Spirit World Initial Thoughts

I just finished issue 1 and so far it has alot of promise. The art is amazing. A perfect blend of manga and american comic art. Very interesting story. Basically like Coco but a little more mature. Add in Constantine and Batgirl and you have a winner. Anyone else reading this one? I added it to the pull list for sure.

7 Likes

Very into this book. Cass is one of my favorite characters, John Constantine is always a good time, and Xanthe is extremely likable. I see this being the hit of the We Are Legends line, like Far Sector breaking out of Young Animal and Naomi being the star of Wonder Comics.

6 Likes

Spirit World #1 is one of my favorite Dawn of DC debuts.

New characters, my favorite Batgirl and Constantine all wrapped-up in Haining’s wonderful art has me sold on the title, which I hope can last far beyond its initial six issues, either in an extended run of the current title or an ongoing volume that would come afterward.

3 Likes

I really liked the first issue. Although I’ll admit having Cass and Constantine helped me decide to actually check it out, Xanthe is a cool character. Hopefully further issues flesh them out more since it looks like they set up some questions about their backstory that hopefully become relevant later on. Is it true this is only planned for 6 issues?

Also, just really like the issue cover.

3 Likes

I was wondering how this comic would be, I’m glad to see the positive reactions. The initial story was one of my favorite bits of Lazarus Planet. I’ve become a big Cass fan since reading Batgirls, and I loved the art.

4 Likes

So far, but if Green Arrow could get an extension, I would hope this could, too.

1 Like

It’s kind of weird that DC is in a trend of planning limited series and then expanding them, even upgrading them to ongoing titles. Not a bad thing, I’m not complaining! I got more of “The Swamp Thing” and the Poison Ivy is now officially an ongoing. Just a neat trend I’ve noticed

3 Likes

I think maybe starting something as planned to be a limited series, with a clear arc that tells a good story but leaves room for continuation is a good way to go. I’ve read a lot of series that launch as ongoings but get cancelled early and end up not really wrapping things up at all, which is frustrating. At least if a mini doesn’t get continued, you can have one good complete arc.

4 Likes

I think Cass was written pretty well, but in general, I didn’t enjoy this as much as I had hoped. The art/action was not very coherent to read to me, and I didn’t connect with Xanthe at all. But I’m also not a Constantine fan, so it’s quite probably that this just isn’t the title for me.

1 Like