🚨SPOILER ALERT🚨 Young Justice: Outsiders Ep. 20 Discussion Thread

This episode was a very nice and needed serious episode. I love down episodes (when I say down I mean episodes more focused on building the world around the characters and developing the characters rather than just developing the overarching plot. When they started the episode with the fully robotic plot I was a little worried that they might end up having too many subplots to develop and tie in but they handled it well and I loved seeing how they took the relationship with Victor and Silas in this ep. I was really waiting for when or if they would touch on Kaldurs sexuality given that he is canonically gay in the comics. now reading some of the previous comics i am curious to see who his lover is if it is Garth (which would be an interesting twist that they both bonded over the death of Tula) or if it was someone different. Overall I love how this series is handling some of the heavier topics that face the young adults of our day. Also the message about domestic abuse and the hotline i fount to be a very good touch and good thing to leave the story off on. It makes me wonder how they will take Harper’s character going forward.

1 Like

Thoughts:
• Love what YJ is doing with the New Gods lore.
• Happy that some forgotten characters (Cyborg, Black Lightening, Kaldur) got some screen time this week, though completely excluding the Outsiders team continues to highlight the shows difficulty balancing character appearances.
• Very emotional episode, which YJ does best imo. Between Victor/Silas relationship, Violet reconnecting with her past family, and Harper Row’s abuse issue, episode 20 did a lot of emotional heavy lifting, which was very well done.
• I love that Kaldur’s homosexuality is being featured in the show, but it did feel a little…out of place? I like the switch they pulled, but after everything with Garth/Tula, Kaldur being Bi or just gay feels like something that should have been addressed either sooner or with a little more clarity. Happy for the representation though!
• The continuing threads of Terra’s eventual betrayal and who exactly Dr. Jace is talking to are still very exciting.

While this season’s writing and storyline specifically are not quite up to the past two’s levels, I continue to love both the old and new characters and the care everyone working on the show seems to have for them. On to the next!

Thoughts:
• Happy that some forgotten characters (Cyborg, Black Lightening, Kaldur) got some screen time this week, though completely excluding the Outsiders team continues to highlight the shows difficulty balancing character appearances.
• Very emotional episode, which YJ does best imo. Between Victor/Silas relationship, Violet reconnecting with her past family, and Harper Row’s abuse issue, episode 20 did a lot of emotional heavy lifting, which was very well done.
• I love that Kaldur’s homosexuality is being featured in the show, but it did feel a little…out of place? I like the switch they pulled, but after everything with Garth/Tula, Kaldur being Bi or just gay feels like something that should have been addressed either sooner or with a little more clarity. Happy for the representation though!
• The continuing threads of Terra’s eventual betrayal and who exactly Dr. Jace is talking to are still very exciting.

While this season’s writing and storyline specifically are not quite up to the past two’s levels, I continue to love both the old and new characters and the care everyone working on the show seems to have for them. On to the next!

Thoughts:

2 Likes

What was Kaldur lying to Orin about, exactly? Do we know, or is it a mystery?

I’m starting to think Im the only one who speaks arabic and watches this show. Dont get me wrong this episode was great… but the arabic certainly wasnt i felt they needed someone who speaks arabic to write the script bc the feminine and masculine was all screwed up :I. Im debating whether the Arabic in Arrow was worse or not hmm. but seriously i loved the harper row arc in this episode.

2 Likes

@HubCityQuestion Kaldur new that they didnt actually defeat Ivo (it was a publicity stunt from the last episode) but he pretended it was real in front of former Aquaman

4 Likes

@HCQ yeah I agree with @Reemome also probably the whole Batman and outsider thing in general is whats eating him up.

1 Like

@Reemome Is worse than Aquaman’s awful attempt at speaking Icelandic in Justice League? It was so terrible the Icelandic version actually put Icelandic subtitles over it.

*Is it.

Ok this season feels too scattered they have to balance batman inc with the team with the outsiders but it just doesn’t feel right also I believe it’s just a little too 2019 or political I know it supposed to be more adult but for some reason it’s feels less adult than the earlier seasons it just feels off

6 Likes

The Aquaman kiss came out of nowhere :flushed:A little bit of a lead into it would have helped out. As for the Terra stuff… spoiler alert… if you’re a comic book fan and have read teen titans at all​:roll_eyes:then you know this character was a mole that was planted to get info and to help bring down the team but she ended up being a fallen hero to the teen titans. Also she was a romantic prospect for beastboy. Can’t wait to see what they decide to put into this version :hugs:

3 Likes

It was a pretty good episode but aquaman kiss scene just didn’t make any sense at all . Season 1 aqualad loved tulip and she died and in season 2 he still mourned her death and still loved her . I have no problem with aquaman being gay or bi, but this straight up came out of nowhere and now it feels like they are just adding these serious scenes with no sense at all just for the sake of it … I’ll tune in next week but I’m going to be upset for awhile .

2 Likes

I would love to see a spinoff series that runs congruently to this series, that shows what Batman inc., and friends are doing.

9 Likes

Oops. Wrote my comment for this in the “community” section. Anyway! Loved it.

I don’t care what Kaldur prefers, but making Garth, the original Aqualad, gay out of nowhere after his love interest died? That’s like saying Dick or Wally were gay.

3 Likes

Are we sure that it’s Garth? His hair seems a lot longer than when we last saw him a couple of episodes ago.

1 Like

Sorry, not even a couple episodes ago. The beginning of the previous episode.

1 Like

This episode felt a bit like season one “downtime” but with no primary focus. I love seeing more characters but the episodes don’t seem long enough to house all the development that needs to take place. I am also confused as to who Kaldur’s boyfriend is, he looks similar to Garth but is definitely not him as the designs are different and Gath is on the surface currently. I think each story thread in this episode could have been fleshed out into its own episode really. Still love it though!

2 Likes

So when are we getting season 4 and MORE Static Shock???