[Spoiler🚨] Swamp Thing Ep. #04 Open Discussion Thread

#SaveSwampThing for sure, especially after episode 4

1 Like

God this show is so great. It makes me hope for a Deadman series or, even better, a Justice League Dark live action series. All of the necessary elements are in this show! I really hope they continue with this series. Also, super stoked for Woodrue to become Floronic Man.

2 Likes

My sentiment is gonna go against most comments so far. While a good show, Swamp Thing is my least favorite out of the DCU shows. Partly because I’m just not a huge fan of horror, and partly because I find it a bit slow. The slowness was most evident for me in this week’s episode. Guy gets infected by darkness…it spreads…Abby sends darkness back to swamp via Alec. In between the the little action bits I found myself not caring much.
Not saying the show is bad by any means. It’s very well produced/acted and I think it nails it as a moody horror show, but I guess that’s just not my speed. I don’t dislike it; just not fully engrossed in it, yet. That could of course change as it progresses. Keep on keeping on, DCU!

I have been critical of this show so far, but I got to say I really enjoyed this episode. The Darkness storyline was great and kept the episode moving at a better pace then most of them. The dish washing scene got to me for sure, largely because I am afraid of snakes myself, and the robbery nightmare was very well done, as was Abby’s scene in the swamp. I would ordinarily think that was supposed to be an abusive father, but given this is Swamp Thing I too, think this is shades of Anton Arcane. A character who’s suspiciously absent from this series as he was the one constant in the movies and 90’s TV series, Even Abby wasn’t in the TV series but Anton Arcane was.

I also liked the Dan Cassidy storyline, which has been the highlight of the episode. He is a very mysterious character and I like they are doing that kind of mysterious what’s their deal kind of storyline with someone who isn’t so brooding and sombre, it is an interesting change of pace. Definitely been the highlight of the series.

All in all agreat episode. A good monster of the week type of storyline and better pacing, and less feeling like a soap opera with Swamp Thing occasionally showing up that the previous episodes have felt like. Hope we get more good ones like this.

1 Like

I liked Episode 4 quite a bit as a piece of television, but it has to be admitted that it was the definition of “filler”, which, in a 10-episode season/series, is really unnecessary.

The cast continues to own their respective roles - especially Crystal Reed and Derek Mears, who have massive chemistry despite the fact that Derek is acting in a massive prosthetic suit - and so it was nice to see their characters interact more, but you could have gotten that in a different way, one that actually advanced the story instead of putting us in a "holding pattern"narratively.

I do continue to be intrigued by Dan Cassidy’s story, especially now that we have strong implications that he’s already encountered Nebiros and/or Neron, but that plot does need to advance more than it has.

If the show had gotten to finish its full production run, I think it’s safe to say that we would have seen Abby’s hallucination lead somewhere, but now I think it will just end up being part of the wider tapestry of her character.

After 3 extremely excellent entries, “Darkness on the Edge of Town” ended up registering as a but if a disappointment because of its “filler” nature, but here’s hoping that Episode 5 is more consequential and marks a return to form for the show.

2 Likes

Episode 4 had to the strongest darkest episode yet the way it started was just crazy i was YIKES. Abby’s hallucination its seem like we might have another hint to her past beside Shawna. Also we get a little more insight as to why Avery hates the swamp so much.

All my thoughts in my video review: https://youtu.be/RMTV5ASgyxk

1 Like

Best screen version of Swamp Thing ever, and perhaps the best Swamp Thing story!
SO SAD to hear there will not be a season two. My subscription to DC Universe will go away when Swamp Thing does.

6 Likes

The horror was really good on this episode. My whole body seized up when that guy was cutting his arm. Unfortunately I felt the writing and execution of the script was a bit choppy this episode. Hope it clears up. Still a great show overall.

2 Likes

I’ll be very disappointed if DC Universe gets cancelled along with Swamp Thing. That’s the rumor.

^ DC Universe’s future is not in jeopardy.

3 Likes

The relationships between the characters are razor thin at best…I don’t buy for a moment that Abby suddenly has some connection with Alec after talking with him for an evening… Even her relationship that will grow with Matt Cable…while it’s more solid because we have some backstory, it just feels hollow…and that’s my problem with the show. You can tell it’s an adaptation of a book…unlike Doom patrol where it went so heavy into the characters, I was invested from the 2nd or 3rd episode. With this show I feel like the character roles are here…but not the feeling…

2 Likes

This season keeps getting better and better it is beyond heartbreaking that no attempts are being done to save a show that is the best version of The Guardian of the Green ever. I feel like next to Wonder Woman and Aquaman this is one of the best received DC properties and an enormous following and love of the direction of this series.

5 Likes

Really liked the episode but I’m a bit confused. Ep.3 dealt with The Rot, that was obvious. But this infectious darkness, was it something else? It couldn’t have been the same rot from episode 3 because it was really unleashed when the guys were trying to cut the tree. What was it exactly? And was the faceless man in Abby’s dream Anton Arcane? If so, then her connection to the Rot may be mentioned next episode. Really looking fwd to it!

2 Likes

The “darkness” wasn’t tied to any of the Elemental Kingdoms.

It was instead implied to be some sort of mystical curse or plague.

I agree it does seem a little bit forced that Abby suddenly has some connection with Alec after talking with him for an evening, but we know it happens, and I guess at this point he has saved her life as Swamp Thing multiple times. I see a connection when they talk about epidemiology and botanical research as Abby and Swamp Thing, they have an intellectual bond, and she romanticizes science.

2 Likes

Guys, I’m also bummed there won’t be more after this season. But can we just enjoy that there’s almost 10 hours of this to enjoy and not spend all discussions lamenting its end?

Because seriously. I need more comments about how G.D. good that snake scene was executed. Show of hands who gasped out loud when he grabbed the knife?

5 Likes

More so, I was wondering who this idiot is…and why I should care… Another big downside to this show is that they’ve just been tossing at us redneck cannon fodder who end up dead… There’s only so many random backwater hicks that die before I stop caring… Abby feels untouchable and immune to anything apparently…no thought of quarantine exists in this town… I do enjoy that Abby keeps returning to the Swamp, completely unprotected or free of any medical protection, but they need to show that it comes from a place of almost wild fascination with Swamp Thing… not just making her seem to be an idiot. Because we got almost 0 in terms of relationship building, her continously going back to the area of infection without as much of a mask just makes her feel like one of those idiotic teens in a slasher movie. This show needs more setup…and more character building. Right now all of these characters feel like cardboard

4 Likes

Hearing Swamp Thing was going to deliver both a practical costume and horror genre elements made this show my most anticipated of the DCU originals, and Episode 4 continues to build upon those parts fantastically. That garbage disposal scene! chef’s kisses. Even when the gory isn’t always realistic, I’m loving what the show’s bringing. Abby Arcane continues to be a strong focal point, and Ian Ziering continues to surprise as Daniel Cassidy, who’s storyline gets a little more focus in this episode. The Darkness was also a cool touch that offered some interesting scenes.

HOWEVER, I was sadly a little disappointed in this episode, mainly in the editing, writing, and direction departments. Episode 4 feels very much like a filler entry, which isn’t necessary in a 10 episode one-time season. While I like how much Swamp Thing feels like the horror movie Splinter (which is pretty gnarly and great btw) meets X-Files, that monster of the week style episode doesn’t really fit into this narrative, and leaving this episode feeling kinda pointless in the long run. The dialogue and episode direction also felt very clunky, especially between Swamp Thing and Abby. The show also continues to be annoyingly vague about everything, with Swamp Thing just offering very matter-of-fact statements about how the swamp’s upset, which gets tiresome after awhile.

While I hate to be negative and I really do enjoy this show, episode 4 was somewhat a bummer. The great opening and later dreamlike sequences feels like they deserve an episode that’s better written and has more justification to exist beyond having some filler for the season.The character of Swamp Thing continues to delight as a spectacle of practical effects, and overall, the episode is still decent. I just kinda wish it had given me more reasons to care it existed beyond some nasty effects and a few creepy moments. Still excited for Episode 5 though!

3 Likes

Making sure we don’t out right hate slam Avery Sutherland was a subtle method. The absence of a main antagonist feels a bit hosh posh. Too many potentials is leading to low threat. I am actually going to take the side of the argument that a weekly “bad guy” will not leave an impression. First impressions are only important if you make an impression!
The cg was on point, yet could have let the possibility of the hallucinations being real linger a bit longer till Dr. Arcane met “?”.

2 Likes

I have no idea what some of y’all are talking about. This episode was the best so far. The Darkness is a great and interesting idea to introduce into this world and Swampy’s interactions with Abby continue to be great.

2 Likes