So we are getting a Batwoman spinoff but not a Superman spinoff?

Goes without saying that a highlight of the recent Elseworlds crossover was the return of Tyler Hoechlin as Superman, who managed to enjoy a slightly bigger role than in previous appearances. And his world itself was further fleshed out by the introduction of Lois Lane as well. With so much world building going on it would seem like the man of steel was getting set for a much bigger presence on the scene right?

Despite that, the powers that be have decided to move on with a Batwoman show, given what little time we had to get a feel for her, over a character and actor we have been approving of for three years on now. Why is that I wonder?

Speak your mind down below. Do u think they r making a mistake? Do u wanna see more of Superman? Do u want him to have his own show, or are you ok with the new Batwoman show?

I’d prefer a Superman series over Batwoman. Hoechlin is a great Superman. I’ll still watch Batwoman though.

3 Likes

I have a feeling Berlanti doesn’t want a Superman show to overshadow Supergirl. Supergirl, for better or for worse, is probably his strongest podium for social justice, which is why so much effort has been put into adapting Superman storylines into the show.

2 Likes

Hoechlin is my favorite Superman, so naturally I would love to see more of him, but I think CW is making the right choice in giving the female heroines the airtime.

DC has a pretty bad track record in giving the heroines space in all medias, Comics/TV/Movies (Sorryyy DC but it’s true :/) , and if CW can dare to defy and get us closer to a 50-50 ratio I say let them.

I think Hoechlin should get more guest appearances in Supergirl though.

I think it’s a licensing thing. Syfy already has a Superman show. I don’t think CW can. But I could be wrong.

To be honest, Superman would be kind of redundant when we get Supergirl. We got someone with the same powers, we go Jimmy Olson, and a ton of villains and storylines (as well as other supporting characters) are in Supergirl. The shows would not IMHO be different enough to be worth having on at the same time.

A Superman series based in the Arrowverse would not deliver anything that isn’t already being done on Supergirl.

I feel the same way. The crossover just made me wish there was more Superman on tv. It was such a bigger part than his previous appearances and Tyler Hoechlin knocked it out the part. He has been a great Superman. Seriously, I can’t look at that guy wearing the S without smiling. And that is the way Superman should be.

But I do feel that a CW Superman show would be redundant. My irrational fanboy logic wants him to get sucked out of the Arrowverse into the DCU Universe (is that what’s it’s called?) during next seasons crossover crisis. So maybe he can do more on the streaming shows.

I also feel the same way. I would rather have a Superman tv show with Tyler Hoechlin. I have nothing against Batwoman or the actress portraying her. I enjoyed her appearance in Elseworlds especially as Kate Kane, but I feel she is better suited as a supporting character. I’m just not as invested in her character as compared to the rest of the BatFamily. Right how “Batwoman” is only in the pilot stage of production. They haven’t officially greenlighted the series yet.

In regards to Tyler’s Superman, they could focus on his life prior to Supergirl’s arrival and during her teenage/young adult years. Plus they can totally adapt Dan Jurgen’s Rebirth era since Clark and Lois are going to have a baby. Just going to have to wait and see what happens.

“Why is that I wonder?” careful your thinly veiled sexism is showing. Other than that, it’s always weird to me whenever someone is like “DO Superman for the 30th time!” instead of literally anyone else in the DCU. What about a Ted Kord Blue Beetle show, or Booster Gold? Let Superman take a break.

A Booster Gold series would rock, seems to me they have also missed an easy opportunity not having him appear in Legends of Tomorrow which especially when Rip Hunter was a character seemed a show made for him.

"In regards to Tyler’s Superman, they could focus on his life prior to Supergirl’s arrival and during her teenage/young adult years. "

Which would be no different than what we’re getting with Supergirl.

“Plus they can totally adapt Dan Jurgen’s Rebirth era since Clark and Lois are going to have a baby.”

They have to raise their child on Argo, not Earth, so there’s no real story there.

I really like the Arrowverse’s Clark, Lois, and Jimmy/James, but there just isn’t any story for them independent of Supergirl that wouldn’t be treading old ground.

1 Like

“Which would be no different than what we’re getting with Supergirl.”

I see it more in the context of the Arrowverse. Their interpretation of events that transpired before Supergirl put on her cape. For instance, they could adapt the graphic novel “Birthright”. There is enough content that can be explored that the tv show Smallville did not.

“They have to raise their child on Argo, not Earth, so there’s no real story there.”
They didn’t say raise their child on Argo. They said to have Lois have her pregnancy and birth on Argo. At least that’s how I understood it when they explained it to Kara.

“I really like the Arrowverse’s Clark, Lois, and Jimmy/James, but there just isn’t any story for them independent of Supergirl that wouldn’t be treading old ground.”
I guess it depends on the content they could choose depending on their budget. I think that’s a hard part in a tv show series. There is only so much they could do with a budget. To keep the Arrowverse’s Supergirl and Superman separate in the same timeline, then I would make Superman more intergalactic. However, you know there is no way CW can have that type of budget. Which is probably why they are trying “Batwoman” since it is cheaper.

Booster Gold would be an awesome addition to the Legends of Tomorrow! One of my favorite characters. I’m curious if they will use him someday. I’m beginning to think, the future timeline in the Arrowverse is limiting who or how to use the future characters we see in the comics. We have the grim future being shown on the flashforwards on Arrow. We saw what Zari went through on the Legends of Tomorrow, and what became of Star City. To top that off we have Nora West-Allen, who let things slip on what the future is like for her. There is a reason why Iris put a chip in Nora to hinder her speed. The future looks pretty bleak on Earth-1.

I’m still holding out hope for the Metropolis show they were talking about, with the caveat that they add Clark in the finale, and a proper Superman in season 2

I really didn’t like Batwoman in the animated movie or the comics, so I was blown away by how well she came across in live action! Not having to carve out a niche within the Bat- family actually worked in her favor, IMO.

I like Tyler Hoechlin’s portrayal of Superman a lot but I would MUCH rather see a Batwoman show than another Superman show, especially when he’s currently on the big screen (hopefully).

I think that they decided to go with Batwoman instead of Superman because there already have been countless iterations of Superman on screen. Batwoman, a brilliantly complex character, has never played a main role in film or television. (At least from my knowledge).

There is already a Superman type tv show they may not be able to do another while krypton is active

I’m starting to think that Berlanti picked Supergirl to be his character and show to go into Political, Feminist, LGBT and other agendas or stuff to push because Kara Zor-El Supergirl didn’t have as much of a fan base pre-show like other Female characters like Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Zatanna and Black Canary. As for Superman, I like the arrow verse take on him and would love a spinoff but I don’t think they are interested in making one and of course they wouldn’t want a good Superman show to overshadow SuperAgendaGirl.