STARGIRL Will Shine on DC Universe in Spring 2020

At a guess, I’d say CW is picking up a decent chunk of production costs.

Of course the CW ptb may have seen the first several episodes and said, “ok…for season 2, were in, we want, we’ll pay.”

To be fair, the premise of a Stargirl show is right down CWs street. If this is the last season of LoT, Stargirl would be a great replacement for them.

1 Like

Is this supposed to be the last season of Legends of Tomorrow?

1 Like

Offsetting production costs.

1 Like

I hope not, but LoT always seems one season away from the axe. It’s also the most expensive to produce, which is why their season is shorter. It requires the most post and has the most on location shooting. Also, both Routh and Ford (Nora Dark) are exiting the show. The filmed their last scenes for the show in October. One ca. Hope that Ray & Nora get their happily ever after. Ava is aboard the wave rider all season with Sara. Nate is working full time at the bureau. so you have a ship with Sara, Ava, Mick, Zari & Constantine. We know they are using the soul tokens as a way keep John on the ship and their basic plot line post crisis.
Vandel Savage, breaking time, Malice, magical beings, and now soul tokens. What’s the next major time relevant plot? They could bring back Savage, having reset him as part of crisis perhaps. I just wonder from a cost, character and plot standpoint. LoT is reaching a crossroads. The only two characters from the first season left are Sara and Mick. I can’t see trying to keep Constantine on the ship 3 years running. John’s character is less of a joiner than Mick.

1 Like

See your points. Although as far as Routh and Ford leaving, someone leaves every season. They have a rotating cast by design so not sure that is a sign the show is ending.

1 Like

Legends of Tomorrow is the only one I bother to watch now. Flash is the one that got boring and Supergirl is just politically whiny now.

It does make wonder if they took LoT and shortened its season by a few episodes say 14 down from and did Stargirl as a 12-13 episodes, than ran one the “half season” (episode count wise) and the other “half season” in one dedicated “full season” time slot.

1 Like

I noticed that Disney has a film by the same name coming out next year on their Plus streaming service (supposedly based on a novel by Jerry Spinelli). What timing.

1 Like

I also saw that DC officially released the first Harley Quinn episode on YouTube. Are people angry about that too? :laughing:

1 Like

Context matters. It was released over a week later, not the very next day. It’s also only the first episode to promote DC Universe, not the entire series.

1 Like

That is an interesting possibility and one I could see. Goes with what I said DCU could turn into the commercial free option with a huge comics library vs the free but commercial filled CW option. That the newer shows aren’t going to Netflix is something I keep forgetting. They’re staying on the CW site and app but guess there is no reason to not put them on DCU if you’re already doing that. It would go a long way of keeping people paying knowing they’re getting more then comics.

I still feel they need to at least get Smallville on here and perhaps some of the older Arrowverse shows at some point to make that fully clear what they’re doing if this is the direction they’re turning the service.

1 Like

Lot of shows end up releasing the first episode of a season to drive more attention to it. It’s usually temporary for like a month a few weeks after it originally aired. Now if they keep putting up episodes, don’t take them down, then people should be upset since what they’re paying for is being put out there for free.

2 Likes

Smallville is actually licensed to Hulu right now.

I think as the various licensing deals end smallville, L&C, the various CWVERSE shows will end up on HBOMAX. However, I also can see them being shared with DCU as well. I don’t see it in the short term, but, WB certainly has an opportunity in the future to make DCU a one stop shop for all their DC media. Sure, it’s shared with HBOMAX, but, it would give them consumer choice. And kinda turn the screw on Disney+ & Marvel Unlimited.

3 Likes

Agreed, and no one that is getting upset about the Stargirl situation are forgetting that CW has shorter run times and will have to cut for time. You will be paying for a show with no ads and more footage. You look at DCU shows, they run 47 to 59 minutes (pilot usually running an hour). CW shows run 42 minutes. That’s at least 5 minutes, and a LOT of story can be seen in that time. Also, Swamp Thing got unceremoniously dumped after 1 episode, possibly due to production costs. Having the ads in Stargirl gives it a LOT more revenue and the potential for bigger and better future seasons. Also, another example is Hulu offers an exclusive no ads rate and then they offer a cheaper with ads rate. Are the people paying for the premium mad at the fact that people can get the same stuff with ads for a much cheaper rate? Same is to be believed of Stargirl…

1 Like

@MovieAddict well said!

1 Like

I am simply pumped that Stargirl and the JSA will be part of the Arrowverse. We had a small glimpse of the JSA with Legends, but now it’s the whole show! Give me all the seasons now!

4 Likes

No guarantee they are part of the Arrowverse, but definitely excited to see more DC on TV…

That’s not what is happening here.

Stargirl being rebroadcast on The CW doesn’t make it part of the Arrowverse.

Thank goodness.

It doesn’t guarantee anything, but being a part of the Arrowverse is still a possibility. We really just have to wait until the show premieres, or maybe until Courtney debuts in Crisis, to know for sure

1 Like