Stargirl S1, E5 Reaction Thread - šŸšØ WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD šŸšØ

Honestly this show is coming out amazingly
I love how we get it ā€œ2 daysā€ early rather than having to wait for Tuesday to come around.
Their pacing is fast but also not too fast where they start skipping details

It was nice to Cindy and the picture of her father (dragon king) without his mask.

Rick joining the team but I feel like the revenge part is gonna be a conflict in the later episodes bc Iā€™m not sure if they are on the no killing side like other heroā€™s

I wonder how itā€™s gonna go with Beth bc her dad seems to be a mystery with him always be away could he be a hero or villain maybe shade :man_shrugging:t4:

The green lantern teaser was nice but they havenā€™t really hinted at whoā€™s it gonna be

I feel like brainwave jr is gonna change to be a good guy once him and Yolanda actually talk about what happened that day and how Cindy took his phone, and also how they gonna reveal Cindy to be a supervillain.

Since Iā€™m nosey and stuff the wiki/fandom tells you which characters are who aka sports master, and tigerss.

I also think that the janitor maybe the fiddler bc Pat did mention he was a Irish guy. I think Iā€™ll stop here

3 Likes

Great episode,
I thought Rickā€™s story was heartbreaking, as a parent myself I couldnā€™t even imagine having to do that to my children.

At first I actually thought Beth was a pretty rude just inviting herself in to the Whitmoreā€™s home and then just go into Courtneyā€™s room. I mean I understand the socially awkward character that doesnā€™t really know boundaries.
I did like her at the party dancing in the background lol.

Speaking of the party. Wow Cindy is a piece of work. I honestly dont understand how her ā€œbest friendā€ is friends with her.

Henry getting his powers, I have a feeling they might keep him bad for a while. When he finds out that Stargirl put his dad in the hospital, he will want the same revenge like Rick.

I thought it was been known for a few episodes who Sportsmaster and Tigress where. The gym owner and a teacher in school.

The Janitor is not the Fiddler, the Janitor is a hero that was part of the Seven Soldiers of Victory.

The Green Lantern tease at the end, hmm. I will be the first to admit I was wrong when I said there will be no new Green Lantern. I hope its Jenny Hayden. (Alan Scottā€™s daughter)

3 Likes

I love this episode (as well as the first 4). The story is very well put together and it seems everyone introduced that has a part, well, they arenā€™t just filler parts.
I need to rewatch because I missed the picture of Cindy and her dad but I figured that she was the daughter of King Oba with the more than just evil vibe I was getting from her.
Iā€™ve been wondering about Sportsmaster but in hindsight, that should have been obvious he was the gym owner and Tigress, I was pretty sure that was the teacher that directed Courtney to the table of ā€œlosersā€ as Beth names it.
I am finding myself wondering about the janitor, what part he will play. He is in the background in a number of scenes but with focus on him.
Again, I need to rewatch the episode because I missed the Green Lantern tease. I have watched all of the previous episodes each about a dozen times now catching new details I previously missed nearly ever time. Also, did I mention, I really enjoy watching the show? It is leaps and bounds better than the other super hero shows on the CW and seems to be on par with top movies. I hate waiting for each episode but, dang it, it gives me something to look forward to on tv again, after many years of disappointing shows.
Since we have the Green Lantern tease, who might inherit the pink pen, the most powerful item of all in the JSA?

1 Like

Oh dear god no to mikey as the new gl

Bad enough at one time i thought he was gettiing the pen till.jakeem was mentioned

I didnt realize the costume court had on was guzmo also

Janitor is the hero the shining knight

Geoff johns has said the pen and the lantern arent just easter eggs they will.come to play soon enough

The team is all set even if some of the members wish Beth wouldnā€™t talk as much. Not sure even if Beth has even excepted the role of Dr. Mid-Nite. Looking forward to seeing what Pat has to say to the new JSA members. Looking forward to seeing more of the ISA next week.

1 Like

I thought it was pretty rude when Courtney and Yolanda told her to go home when she was only trying to help. Youā€™d think Yolanda would be more compassionate considering the whole school and her family basically hates her and she should know what it feels like to be left out.

3 Likes

Overall a great episode, and I think Cameron Gellmanā€™s performance was the breakout for the episodeā€¦

But the BIGGEST reveal was an almost throwaway. When the Chuck AI brings up the file for the Original Dr. Mid-nite, it lists his date of birth as 1914 and notes that he was a JSA member from 1941-2010ā€¦ That means that, when we see the JSA battle in the pilot, he is somehow 96 YEARS OLD! Furthermore, the timeline for the JSA hasnā€™t moved to be more modern, they actually were founded in the 1940sā€¦ So that leaves open the possibility that Sylvester isnā€™t actually the first Starmanā€¦ Ted Knight was mentioned as having built the cosmic staff, but now it seems as if he may have been the original Starman, as well!

All of this is VERY exciting to me, and it opens up so many possibilities that I didnā€™t even consider before!

7 Likes

Great episode! Itā€™s really cool how the goggles work. Though I find it funny McNider had a twitter account. XD

One thing that confuses me, is that Charles McNider was born in 1914. What gets me is that in the first episode, Dr. Mid-Nite doesnā€™t look anywhere close to 96 years old. Iā€™m thinking it could just be an error, or maybe all the JSAers had their aging slowed through other means? Maybe Beth should ask Chuck about that. XD

I know Beth is nosy, but she genuinely wants to help. I couldnā€™t help but feel bad for her.

We finally have Justin speak! I really hope we see him suit up at one point.

Why not have Mikey as the new Green Lantern. Guy Gardner is a Green Lantern so why not Mikey.

Itā€™s not an error. All the data that Chuck displays was intentional and came directly from Geoff Johns.
Confirmed by Geoff himself.

2 Likes

So in that case, McNider physically remained younger looking through some other means. I wonder if Hootie has something to do with it. Pat did mention something was special about him.

Wanna know how I know this is a good show? I look forward to it by the time Saturday rolls around and watch it as soon as I get up Monday. Thereā€™s forward momentum with each episode and the lore keeps expanding, similar to and exceeding the infectious feeling from Flash or Arrowā€™s first seasons. There are plenty of unresolved issues that can seed future plotlines, and theyā€™re all superhero-adjacent and baked into each characterā€™s personality/origin so they shouldnā€™t feel out of left field when they happen.

Johns always includes a hothead on his teams, eh? They make for good story catalysts.

I love how the Young JSA are very obviously recruiting and talking out loud about being superheroes around town while the villains quietly consolidate their power among themselves. Rookies versus pros. Pat was wise to keep Courtney in on the supervillain hunting, but I hope he gives her the third degree after finding Green Lanternā€™s, uh, lantern in a plain bag. What if the lantern gets assigned to someone by the book for a while then -swerve- Keli Quintela hacks it and makes it her own?I think a subversive M.O. would make a neat counterpoint to, say, Jakeem and Thunderbolt. ā€œHey! Cosmic powers come with rules!ā€

Another episode of casually cruel Cindy. No complaints over her party-related villainy, though she needs to up her game soon if sheā€™s going to be a threat. Good cross-promotion of the Yeah Yeah Yeahsā€™ ā€œHeads Will Rollā€ along with Birds of Prey.

1 Like

The show continues to impress me. It has a good take on legacy as well as what is practical on a TV budget. The tweaks to Dr. Midnight via the goggles works for me, as does the DNA link to the ā€œone hour of powerā€. I love how the villains are being portrayed - cold, calculating, all business. It is a good counterpoint to the rookie heroes being put together.

2 Likes

Loved This Episode! The Team Is Coming Together! Iā€™m So Impressed!

Rick Is Going To Have A Hard Time Controlling His Anger Now That He Has The Hourglass.

Beth As Dr. Mid-Nite Is Absolutely Cool! She Talks A Lot But I Can See Her Being A Key Member Of The Team. Wickedly Smart!!!

1 Like

Thought is was a good episode, especially for more background and some other information on the characters.
Sorry but not for nothing Beth is extremely annoying ,rude and immature ;literally just breaking the umbilical cord from her parents
The show is done well and has Great production and effects , but at times it has that scooby doo/ goosebumps feel to it. And then other times when it has an Awesome comic book/hero feel ,and I really like the way the Villians are coming out especially they way they look and act, way better then the Heroes are looking although Stripes came out Great lol, I hope the heroes start to look better. but these are just my thoughts lol.
PMA EVERYDAY!!!

Every time someone speaks ill of Beth, I understand Rick better.

1 Like

Holy Smoke Batman! What another great episode! :batman_hv_2:

Rickā€™s backstory with his parents was very sad. Rick taking on Grundy in a future episode will be a lot of fun though! :grin: Iā€™m sure Courtney and Yolanda will make his track to be more for justice than revenge in the endā€¦ Well, after he gets a few punches in for revenge first. :sweat_smile:

Oh poor Beth. She has not had the best track record with everyone with her awkwardness, but I think she will grow more comfortable in her role for the team. Very cool googles and once Hooty finds her that should help her out even more. :owl:

Justin the Janitorā€¦ He speaketh! Should he catch the news when Stargirl, S.T.R.I.P.E., and the rest of the team make the news, perhaps he just might remember somethingā€¦ :thinking: :wink:

It was also a nice Easter Egg for Courtney having her ā€œtroubleā€ with a canineā€¦ Heā€™s still a good boy Courtney, gotta give him a bone! :dog: :joy:

Speaking of Easter Eggs, that satellite dish though! I wonder how much theyā€™ll get into Dragon Kingā€™s plans since weā€™ve seen him and they are in the building phases now this season. I wonder if it could also spill over into next season (which we will hopefully get eventually), or if that will play out this season as they tackle the Injustice Society. :thinking:

The Green Lantern is also trying to work! Paging Alan Scott, are you there? Or, are your kids about to show up in the area? Will be fun finding outā€¦ :sunglasses: :+1:

And oh boy Pat, Courtney has some explaining to do! :fearful: :sweat_smile:

1 Like