Some of your favorites from DC 52

I stopped reading comics back in the mid 90’s. Then I was reintroduced to them back in 2003 with mainly reading Marvel titles. Then DC 52 happened. So I began to pickup all the titles until I had a monthly pull of 30+ comics. This continued until mid-2013. At $3-$4 a book it got too expensive and being difficult to drop any book and non-comic life getting in the way, I stopped reading comics altogether but never waned from loving them.

Looking back, what was some of your favorite things from DC 52?

For Me:

Aquaman

I literally found a new fondness for Authur. The writing and art made me enjoy the book. And I never thought it could be done with Aquaman. He was always at the bottom of my list as favorable DC characters. Thank you DC for reintroducing Aquaman to me.

Wonder Woman

I must confess I did not like the art. I’m bias. George Perez has always been my favorite WW artist. But I read the book because she has always been my favorite character. Anyway, a thank you for reinventing WW’s origin. Zeus being Diana’s father makes more sense then being created out of clay. Was this origin retained in Rebirth? Haven’t read any of these books.

3 Likes

@Bamfer
I love WW also and also I’m partial to Perez. The Greg Rucka series, although a little out there in some spots, has been a guilty pleasure for me. The art is pretty good. Unless that’s the series of which u were speaking in which case never mind. But, if not, last I checked they had a decent run of them on here. Can’t say full cuz I didn’t check. I picked up issue 1 at a local library months ago and came across it again on this app. I’ve been reading it off and on and here and there. The WW vs Medusa sections were my favorite so far. Just thought I’d let u know in case those aren’t the ones u were prefacing.

3 Likes

I just noticed the last part of your question. That answers the questions I was asking you, yes the storyline in rebirth remains the same uhhh sort of. That is, she’s aware of both of her lineage stories and seems content to accept both.

2 Likes

@djd

I’m thinking of maybe picking up WW. My fear is crossovers. I always end up buying books I don’t read because of crossovers. Books are too expensive now.

I’ll have to check some books out.

Thanks!!

3 Likes

Batman : The Court of Owls

Swamp Thing - never heard of him before, but i love the concept of a horror monster who protects the trees and I love the Rot being a zombie like enemy, just killing every thing in there path and making it become Rot.

2 Likes

@Bamfer
Anytime, I know there was a decent amount of Ruckas rebirth WW on here, been a minute since I’ve checked, but the art is really good, also Dr. Psycho, Silver Swan, Flash and Cheetah are just a few of the supporting cast. WW is the ambassador to Themyscira working out of an office, but she’s in action pretty much the whole time. She stops in basically to keep up appearances. She’s also dealing with the backlash of writing a tell all autobiography of her life which invites new dilemmas for her to face on the human side. Fear not tho, the cast of Themyscira as well as the Gods are in full force in this one. Finally, I completely empathize with u on the price of books. If I wouldn’t have found issue 1 of this one I wouldn’t have read any of it yet.

2 Likes

Aquaman

2 Likes

@djd

The WW artist I was referring to in a previous post was Cliff Chiang. I don’t like his art.

Another artist I do like is John Byrne. Loved his work on Uncanny X-Men and Justice League.

2 Likes

Okay this discussion"s bookmarked, hopefully it’ll survive the big change that’s happening Monday.

During the “after Titans Watch a long voice chat” on Discord last night, I was mentioning the Grant Morrison first 17 issues of Action Comics New 52, where they redefined Superman a little …it was a really great read and good artwork.

I did enjoy the first 20 issues of the Green Lantern New 52:, it had a really neat spectacular ending.

Stormwatch New 52 was engrossing, where they had Martian Manhunter mixed in with Apollo and Midnighter excetera really really good the first again about 20 issues, just before Jim Starlin took over.

The last one I’ll “vote” for here is Justice League United." I like the feel of it the artwork that goes in Canada the science fiction element the Adam Strange and his wife… Jeff Lemire is a writer I follow at Valiant, Dark Horse etc. Stargirl Supergirl Martian Manhunter Adam Strange etc Animal woman, all in one team in Canada.

2 Likes

I read the full new 52 runs of:

Wonder Woman - this one turned me into a comic book fan
Superman
Justice League
JLA
Batman/Superman
Superman/Wonder Woman
Aquaman - this was my favorite
Cyborg

3 Likes

My favorites were I, Vampire and All-Star Western. I, Vampire in particular was very underrated.

2 Likes

Manapul’s Flash run doesn’t get anywhere near the respect it deserves.

2 Likes

Nothing. It was a total disaster!

I really enjoyed Andy Diggle’s short but sweet run on Action Comics. Tony Daniel’s art was great too.

3 Likes

Batgirl had a good 52 run (especially compared to her rebirth run)
Ive heard good things about superboy but i havent read it yet.
I also heard good things about green arrow
Wonder Woman was good
Thats really bout it.

2 Likes

My favorites were:
Wonder Woman (LOVED the art)
Superman/Wonder Woman
Deathstroke
Midnighter
Black Canary
Starfire

Rebirth both kept and didn’t keep Wonder Woman’s New 52 origin. Aside from the Witching Hour issues, I don’t like Wonder Woman’s solo Rebirth title at all so far.

3 Likes

I loved Justice League Dark and Grayson. Constantine was good too, but if you’re a fan of the original Hellblazer run, I’d read it with an open mind. Animal Man was also incredible; to be fair, most of the event based around the elements of nature (The Green, The Red, The Grey, etc) was really really good. Crime Syndicate and Forever Evil were really good Justice League arcs too.

N52 had a lot of great stuff.

2 Likes

The Best;
Aquaman
Nightwing
Batgirl
Batwing (until they made him Luke Fox that sucked)
Red Hood and Outlaws
Green Arrow

The Worst;
Hawkman
Firestorm
Wonder Woman
Hawk & Dove
Justice League