So Is DC Comics Really Ending?!

@Tenzel I totally agree. I think we’re saying the same thing.

1 Like

I’m just using a lot more words because I’m bad at keeping it short and simple. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s a risky time. I’m not being alarmist. I don’t think the company will drop comics. I think we could see more team books and less titles. More focus on bankable stuff. Sucks. I really like The Terrifics right now. No way does it survive this.

1 Like

Yeah, I just dont recognize the characters in the MCU movies. I feel at least DC gets there characters right.

1 Like

I guess we see them differently. To me the Marvel characters seem closer to they way I see them from the comics than the DC characters do (even if they have changed some details)

Could be because I’m no longer as attached to the Marvel characters as I used to be so I’m more open to the MCU interpretations.

Playing Devil’s Advocate here

I think DC Comics has too many titles for fans to buy

Why not cut them down to a smaller list of titles?

In June 2016
the first.month of Rebirth
there were 10 titles published

Superman
Action Comics
Batman
Detective Comics
Aquaman
Flash
Green Lanterns
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Titans

Add 6 more for 4 titles a week such as

Harley Quinn
Justice League
Legion of Super Heroes
Shazam
Rotating Bat Family
Rotating B lists Heroes

And assign top writers and artists to each

Wouldn’t that be a good enough situation for most fans

3 Likes

Why would DC end? There are better chances that DC would be sold in a boardroom with the sites picking up the story after the fact. The intellectual property is worth more than comic sales. However, without comic books that IP has a shelf life. Look at it like a popular TV show. Friends at its peak was massive, then years later it remained huge on syndication. While it has found a new life in streaming it isn’t likely that you will see people wear shirts with the shows logo or find coffee houses packed to watch a streamed episode. That is only 20 years after the show ended. Another 20 and the show will looked at like Lucy episodes. My point being, is that there needs to be something fresh for the IP to remain valuable. Think of the toys, shirts, video games, cartoons, movies, mouse pads, pint glasses, and whatever else is out there. To look at AT&T and think they will chop the company to pieces makes sense at the initial cuts. With DiDio leaving and no statement will only leave room to speculation, I am guilty myself. However, to think DC is on the verge of locking the doors is pretty ridiculous.

3 Likes

EVS has made a second career out of stirring the pot. Don’t believe a word of it.

8 Likes

I think the characters will endure, in one form or another, whether comics as a medium lives or dies.

I also think DC Universe is probably the future for DC. Most entertainment services have gone to subscription models, and I think comics will be no different.

7 Likes

As long as they can print the digital stuff so I can own a physical copy, then I will be fine to have comics come through here

4 Likes

I really thought Shazam was solid as an adaptation.

2 Likes

Not saying that the movies are direct copies of the books, rather that the books are idea generators for the movies. Despite their flaws, I much prefer the DC movies, but the MCU has drawn major story ideas from their comics that have been produced in the past 10-@5 years

1 Like

A good, rotating cast team up title would be a blast if done well. This gives more minor characters a spotlight.

3 Likes

I can only speak for myself, but that lineup could use some diversity. DC has a diverse set of heroes. They should have solo titles for the readers who are looking for their stories. The Justice League in the 2020s need to be better than the Justice Society in the 1940s.

I have come to a point in my life where I realize my money feeds some troublesome status quo’s in society whether I want to or not so I am getting more careful with what I do with them. Comics are a bit of a pet peeve of mine as I love them, but they talk the talk, but are less eager to walk the walk. That’s why such a lineup would be a no from me.

I spend some $5000-$10000 yearly on comics related things… comics, merch, experiences, media, games etc. That’s on me if that money upholds these status quos, so I look for a balance in my spendings. The 2016 lineup lacks that balance so I would be out.

2 Likes

Anybody

What wiuld the 16 or 20 titles you would want to be published if there was a limit on titles imposed by AT&T?

3 Likes

DC is owned by AT&T.

Now really wrap your head around that for a second. AT&T is a Top 10 Fortune 500 company (#9 I think).

They can afford to keep things going despite the past failures, but why would they. Definitely not for the fans of an industry that doesn’t provide major revenue.

Plus I have been hearing about all the Lay-offs going on, and it spells bad new for DC comics IMO. I just don’t think a major conglomerate like AT&T would care about fixing a story line.

Bottom line is they will probably push 5G, it will most likely backfire, and then AT&T will be forced to re-evaluate why they should keep trying to fix a reoccurring issue.

It could be good, only if they scraped 5G. However the material is ready and to toss that out would not really be cost effective.

4 Likes

Check out the Geoff Johns run on JSA. He added Black Canary, Star Spangled Kid, Power Girl, Hawk Girl, Mister Terrific, and Jakeem Thunder to the team.

6 Likes

It’s doubtful the subject of DC Comics comes up at ATT board meetings at all.

3 Likes

I don’t know that I agree entirely. Batman alone makes $500 million in merchandise sales most years. That gets attention…even in a $20 billion company.

4 Likes

That comes up at the Warner Media level. Where there are two choices-- publish, or sell outright. Closing down the comics biz and trying to maintain trademarks without further copyrights will bring people and their descendants out of the woodwork wanting their creations back. And endless legal hassle that will cost far more than running a comic book company.

3 Likes