So, I’ve Read Every Wonder Woman Comic on DC Universe Infinite… I Think

Yes. I renewed my subscription with DC last June, so it took around 7 months. Once I started, I just couldn’t stop!

3 Likes

Bravo! What an awesome accomplishment and a superb write-up of your journey! I just read a book called “The Secret History of Wonder Woman” by Jill LePore that detailed the historical background of her creator and it definitely piqued my interest in the Golden Age version of the character. Your post makes me want to get started on reading more of the actual issues even more.

4 Likes

Have you read any of the Elseworlds Wonder Woman books? If so, I was curious about your take on the different versions?

2 Likes

Yes, I actually just read that book a couple of weeks ago. What a trip that book is! Having just read the Golden Age comics this book sure did answer a lot of questions I had about characters and situations. It is really interesting to see where Wonder Woman came from, and it certainly isn’t something you could guess from reading the modern stuff!

2 Likes

I was hoping someone would find something I missed! I just noticed “Justice Riders” and “Amazonia”. How I missed them I am not sure because I read “Whom Gods Destroy”. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

I did enjoy “Whom Gods Destroy”. The art was pure 90’s bodybuilding and Chris Claremont is an old favorite of mine. I didn’t even mind crazy Nazi shaven-headed Diane, even though it made absolutely no sense.

For Elseworlds-style, I have just read Injustice Years 1-5, and I have been blown away by it! I was annoyed at Diana’s extended convalesce, but I guess there is no way around magic. I suppose the whole series is diametrically opposed to most of the characters, but I love the idea of there being a limit to their ideals, and what would happen if they were pushed just too far, and the spiral into madness thereof

Next stop: Elsewords I haven’t read!

2 Likes

@slatour0694.79644 having read every issue of Doom Patrol I highly recommend it. Just be warned not every writer handles them with the strangeness they deserve and some runs just felt like another superhero team. That being said I still enjoyed all of it

3 Likes

Yay! I was hoping to not step on your toes as you have done some sensational reading over the past few months.

2 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ Just read Amazonia and Justice Riders. Loved Justice Riders- who wouldn’t like old west JLA? Amazonia was kind of a gut putch what they did with Steve Trevor was awful!. One Elseworlds that isn’t here but I have the graphic novel is Riddle of the Beast. Haven’t read it since college but I remember absolutely loving it.

2 Likes

It can be fairly surreal to go by what Wonder Woman issues are on DC Universe. With alot of the issues not collected in trades and requiring the collection of olde singles or reprints, they can be difficult to track down.

Over a hundred issues of Sensation comics with less than half on DC Universe. 13 of the 29 issues of Comic Cavalcade. And such a patchwork of Wonder Woman issues, only showing those which have popped up in trades over the years.

Looking at what DC Universe Infinite has to offer and its hardly infinite. Skipping over the tail end of the golden age with a nice meaty chunk of Marston and Hummel stories.

Lacks most of Kanighers near 20 year run with the character though that was probably for the best, seeing how they made an effort to cherry pick the best of his run and cast aside stories like ‘Wonder Woman teaches college girl that aspiring to achieve greatness is bad and she should just get married and become a house wife!’

Unsurprising to see O’Niels run on DCUI as it is considered a really strong run in terms of characterization. (Even if I wish it could have brought back Etta who was cast aside by Kanigher)

And that 12 parter ‘labors of Wonder Woman’ story is there~ That was a wonderful mix of talent and narrative storytelling right there.

Weird how it continues collecting issues after O’Neils and then the ‘12 labors of Wonder Woman’ then just keeps going only to abruptly stop a couple issues into Wonder Womans tv show inspired ‘Adventures on Earth-2’ period. Skipping right over the the return to earth-1, one of Steve Trevors many deaths, the whole ‘Wonder Woman is a NASA astronaut’ arc, and most of Gerry Conways run.

A shame too. As this leads to DCUI only collecting the last few issues of Gerry Conways brilliant run on the book. He was id argue one of the strongest writers on Wonder Woman during that bronze age period. Playing with the idea that with a nation as militarily leaning as the United States, Wonder Woman whose a champion of peace might be viewed as a villain for her efforts. He also worked to establish what would become the status quo for the remainder of pre crisis.

The three part ‘Adjudicator’ trilogy which is essentially a prototype Crisis on Infinite Earths is here which is nice to see.
Then another jump in issues and were tossed some issues into Mishkins wonderful run that serves as a finale to Wonder Womans pre crisis era.

On the positive side, its nice to see that all of post crisis and post post crisis seems to be intact.

3 Likes

The only good thing about all of the missing issues is that I have a lot of missing issues to look forward to reading.

It was jarring how things changed abruptly after the Golden Age issues ran out and I had to leap into the Silver Age. Etta was greatly missed.

Also, when Diana lost her memory there were some key missing issues so it felt like I lost my memory too.

The original Wonder Woman comic is still missing over 130 issues. They just added a few so there is hope that more will be added.

2 Likes

Yeah~ Tragically Kanigher didn’t care for Etta so during his decades long tenure on the book she was written out which essentially destroyed her role as Dianas best friend and partner in crime fighting.

Also, which period where Diana loses her memory? The one where Kanigher popped back up after the mod era to erase her memory of the mod era or that second time with Hippolyta beseeching the gods to give Diana and the outside world amnesia

Ah, looking at it, yeah, that second time is still missing a number of issues. It was probably that one.

3 Likes

Wow, you really went full steam ahead into Wonder Woman comics! What an inspiration, and a terrific summary of your journey… thanks for sharing it with us.

Partly inspired by your post — specifically your lamentation at missing issues — I started this thread to track Wonder Woman comics that have not yet been added to DC Universe Infinite. Please let me know what you think!

3 Likes

It’s been over two years since I first read through all the Wonder Woman comics. My new total for Wonder Woman comics is 1,252. The new issues come from Golden Age omnibuses that have a lot of material not on DCUI, as well as the various new releases. I also counted titles concerning Nubia, Yara Flor, and the Amazons.

I still haven’t read around 125 Golden and Silver Age issues from her main title and Sensation Comics. They are not available anywhere that I am aware of. I am really hoping that some more omnibuses will be put out. I have just about given up on hope that DCUI will ever have them based on the past two years, but there is still a tiny ember of hope burning quietly in the backgroud.

I just bought Wonder Woman ‘77 Meets the Bionic Woman but haven’t read it yet, and there are maybe four issues of her main title that I haven’t read yet.

That is all. See you in another two years when I make another update. :grin:

3 Likes

The actual spreadsheet of comics read. The numbers at the top of the first list are Wonder Woman (1941) actual issues read.

In Sensation Comics (1942) Wonder Woman appears through issue 106, so I am only missing less than 30 issues.

Note that I didn’t include annuals or specials separately from WW’s main title but just added them into the totals.

3 Likes

golly, nice work there. any thoughts so far after youve had time to process your journey?

3 Likes

What are your thoughts regarding her sidekicks/proteges like Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark? Also, funny image below

2 Likes

I think I don’t worry at all about what is canon since I have seen so much difference over 80 years of material that I can just enjoy each story arc for what it is. It actually makes the story more enjoyable. I just think of it as multiple versions of Diana.

4 Likes

I do the same with my favorite characters. It helps make sense of things like this-

Johns’s Stargirl is a perfectly capable driver.

Levitiz’s Stargirl is a road hazard.

3 Likes

I think it is so funny that people thought young Diana in the impossible tales was her own character and that is how Donna came into being.

I loved Cassie’s origin and arc within the Wonder Woman comics. I haven’t run into her in Young Justice or other titles, but I am very fond of her nonetheless.

4 Likes

I’ve never been that into Donna. Not that I think she is a bad character. But she rarely showed up in the WW I’ve read and the Titans books I’ve read didn’t have her in the lineup. Just never spent a lot of time with the character. But I do love Cassie, she has a great personality.

One Amazon that I think is undervalued is Artemis. She got off to a rocky start because I think the attitude of characters during the 90s made her seem like another “tough-as-Hell-and-violent” character. It didn’t help she immediately replaced Diana as WW for a short while. But her personality still fits in with the Bana-Mighdall culture and her character has gotten much better. I wish she partnered with Diana more often

4 Likes