:renegade_robins: [Spoiler 5] Stephanie's Expecting! (Oct. 15-31)

Secret Origins Stephanie

The Renegade Robins Club is about to be a mother! Okay, maybe it’s just Stephanie, but we’re excited nonetheless! Revisit this iconic story with us!

Join the club today!

Here’s our schedule: 2021-10-15T05:00:00Z2021-10-31T05:00:00Z

Click the drop-down boxes below!

Spoiler Alert!
  • Stephanie’s origin story is recounted in the Secret Origins 80-Page Giant.

• Tim briefly checks up on Stephanie in DCU Holiday Bash III.

• We are skipping Robin #63 and 66-67 due to a shortage of Steph.

This Month's Issues

I. The Ugly Truth (Oct. 15-22)

II. A Blessed Event (Oct. 23-31)

Discussion Question: How well do you think this storyline handles the issue of teen pregnancy? Is this a topic that superhero comics should try to tackle?

Poll Question:

Should Stephanie keep the baby (vs. putting it up for adoption)?
  • Absolutely!
  • I don’t think so.
  • It’s none of our business!

0 voters

Thanks for stopping by! And if you want more from the @RenegadeRobinsClub, be sure to check out Damian Wayne’s first adventure as one half of the Super Sons!

4 Likes

I remember being as shocked as Robin when she said she was pregnant. I was thinking, ut oh… naughty Robin.

I wonder how it would have affected their relationship if she kept the baby because Robin wanted that poor thing gone?

1 Like

This is 90s Tim, so he would’ve just gone back to his ex-girlfriend for a while until Chuck Dixon decided to use Spoiler again…

2 Likes

Really love the Secret Origins issue - illustrated by Amanda Connor! And with some amazing little details, like Steph loving Sooperman as a toddler!

I think the handling was pretty good, though of course it depends on where you’re coming from. It’s interesting that DC seemed to have a “do not talk about this storyline” policy during Steph’s Batgirl issue, apparently. (source - BQM’s deactivated tumblr, archived here: Batgirl Vol 3 24 | Stephanie Brown Wiki | Fandom And don’t think I didn’t want to revisit the baby she gave up for adoption (wasn’t allowed to go there).) Though Convergence: Batgirl did mention it!

3 Likes

Of course they did. DC had all sorts of awful policies at the time.

2 Likes

Stephanie Brown has her own entire wiki fandom?! Caller me impressed for the fan who made that

1 Like

Well, it was created in around 2009ish by my predecessor, who left around 2012, when the n52 disappointed them too much. I volunteered to run it in 2014, but this past year has been a bit too much for me to handle, so it’s a bit empty for now. Hopefully next year, with the Batgirls title, I’ll be excited enough to update it! (there was a big coding change that also destroyed my excitement for keeping it up to date, because it means I have to re-code every page by hand :frowning: )

3 Likes

And it has been an indispensable resource for me.

2 Likes

I think it does it well enough for a book where it’s dealing with a supporting character, and the lead of the book isn’t the father, but his current love interest. I think the scene of Steph’s dream of all of her superhero life happening around the baby does a decent job of establishing why she gives the baby up for adoption.

Honestly, I think it works well in this series because the bar for that is extremely low. Like, either a book skips over the pregnancy period (ala Catwoman One Year Later) or it just turns into a horrible catastrophe – Avengers #200, Ms Marvel, Marcus, need I say more?

I think the only big two superhero book I’ve seen handle pregnancy fairly well with the main star was the Dennis Hopeless run on Spider-Woman after Secret Wars.

As for whether superhero comics should handle issues like this, sure. I think superhero comics can handle just about any topic, it’s just a matter of care and execution.

2 Likes

Nicely said!

1 Like