So Is DC Comics Really Ending?!

@MisfitCMJ I don’t consider WarnerMedia separate from AT&T anymore. There are too many ex AT&T folks involved. It’s not operating as a conglomerate. It’s just one big company now. It doesn’t really feel like they’re operating in entirely different industries anymore. Been into an AT&T store lately? It might as well be an HBO store.

2 Likes

HBO is what they wanted when they bought Warner.

3 Likes

@MisfitCMJ I get that, but it’s not operating separately. It’s all entangled. Then you have crossover properties (GL on HBO) inside the entanglement (GL is DC property). I’m just saying I doubt DC gets to fly under the radar is all.

1 Like

Superman
Action Comics (team book)
Batman
Wonder Woman
Detective Comics (as a team book)
Green Arrow
Titans
Young Justice
JLA
JSA
Legion
Green Lanterns (Corp team book)
Justice League Dark
Aquaman

I figure that kind of lineup would leave the fewest beloved characters on the chopping block. Everyone would have some spotlight. This list leaves room for 6 more titles.

6 Likes

Good choices

2 Likes

This would be my list:

Superman
Action Comics
Batman
Detective Comics
Batman Family Title
Wonder Woman
The Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps.
Titans
Teen Titans
Young Justice
JLA
JSA
Legion
Birds of Prey (to have more female representation in the line)
DC Comics Presents (Team-up book with one of the three trinity members rotating)

If I am counting correctly that is 18 titles. I would make the last 2 slots for ongoing 6 issue mini-series. These minis would rotate with minor characters and one would be started 3 months after the other, so that every 3 months a new mini would be starting. This would also leave room for the possibility of a larger event as well, as they could wait until a miniseries ended and launch the event series.

6 Likes

Don’t forget Nightwing. That’s been going for a long while.

4 Likes

@PrincessAmethyst

Great

Maybe the Batman family can rotate
Or two stories with different characters
Batwoman Nightwing Batgirl Red Hood the big four.

2 Likes

I’d honestly rather Red Hood keep his own solo title. The other Bats have had decades of their own solos already and to be honest Jason’s not been well treated outside of his own solo by most writers. He’s either used as comic relief, as the dumb muscle or he’s treated like crap.

Now if we’re talking about some sort of Bat Family anthology title that features stories or team ups where individual characters like Red Hood get an actual chance to shine. One that actually advances a character’s story and attempts to build on a character’s past established continuity because the writers involved take the time to actually research the characters involved that’s a different thing altogether.

2 Likes

I can’t see how Warner would just up and shut it down, Lease it, sell it, turn over operations to another publisher or other things like that maybe. But just shut it down when it isn’t actually losing money (all be it not making a fortune for them) over selling it when someone would clearly buy it. Just wouldn’t make sense unless I am missing something.

2 Likes

I dig this. I just don’t think we need two Batman solo titles if we have a bat family title. I also wouldn’t keep one of the trinity in the DC Presents title because it would reduce character exposure. Certain characters (Ambush Bug, Doom Patrol) would need there time to shine. I envision it taking place in this book.

1 Like

But would a single, giant sized book featuring 3-4 full length stories be the better choice for things like the Batman Family? 3 issues is $12-- 4 issues is $16-- would you pay $8 or even $10 for the same amount of story in one book?

1 Like

I feel that the 100-Page Giants format is the way to go.

3 Likes

Honestly I would pay 8 or ten dollars to get the same amount of story as one would in 4 seperate comics that would cost me 16 to get. I hate that I pay so much for so little with an individual comic so much so that I’m currently only buying one DC book regularly right now.

2 Likes

As I mentioned, the DC Comics Presents would be a team-up book. The trinity members would be who they team up with in my vision. So one issue could see Ambush bug team up with Wonder Woman and the next Superman is teaming up with a member of Doom Patrol. Allowing people to feel that they are getting an additional trinity title for those that will only buy the big characters and for those of us that want to see the obscure or lesser characters we would get that as well. Batman and Detective Comics serve 2 different purposes in my mind. I despise Batman, a lot. I have voiced this a lot on the forums, but I see two versions of Batman that need represented. The Gotham City detective and the larger than life JLA style Batman. I would see each title representing that aspect of the character to better serve fans. That is why I felt that way about my choices. Interesting to hear your thoughts though.

3 Likes

Thats a lot of money for hbo lol, hbo good but not that good

3 Likes

Either that or go to a flat rate streaming setup without the six month to a year restrictions. Publish enough paper copies to satisfy LCS actual pulls. Do a digest type printing like the 100 Page Giants we get now only with all the stories being all new material not reprints for the more casual reader as well as titles in trade format but put your focus on the digital market.

3 Likes

I don’t think we need a larger than life Batman anymore as it is, but…

The trinity are scene stealers. I always like Marvel Team-Up because it was random and though essentially a Spider-Man book, often completely replaced him. Hulk and Human Torch comes to mind.

Something like Red Tornado and Elongated Man. Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. Katana and Vixen. Lobo and Deathstroke.

That allows lesser characters to be in situations the trinity would easily handle. Or situations to weird or taboo for the big three.

I’m not saying never use them. Just don’t have them always be in the title.

2 Likes

Maybe. I do only buy his volumes. I always liked volumes better than buying individual comic books. It’s like reading a chapter of your favorite book and then waiting another month to read the next chapter. That’s probably why comics aren’t really doing as well as they used to.

4 Likes

If trades disappear I’ll be sadly disappointed. Comic shops are already almost all gone in my region. We now have more vinyl record shops.

2 Likes