So, the comics matter. But not the movies?

Oldrocker, I know it’s anecdotal, but MU absolutelycut into my Marvel purchases, as will DCU. For me it’s the marginal titles that I think are okay that I’ll wait on. Hard for me to believe I’m alone in this.

2 Likes

@msgtv
I think both Marvel and DC understand that it will dip book sales.

However shops may make up some by selling older Silver, Bronze, Dark Age comics, since more people will be able to read those stories and go…hmm…maybe I want some Perez NTT or Adams/O’Neil Batman or fill_in_the_blank in my collection.

It raises a question, did Marvel and/or DC lower the wholesale price to shops when the services launched or have gotten a bigger user community?

1 Like

I’ll be honest I really don’t see a problem with this system. I guess if you only read your books digitally it would be a issue but I prefer physical copies anyway.

To politely clear up a few inaccuracies:

A. The Digital HD/4K edition of Batman: Hush is not available for purchase yet and won’t be until July 20th.

B. The DC Original Movies are ONLY available on DCU when the physical media editions are released (which is the same day the digital versions are available to rent).

Applejack recently said that although the physical media release of Hush was bumped up to August 6th, DCU will evidently still have to wait for its original date of August 13th before that movie will play here.

Hopefully there’s room for that to change as the days tick by, but that’s the word on the matter as of late.

C. The DC Original Movie line is the only line of direct to video animated content available on DC Universe the day that same content physically releases elsewhere.

Outside/random animated movies such as Batman vs. TMNT, the Lego DC titles, DC Superhero Girls movies and so on do NOT fall under the same rule that titles from the DC Original Movie line do and for varying reasons, such as (among others):

1. Requests from partners that have an ownership in those brands such as Nickelodeon and Lego or a TV stake like Cartoon Network.

Those companies/networks/what have you may not want a particular movie on a streaming service they have absolutely no involvement in/with and therefore want the movie available in channels that they are involved in/derive profits from.

1. What Warner Brothers Home Entertainment (the owner of the content) wants to do with those movies on other platforms/promotional avenues.

WBHE may have something else in mind for a particular title from a promotional perspective and may see that as a substantially higher priority than placing the film on what is right now a niche service.

Hopefully that clears things up :slight_smile:

3 Likes