[SpoileršŸšØ] Swamp Thing Ep. #04 Open Discussion Thread

When we are talking about character development, understand the show is called Swamp Thing. They didnā€™t name the show Alec Holland, nobody would watch. So you cannot have a ton of character development because everyone wants to see Swampy. Thatā€™s one criticism from a member easily knocked down.

1 Like

I do think the actor portraying Alec was good enough that he made that good first impression on Abby. I hope that we get more flashbacks and altered reality with that actor.

2 Likes

This episode and series are both terrific and DC Universe is insane for having it cancelled. What a terrible idea.

4 Likes

I personally want to see Blue Devil. Ian Seeing was great in this episode!

1 Like

Abbyā€™s a great character and I enjoy the show. However to this point the show should be called Abby not swamp thing. Weā€™ve gotten very little of the title character.

I enjoy that we donā€™t ge ta lot of Swamp Thingā€¦thatā€™s how it should beā€¦heā€™s a ā€œmonsterā€ ā€¦ but that being said, there was no forming of any sort of in depth relationship between he and Abby. If we want to have any caring between the two, we needed to have the context. I think the idea of keeping Swamp Thing in the background is a good idea, but the execution and other characters are poorā€¦ You need to have well developed characters so that we donā€™t notice this. Aside from Woodrue (maybe) thereā€™s no one here that i really want to know more about. Contrast this with Doom Patrolā€¦and literally every episode left me wanting more of the charactersā€¦

Thereā€™s so many places they can go with the series. Iā€™m sad the end is nearer after every episode. Canā€™t wait till they get into more of the lore of the green and black. And for Abby to get her white hair. More blue devil!? So much potential, canā€™t wait till next episode.

1 Like

Oh man Abbyā€™s nightmare! Is that Anton are we gonna get him or are we gonna get him as the avatar of the rot??? So many questions. This show is amazing!

To everyone who is saying ā€œthis show was just filler, and not needed in a ten part seriesā€. You have to remember, this season was written as a 13 episode season and additional seasons were expected . They had to cut it down to 10, after the tenth episode was filmed. So there was no going back to cut out the extras that they no longer needed due to shortened season/series. Iā€™m sure if the writers knew it would have only been a 10 part mini series, before they wrote the scripts, the season/series would have been different, so I wouldnā€™t hold that against the show.

Also, the relationship between Alec and Abby, is paper thin, but I donā€™t see the problem with that. In fact I kinda feel like that was intended. She was clearly interested in him. It was a start of a beautiful relationship, cut short. My two cents.

4 Likes

PLEASE donā€™t blame DCU for STā€™s cancellation. Theyā€™re as upset about it as we are. It was NOT the decision of our FRIENDS at DCU to cancel a show of this calibre.

It was greedy suits a lot higher up than DCU who disappointed everyone.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how to feel if DC hold the copy right then they should have right make any movie or shows they want,and not let anyone dictate to them otherwise. I dont completely understand but when I read that some moron allowed the show to be canceled before it really began and what I have seen of this show so far has alot potential to keep viewers happy with story line as well as graphics and we all know studios in last 10 15 years have worried more about graphics then making movies or shows have real story lines. I will be sad to see this show end. I am proud of DC for not selling out like that other company did I wonā€™t name names just lost alot my respect.

@Avatarofthegreen: Filler isnā€™t needed in a 13-episode season any more than it is in a 10-episode season.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really enjoying this show. I just caught up this weekend after some travel and I think itā€™s another hit for this app. Really have enjoyed the approach to SWAMP THING, and not hiding him. While i have to admit the negative buzz on this site and in the trades had dampened the excitement, Iā€™m so glad to enjoy the show as much as i do.

1 Like

@DigificWriter: okay, fair enough.

I guess I fail to see what exactly you would claim is filler though? I assumed, which is my fault, that you were speaking of Anton Arcaneā€™s appearance as filler, since we probably wonā€™t get very deep with his story line before the end of the tenth episode. Would you offer a few examples of filler, since I clearly missed it?

One of the cancellation rumors that made the rounds a few weeks ago involved some tension between creative visions for the series. One involved a deeper, season-long story arc steeped in horror while the other wanted more of a monster-of-the-week, police procedural kind of vibe.

This episode was firmly in the second camp, and as such, does kind of seem like the odd episode out compared to the first three.

Some rumors about WB wanting a more procedural formulatmatic (sp) approach is that Swamp Thing production tried to accommodate them to a point but it wasnā€™t good enough. So might be why this one seemed more like a monster of the week episode. Could be the rest of the season will become more like this, for better or worse. Although honestly, I thought this was the best episode so far.

There were zero disagreements between the showrunners and executives over tone and style; reports to the contrary are false.

@Avatarofthegreen: This episode was ā€œfillerā€ because it did not advance the seriesā€™ story arc in any meaningful way, and what small important narrative details it contained could have been presented in a different way.

Nobody has mentioned that the title of the episode is also the name of a fantastic song by Bruce Springsteen

^ Itā€™s also the name of an excellent 5th season episode of the television series Once Upon a Time.