Stargirl Season 3 Discussion Thread

The best example of a crossover in my opinion is how it was handled in Brave and the Bold #65. While that whole series was about team-ups, the Flash that appeared to fight the Brotherhood of Evil spoke more “hip” than he did in his own series. Unlike the crossovers like Green Lantern vol. 2 #75 notating continuation from Flash #191 (if I recall correctly), there was no reference to Flash teaming up with Doom Patrol outside that issue. While there may be better examples, I’m most familiar with the Silver Age comics.

Essentially, if the above example is any indicator, I’m fine with crossovers that fulfill two goals: one, adapt the “crossovered” character to be slightly different-personality and otherwise- for the crossover; and two, don’t reference the crossover once done. The latter is more significant, but there is an exception.

Using the Arrow show as reference, while it introduced Barry Allen in Season Two and later brought up that subplot later in the season, there wasn’t another show to reference, so it worked. Or, the Armageddon plot in Flash, there wasn’t another show that needed to be watched to continue that crossover. So, if Flash referenced Armageddon after those five episodes (which I’m sure it did), that crossover makes sense as it’s self-contained.

If this seemed redundant or unclear, I apologize.

Edit: I know this post is longer than some people will read, but I just had a pseudo-epiphany. I get that people love crossovers and while I mean no offense to their wish, crossing Titans and Stargirl together would be, arguably, one of the dumbest decisions that could be made. It’s like taking Deadpool and Care Bears and making an arc with them. Will the Titans drop f-bombs on Stargirl?, Will JSA drop them on Titans?, What about the violence and other content? Of course, it can be done, but mixing a TV-PG show with a TV-MA just seems odd.

6 Likes

Was debating whether to just accept your response to my own, or respond to it. So, having chosen the latter, let me say this. I agree with your comments about slight personality differences and “other things” being acceptable when crossovers happen. Except of course when the story is being authored by a writer of both characters (or series). There, continuity and characterization should be spot-on!

Marvel is juggling this concern right now. With their plans to bring “R” rated Deadpool into the PG-13 arena of the MCU. I’m sure they’ll work it out. Just as I have little doubt that every effort will be made to insure a relatively smooth and enjoyable transition will occur when the heroes of Earths 9 & 21 meet those of Earth 2.

Keep in mind, we first went through this, over 50 years ago, when Batman met the Green Hornet in '67. The concern was … well, there wasn’t any really. The Hornet operated in the “real world” of hoods and racketeers. Compared to Batman’s fantasy one. The decision was made (by producer William Dozier) to put one with the other, for promotional purposes. And it worked (more or less). No harm, no foul. And, as you say " don’t reference the crossover once done." I’m pretty sure that never happened.

So, I say give this expected crossover a chance. Worst case scenario, at the end of it you get to say " Just like I thought, that really sucked! " :grinning:

7 Likes

I hadn’t seen the last two episodes before posting that…now I see why.

7 Likes

See why he’s hated?

5 Likes

I don’t hate Sylvester, everyone may seem suspicious of him, yes he may have jump a gun a few times, I think he probably miss being Starman and wish things with JSA would be back to normal, and yes he has to learn the hard way that things have change.
Looking forward to watching tonight episode. :grinning:

:00_stargirl:

6 Likes

No episode tonight. It comed on next week.

5 Likes

He treats Pat like crap and that’s not a new personality trait, he did it even way back when. His personality overall is not that of a role model.

6 Likes

Why was there a break anyway?

5 Likes

I do not know. Probably scheduling reasons with other shows.

5 Likes

Sylvester is so happy

5 Likes

We know from trailers Yolanda is in a fight in Cindy’s room. I am predicting another thing attacks her and beats her, and she thinks it is Cindy.

4 Likes

Okay, I think we can all agree that Sylvester has real issues with anger management…

Somehow I think Courtney’s romance with Cameron is going to end in tears. I think it is so funny that Mike and Jakeem tried to recruit Cindy into their new group (I cracked up at “The Young All-Stars”). I still can’t figure out who killed The Gambler…

5 Likes

Is Young All-Stars from the comics?

4 Likes

This was one heck of an episode, it got me to absolutely hate Yolanda and Rick! Who’s Rick to talk about anger management?! I mean, Rick of all people! Then there’s Yolanda whose default setting this season is judge everyone when a hero is not supposed to do that.

They better not make Cameron a secret psychopath after that “art camp” discussion!

6 Likes

I think it means the JSA All-Stars from 2009.

4 Likes

Actually, there was a 1987-1989 series called Young All-Stars. After the original COIE erased Earth Two Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman writer Roy Thomas decided to create teen aged analogues of them. Besides the already existing Dan, the Dynamite, Neptune Perkins and Tsunami he introduced the Canadian Native American Flying Fox as a Batman substitute, the Greek heroine Fury and the American son of pulp hero and major influence on Superman Arn Munroe the Gladiator; Iron Munroe as Wonder Woman and Superman analogues.
The JSA All-Stars was partially a callback to that series.

5 Likes

Young All-Stars was indeed a DC title. It ran for 2 years, from '87 to '89, as @mercurie80 appears to know well. But, on to my own comments, as this was another great episode.

Beginning with the rehabilitation of Sylvester Pemberton (that I hoped was in the works), which has led to his proper mentoring of the Jr.JSAers. And Courtney was right on the money when she called out her judgemental teammates. Cindy certainly had her share of screen time last night. Appearing to show an honest concern for “new girl’s” welfare. We also got a hilarious scene of Mike and Jakeem with Ms. Burman.

Wow. Talk about a flashback to my “much” younger years (high school, to be exact), I remember asking out a real pretty senior who I’d had my eye on for awhile. Me being a sophomore back then, and sooo full of myself. It was the first time I ever tried to date an “older woman.” Like Cindy, she let me down easy. Had she chosen to be a real b—h about it, she could have crushed my fragile young ego with just a few words. I’ll always be grateful, she didn’t. But, I digress.

Cindy might’ve made an interesting addition to these fledgling “Young All-Stars” that our Jr. varsity wannabees are looking to start up. It’ll be interesting to see who else they try to recruit. Loving the Crocks more 'n more. But I have a feeling it wouldn’t take much for them to again, find the “darkside.” And let’s not forget, they’ve still never paid in full, for their parts in the deaths of JSA members.

All in all, a pretty good hour of storytelling, minus action scenes. Can’t wait until Wildcat confronts Shiv, and the action kicks into high gear! Well, that’s my 2 dents. Over 'n out!

5 Likes

Last week Crusher said they got out of prison on a loophole so as far as the state is concerned they may be all squared up.Sylvester may be a different story.

7 Likes

I think he may have been referring to their actions in Blue Valley. Not the much earlier final confrontation with the JSA. But, my memory could be wrong on that.

5 Likes

A fun callback, nice. The so-called redemption of Starman is so not lasting, but it was good what he said about Courtney and Cameron.

6 Likes