. At this point in the story, she’s still figuring it out too.
I can’t wait to see what her new original show will be like.

2 Likes

JLWWSM

I’m so happy she’s getting a show, she’s been one of my favorites for a long time, considering she hasn’t been around too long but I loved her right away. I guess that goes for most female heroes for me. Not the since they’ve 1st were invented part but the being my favorites part. There’s something about a female lead that ever since I was a kid I gravitated towards. Like in the girls are gross years for most people I was like girls rule! Could be due to WW on super friends as I’ve said multiple times, or the fact that me & my dad were the minority’s in the family. My mom & 2 older sisters & him & he had 6 sisters in his family & my moms side was 2 sisters with 7 girls between them.

2 Likes

djd187 Thanks for sharing - that’s a great story. I think she is going to have a sassy, fun, bright, teenage-youthful show. Can’t wait!

3 Likes

JLWWSM

You bet, thanks for reciprocating with kind words. I confused myself with all those #’s and it’s my family, so I’m sure I lost some people but you’re so nice JL :star:

2 Likes

Thanks djd187
I forgot to add. In these issues, the school has taken some severe structural damage - how is it still standing ?!? lol

I hope the school will be ok moving forward. I guess I’ll find out as I continue to read the story.

2 Likes

I read the first two issues and was supposed to finish the last two yesterday but it got away from me…

But so far I love it! Stargirl is a pretty fun character. I’m interested to get to know her more as we read.

She may have to grow on me though… While I’m loving the actual comic itself, I am somewhat indifferent to Stargirl herself.

I think it’s probably because when it comes to superheroes, I’m either used to or have come to expect a little more maturity, regardless of age…

But the childishness aspect does add to the fun of the storyline of the comic as a whole.

It’s been a very fun read so far!

2 Likes

I hear ya’. I’m hoping she’ll mature / grow a bit through the series. She’s clearly having a hard time with the move, parents, etc. I’m wondering if she is “acting out” because of it, or if that’s just her personality.

It’s a change of pace to have this perspective instead of the teen heroes that are kinda born into it or raised in it, like Donna Troy or Nightwing.

2 Likes

Very good points!

It does seem like it’s her personality, but it never occurred to me that the sudden shift in his entire world could have something to do with it all.

And the fact that she was not raised in it, I’m sure is very relevant as well.

Cool!

I’m already loving this little book club!

3 Likes

I’m only 2 issues in and this has a Buffy vibe to it

1 Like

I do like the humor like in issue 2 she’s like why can’t I have a power ring

3 Likes

So how long do we have for bookclub on earth 2

I really like how we are seeing them Bond now I wasn’t sure if I would be a fan but I like it Courtney calling him tin man is funny i hope the series has the humor from the comics

2 Likes

Don’t miss the recent Justice League United that has Stargirl prominently.

1 Like

Yes, me too! It looks like it will. I’m pretty excited!

1 Like

@Davidbizzarr1000
lol at “why can’t I have a power ring”:laughing:

4 Likes