Stargirl's Trae Romano Talks Loss, Legacy and Flirting with Villainy (Spoilers!)

It’s not easy being Mike Dugan. When your father is a former sidekick and your sister is a superhero, where does that leave you? On the latest episode of DC’s Stargirl, things started to look up for Mike when he befriended the powerful Thunderbolt. Unfortunately, that story ended in heartbreak, leaving Mike more alone than ever. So, what’s next for Stargirl’s seriously frustrated little bro? We recently had a chance to chat with Trae Romano about Mike’s life after breaking up with the ’Bolt, as well as the similarities between the two Dugans, what it’s like acting opposite a CGI genie and how scared fans should be over his looming confrontation with super-villain Cindy Burman.

How much fun was it to film the Thunderbolt scenes? Obviously, you couldn’t get a live genie on set, so how did you pull it off?

Initially, I didn’t even think about it when I was reading the script, I was like, “Okay, I’m going to be talking to this imaginary Thunderbolt.” I learned my lines, and I knew my marks.

When we got to set, I realized that this is literally just me talking to air with three different cameras. Lea Thompson, who was directing that episode, always likes to use multiple cameras just to get things done quicker. Lea was literally the saving grace in doing episode three because she’s the most animated and most giving director. If I was to do that episode with any other director, it probably would have not come out as good as it did with Lea.

She had these sketches of what the Thunderbolt was going to be doing, so I could visualize it. She would get out there and kind of flail around a little bit and do a little thing to really make me visualize it and that helped absurdly. After the first few takes, there was a prop guy holding up a tennis ball on a little stick for my eyelines. And after that, it just became so second nature.

To read the full interview, head over to DC Comics!

Have you been watching the latest series of Stargirl? Let us know in the comments! :point_down:

7 Likes

I’ve been loving the new season

1 Like

Same

1 Like