*Spoilers* Let's Talk and Appreciate Batman: White Knight

Ok, so i came back here just to say that I finally finished the run. OMG the ending with batman and Gordon blew me away. It was such a great story!

I really liked it while it was coming out. That said, there were some things that struck me the wrong way (the ending chief among them), and, if Sean Murphy has any weaknesses, it’s his writing. It wavers from just subtle enough to be thoughtful and clever to just blatant enough to be one-dimensional and uninteresting. (Punk Rock Jesus, anyone?) Point being, I enjoyed it, and the art is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t consider it the modern classic that many seem to revere it as.

2 Likes

Makes you wonder if it might of happened.

Oh? What did they add for the special edition?

He has the verve of Paul Pope with his writing/art combo. Sean has a fantastic line style showing on those pages.

Ending was too happily wrapped up with everyone at there very best in the end I enjoyed it alot but the ending felt very black and white fairy tale . amazing art and for the most part engaging writing but sometimes a little bit simplistic and ending kinda too happy .

Just finished it. I was really iffy on the concept which resulted in a false start. After reading through it though I really loved it.

I actually enjoyed it even though there were some things I wasn’t too fond of. I see it as an extended version of B:TAS. It is B:TAS for adults if that makes sense. I wasn’t too keen on him using the book to indulge in his Joker/Harley shipper fantasies. Tom King did this with Bat/Cat in his run. I get that writers have their preferences but it got a little too much. Other than that, I do think White Knight is a solid read. I love the commentary on contemporary politics.

2 Likes

I just reasontly binge read it here on a sleepless night(one of the better ways to appreciate a bat book) and I cant help but wonder what was in Alfred’s room. however i also enjoyed how Penny-one went out saving the life his son. (making me tear up a little thinking about it) i liked the two Harley Quinn twist. i enjoyed all the Easter eggs it had. from every bat mobile ever seen on screen being in the climax. i also enjoyed that Jack Napper and would love Jack Nicholson voicing Napper if we see this adapted into a animated film however a cool twist would be if of Mark Hamill voices the joker as he really is the voice of Joker for me as i grew up with B:TAS.

got to admit the Injustice comics and Harly quinn TV show converted me to IVYquinn shipper,and i hated how Joker was an SOB to Harleen Quinzel, i liked how Neo-joker was surprised that she was basically treated to a Gentlemanly Joker who saved her life. it really shined a light on just how complex a being Joker is. it sounds bad no mater how i spin it but i have to say I enjoyed the re-envisioning of of Jason Todd’s brutalization by the joker as the New 52 and rebirth kept it the same as it originally was, with joker doing it to learn who batman really is, then not using that information and keeping it from Napper. then Harleen saving Jason.

However, I would have preferred some IvyQuinn friend moments even just them sharing an apartment since they had been friends since almost her inception in Batman TAS as they befriended each other in season one of the show which also introduced her.I would also have liked some BatCat going on because I honestly i want some happiness in Bruce Wayne’s life. And the Cat makes the bat happy.

2 Likes