Something to Think About When Worrying About the Future of DC Universe

Marvel inhumans was regular television genius. Marvel plus will be totally different.

What is Marvel plus?

And by the way the point of my thread was not to argue if DCU will be absorbed my Warner or not. Yes people can post what they want but the point was we would be better not to obsess over that and enjoy what we have now. There are 40 other threads to proclaim that DCU won’t exist in a year.

2 Likes

@DanTheManOne1. I too posted something in response to another thread that I would like to be more visible (the thread got moved). It wasn’t about the future of the service, but its current state and why I like it. Hope it’s ok that I copy & paste here.

First of all…it is not my place or anyone else’s to ask anyone to stay or leave. At the end of the day, this is a form of entertainment and if it isn’t giving you $6-$8 a month worth of entertainment value, then leaving is the right choice for you. Value is in the eye of the beholder. The way I personally think of its value is as follows:

• The cost of a single back issue on Comixology is anywhere from $1 to $3 a piece. If I regularly read less than 2 to 8 back issues of comics a month, than the comics alone may not be of enough value to keep me on. Not the case for me. In the last 6 weeks I went through 50+ issues of 90s Superman. When they were rotating issues, I thought the comics value was questionable to me, since I could never time my reading right. With them opening up the library, my whole experience with DCU changed.
  • The shows. This is pretty simple. I signed up for new DC shows and I’m getting them. Have I enjoyed them so far? Yes. Is it disappointing to learn there’s no Swamp Thing season 2? Sure; the news came out of left field and was handled poorly by DCU/Warner/the powers that be. I’m not a huge Swamp Thing fan so I try to put myself in those fans’ shoes. What if it was Superman? What if the same thing happened to a Superman show? Man I would be so excited to be watching it…there’s no way I would cancel the service before I finished every single episode. Would I cancel after that? Probably not because of the aforementioned value in the comics alone, but I would be disappointed and probably express that in one form or another, respectfully of course.
  • The back catalog of movies and shows. The value here is the most questionable for me. If I want to watch Superman II and it’s rotated out, then well…I gotta look somewhere else. I understand other streaming services do the same thing, but their selection of movies and shows is much larger than DCU. I don’t think expecting “all of it” is unreasonable when it comes to this material, and yes I’m willing to pay a few bucks more to get it. The licensing issue has been explained well, so I’ll hold out hope that with time they can figure it out, maybe as this service grows, hopefully.
    Aaaand…what the hell is my point here with all this? I guess what I’m trying to say is that for this fan, I still really like DCU. It’s had its hiccups (Swamp Thing news) and it has its shortcomings (back catalog of movies and shows), but those haven’t stopped me from really enjoying what it has to offer. Those that don’t feel the same? I can’t dictate your feelings or perceived value of the service. It’s perfectly reasonable that you respectfully make your voice heard, and if you decide to leave, I hope you find a better way to get your DC fix…and when you do, please share it with the rest of us :slightly_smiling_face:
6 Likes

I say ignore the people who are trying to convince you that the app won’t be around in two years, because at the end of the day they’re really trying to convince themselves. We have no clue what the future is going to hold, but why waste time trying to ruin others enjoyment? Me, I’d rather watch the shows, read the comics and talk with some really good people about comics.

Any forum has that one user who will constantly try to ruin your good time and make multiple posts stomping around like an angry child, but for the most part this forum is a wonderful place where we can all discuss what we love about DC and comics in general. And @DantheManone1, that advice your friend gave you…it’s perfect!

9 Likes

Listen I was first to sign up for this and I’m getting almost movie quality shows almost every week. Huge backlog of comics is awesome now. However I also pay for HBO so I give WarnerMedia a lot of money. They will have to eventually merge because I’m not paying for a third. Damn excited to see the Dune TV series though. Dune/DCU/HBO one price one app period!

Not to be Debby downer, but corporations don’t care about current plans. I’m not saying that the service will end. I’d sacrifice my first born (it doesn’t exist, take this in the spirit intended) to keep the service going. That said, just because the service has plans for the next 2 years doesn’t mean those plans can’t change. They can. They do. Swamp thing was supposed to be 13 episodes. They changed it. It’s 10. There is a perfect example of of planned things changing.

All of this “doom-saying” is 150% baseless. It has been unequivocally stated here that DC Universe’s future is not currently in jeopardy and that Swamp Thing’s cancellation has zero effect on the future of the other DCU Original series that have been announced, and yet there are still people freaking out and acting like Chicken Littles, which detracts from actual meaningful conversation and discussion.

2 Likes

This is a thread that I’ve wanted to make for a while but I’ve been cautious due to the fact that I don’t know what exactly is going on. But I’m going to try my best to cover as much as I can.

We know the immediate future of the service - Swamp Thing for the rest of the month, Young Justice throughout July and August, Titans Season 2 and Harley Quinn in the fall, and Stargirl in early 2020. Personally, I feel like this is an excellent slate of quality content from DC Universe.

As for my feelings on the content we’ve already gotten from the service, I thought Titans was solid (I didn’t love it because it often times felt more like a Dick Grayson solo show rather than a Teen Titans show), I thought Young Justice was very underwhelming (They set up a lot of plot lines that could make Part 2 amazing, however), and I think that Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing are both absolutely amazing (Doom Patrol is better though, and I’m ok with no more Swamp Thing as long as they don’t end this season on a cliffhanger).

The whole point of this thread is to discuss with you all about the future of this service. I want this service to continue, as I feel like I have gotten my money’s worth paying for the year and I plan on renewing my subscription once my year is up. Some things I’d like you all to answer are:

• What announcements will be made during the SDCC panel?
  • The moderators confirmed that some unannounced shows are in development, so any guesses as to what they could be? I’m hoping for some more animation, as I feel like Titans, Doom Patrol, and Stargirl is a very good live action slate. Possibly a Teen Titans revival?
  • Do you think that the WarnerMedia service could cause DC Universe to shut down? I really don’t understand why they would consider shutting down this service, especially due to the fact that Warner Bros. gets all the subscription money from both services.

Thank you all for reading this extremely long block of text, and I’m excited to discuss this with you all in the comments below.

5 Likes

Who really knows what the future will hold? I see lots of people repeating the same speculations that originated on tabloid-esque websites regarding the DCU shutting down or being folded into the WB streaming service (well, which is it?). We don’t know the truth yet and there’s no legitimate source of information saying anything about it. Why should I believe what some yahoo says to get more internet traffic?

I do think whoever is in charge of the DCU likes to wait until specific opportunities occur before announcing anything. This is probably the reason why we haven’t heard anything about upcoming shows. If they allow that information to leak, there is no hype to attend those events at comic cons. You know, absolutely no information about the second half of Young Justice S3 is available anywhere on the internet except for on this site. No cast lists, no synopsis, we didn’t even know the airing schedule until it was posted in the Watchtower today. They like to keep those cards close to their chest in that way, so to preserve the excitement I guess.

So yes, I think certain things will be announced in their due time. I’m expecting Doom Patrol season 2 at least to be announced at SDCC. Possibly Young Justice S4. Only time will tell.

2 Likes

First, dannysisk this was a pretty good rundown of the status of original programming on DCU. It I would add a couple of points.
-Comics, selection has gone from nice (a couple of thousand in rotation) to amazing +22,000 with new weekly. For those enjoying comics, this selection more than pays for the app.
-Krypton, although not original to the app Krypton adds quality content and the potential that future DC productions on other networks will move to the app relatively quickly after airing. In the time of cord cutting this app will be many subscribers first or best opportunity to see these shows
-Community forum, I don’t have a feel for what % of subscribers read or post to the community, but on going efforts by DCU to improve it lead me to believe it’s significant.
-News, another unique feature that promotes DC products and engages the subscribers. A clear win.
This app is less than a year old, but making tremendous strides

4 Likes

My two suggestions for DCU (without knowing finances necessary to actually decide)
-Season 2 Doom Patrol
-Add another animated season either YJ 4 or a Justice League show

1 Like

I’d just really love to have it on my PS4. I hardly ever use the service now because it’s only on my tablet and phone, neither of which is preferable for watching anything.
I boughy the whole year before the service even began for that very reason. I feel like I’ve been ripped off for several months.

1 Like

Ok, so I saw the title of this thread and was initially turned off because there have been so many threads about this topic recently where people promote toxic behavior and totally illegitimate rumors. However after reading through the thread I’d just like to give credit to the person who created it, because this is exactly how the topic should be discussed—in an inquisitive, and factual way. Before I say anything else: thank you for making this thread in the way that you did.

Now concerning the future of DCU, I’m mostly in agreement with what you said in the body of the thread. DCU is making great content right now and with the upcoming SDCC panel, I expect to hear more about what will be coming after Stargirl. One thing that also seems indicative of DC Universe’s continuance are the huge developments they’re working on right now such as the Community 2.0 Update, and their plans to bring the app to more platforms and release it internationally. These are things that I don’t think they would be working on if they were planning on canceling the service.

It may also be important to take into account the rumors online about WarnerMedia assessing the service. The majority of these rumors are speculative, but it’s possible that WarnerMedia is trying to decide whether they want to wrap DCU up into their own streaming service, or whether they are considering bundling it (which is the option I would prefer, and I think is more likely given the unique comics, community, and news sections on DCU).

6 Likes

@iJest. I agree with you 1000% on Doom Patrol S2 at SDCC. I just don’t know what else they’ll announce.

2 Likes

@msgtv. I appreciate your additions to my list. I was focusing more on the service’s original programming more than the comics, but that’s a substantial point. While I admit to not reading many comics since subscribing, the point of the matter is that this service has more comics than Marvel Unlimited, and a large number of people probably subscribed for the comics alone. Great point.

2 Likes

@brockng. I feel you on the PS4 my man. I’m fine watching this on my iPad for now, but I’m anxious to finally watch these shows on my smart TV. I’ll be patient, though.

3 Likes

@YoYoFroYo. Thank you so much for the kind words regarding my thread. I tried my best to address everything with the facts that have been confirmed by various outlets. Unfortunately many people in today’s society have very kneejerk reactions to various different things. I knew that people would be pissed after Swamp Thing…I didn’t know it would be this bad.

2 Likes

@YoYoFroYo. With regards to the other parts of your comment, I think that realistically, only Doom Patrol S2 will be announced. I don’t think they will announce anything else. But the additional things added to the app like the updated Community tab would not be given to us if they were shut down. I think that WB should offer a bundle of WarnerMedia, DC Universe, and HBO, similar to how Disney is offering Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. That just makes so much sense to me.

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for your kind comments regarding my thread! I’m leaving on a cruise in about 30 minutes so I won’t be on the service for a little over a week, but please have fun discussing these various topics amongst yourselves. I’ll be back in a week. Thank you again for your kind comments from all of you!

3 Likes