So I’m watching Smallville for the first time

That show was funny for bringing up super hero world issues like “oh no my boyfriend turned out to be a henchman”

2 Likes

I watched Smallville the first time a few years ago and thought it got better over the years. Lois made it so much better and their love story builds and develops so well over the seasons. The characters all developed well into the comic versions.

You’ll have a blast watching it!

3 Likes

The deeper u get, characters will just start pouring in.

1 Like

The wife and I just started introducing my kids to it (they are 14 now). We started about a month ago and we are in season 2 right now. Obviously we don’t get to watch an episode a day, but we love the time we get to spend together watching that show. I love watching it and seeing the girl’s faces as the whole “will they, won’t they” thing between Clark and Lana plays out. Loving it as much this time around as the first, even though the CGI is very dated lol.

3 Likes

I just finished watching the 17th episode of season 5 titled “Void”. This was the episode where Lana was being injected with the drug that killed her temporarily so she could be with her parents. The part that moved me was when Lex was injected with the drug during the fight scene. He was briefly back with his mother. She sat at the piano playing that Schubert piece. Such a beautiful song. Then at the end of the episode, to come full circle, Lex was at his piano playing the same piece when Lana walked in. I really enjoy it when classical pieces are incorporated into shows.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed Aquaman and the Flash stories so far. I’m wondering which else of the JLA characters will show up.

1 Like

@Rond. Smallville definitely has its ups and downs and their is some great episodes coming up and the team ups are just awesome. I will say I really wish they would have broken their no flight no tights rule because you’ll see later on he is pretty much the flash with an S and other Superman powers. It’s a great show and it started the best DC television we have now. Without Smallville there wouldn’t be any Arrow without Arrow no Flash you see what I’m saying. It’s awesome enjoy the ride! Are you watching it through Hulu or DVD?

1 Like

@jsmsiggy; I’m watching it from DVD. And I do agree that The Arrowverse stands on the shoulders of Smallville. I’ve been getting hints of things to come and am looking forward to watching these things transpire. Really want to see how Clark will start loosening up on Lois. Glad that Chloe now knows Clark’s secret. That should give her character a little more range.

1 Like

Will it’s said Clark didn’t know Chloe would work in a sex cult. Lol ( real world) I think they should have brought in a suite later in the series because it does unfortunately become Metropolis other than Smallville really later in the series.

I’m taking that as rhetorical. If u wanted an actual answer I would do my best. I’d never risk spoilers w/o double & triple checking.

You are correct, it was rhetorical. Sorry I wasn’t a little clearer. I’m so bad about wanting to be surprised I don’t even read the episode description!

1 Like

You’re in my camp. I don’t watch trailers of anything I know I’m gonna see. I don’t read the descriptions on comics or shows either. I like going in 100% fresh.

1 Like

Amazing show!! I remember watching it live, and rewatched it several years back when I introduced it to my younger sister (who became a huge fan herself). It’s interesting to watch the show as one grows older. I originally watched it during my young adult years. When I rewatched it again some of my opinions changed in regards to the characters and ships. I still rank Smallville as one of the best comic book shows ever made (flaws and all). Some of the best interpretations of the iconic comic book characters.

I plan on rewatching it again especially with things are going due to the Cornavirus cancellations.

2 Likes

I would agree with you on this being one of the best comic book shows made. I realize though, that people have different tastes in shows. I’ve been watching Smallville straight through (one episode each weeknight, the weekend evenings are reserved for BBC programming!) and I’ve not reached a point that I’m tired of it. To date I’m near the end of Season 5 and still looking forward to the next episode. And there’s something to be said for being able to watch the programs straight through. Events are still fresh in your mind. Kind of like a trade paperback for videos!

1 Like

It’s really fun to watch it that way. My sister and I would only watch four episodes a week, and it is something we always looked forward to each week. We did make it super special on some nights when it is a premiere, finale, or extended episodes. I love how they set-up the seasons. Each season had a focus point for the characters, their journeys, and the mythology. So I was never bored as a viewer. It was something new to look forward to. I loved how the show went from fun, teen angst to growing up to death of a parent to darkness to going into the light and becoming an inspiration. You can’t have light without the dark.

I do recommend once you are done with the series to read the Season 11 comics. It also tied into the Arrowverse Crisis crossover.

1 Like

You know, I’ve seen the Smallville comics but hadn’t looked at them. I just thought that they would be a retelling of the show. Do the comics pick up where season 10 ended? If so, that would definitely be something I would read.

FB_IMG_1572672327583 the show really does improve as it goes on and ends up becoming more like what we see with the CW shows today. Smallville was so much earlier on. The earlier seasons the show seemed to not want to really delve into the superman aspect and wanted to be more of a high school rom com type thing. When Green arrow gets introduced and he goes to metropolis the show does improve but that’s not til like season 7 i think? Rosenbaum was the best actor in all the early seasons and helped make the show a better watch. I was a casual viewer when it was new and i went back and watched every episode last year. I think where (spoiler) john kent got powers (spoiler) was one of my favorite parts period because it kind of meshed all the older stuff and began it turning it into something more of a superhero show. The kryptonite kids etc i mean they did have little easter egg and small type villains leading up to the later seasons. Kristen k is a beautiful actress but the Lana story got really old and repetitive…Clark becomes more of a genuine hero i think around the last 4 seasons? Of course he saves the day each episode but the progression to where he went out looking to help was fairly slow . It’s hard to go back and watch older shows after we have so much now with like Endgame and the DCEU movies too. It’s grown into a multi billion dollar industry since the 2000s, prior to that it was mainly kids cartoon shows and cartoon movies and comics and the occasional super movie every few years, not 3 a year by each competing company

3 Likes

Great picture! Soooooo jealous…

I’m really looking forward to the final five seasons based off of what everyone has said. As of now Clark is still in Smallville but travels to Metropolis frequently. And for someone that just split with Lana he sure seems to be making a lot of trips up to her dorm.

I agree with your view on Lex. When I began the series I had already made up my mind that I probably wouldn’t like his character. But that changed quickly. I think he is my favorite character.

2 Likes

I first started watching it when I was around nine. As an adult, I keep trying to figure out just how far away Metropolis is from Smallville. Sometimes people can drive there quick, other times not so much…?

But I will say, I am much more sympathetic towards Lana now that I am an adult.

1 Like

I love Smallville but IMO the best of the show was Seasons 8-10. Ignoring Lana’s return arc of course which was HORRIBLE. Total Mary Sue character.

IMO the show lacked something till Lois came along. She was the “kick in the pants” Clark needed

2 Likes