"So Bad It's Good" - DC Edition

I love bad movies. At times, I enjoy them more than “good movies.” What’s your favorite piece of DC content (movies, tv shows, comics, etc.) that is so bad that it’s good. To be clear, this is not a thread where you can hate on people and/or put others down. It’s also okay to see something that someone brings up that you genuinely enjoy rather than ironically. This is all just personal opinions and is meant for fun.

With that said, I would definitely say my favorite is Batman and Robin. I know this is so cliché and talked about a lot. Surprisingly, it has nothing to do with the “bat nipples.” I just love the out of touch, cartoonish style combined with every ice pun known to man. It’s got some insane moments (specifically the gorillas) that crack me up every single time hahaha! What about you?

14 Likes

Thank u for clarifying this isn’t a hate or judgement thread. Since I know a lot of people love the Music Meister episode in The Brave & The Bold. I have mad love for NPH. I just happen to dislike that episode, & it’s the only episode of B&B I don’t like. Oops, I hit the home page button & hadn’t finished. Anyways, after multiple viewings of it, I will say it’s so bad it’s good.

7 Likes

Batman & Robin is definitely some great camp – and honestly, I think there are a couple of good attributes to it. I like how it shows Batman’s growth as a character from the past movies, how he focuses less on the tragedy that made him into what he’s become, but on the good moments that were there.

Also, I think when he was allowed to be more serious, Schwartzenegger did a pretty good job as Mister Freeze. I’ve thought in the past that if they ever did a movie adaptation of Batman: White Knight, he could probably do something very…awesome with that role. (Whew, almost slipped on an ice pun there.)

8 Likes

It’s certainly the most cringe-inducing.

7 Likes

Batman Ninja

6 Likes

That definitely came to my mind. I really appreciate the hard work and animation (and I can totally understand why people like it), but it’s just one of those things that I can’t help but laugh at the absurdity and insanity of the whole thing.

2 Likes

YES. Perfect example. It’s not a great movie by any stretch, but I think any fan of Batman or the Bat-Family needs to see it at least once to see what they do, especially the ending, which just gets more and more ridiculous. :rofl:

3 Likes

@capo-mage speaking of Music Meister that episode of the Flash with Music Meister, I didn’t like that one. But however, after seeing that one and having it referenced a few times, and how it played out did it better for me. I like the Flash series overall, and even like all the characters and their performance, Grant Gustin is the Flash for me, however, that one episode with music meister was a bit off- I’m not really a fan of musicals, even cheesy ones, but the more I hear it and see it the more I discover it has a certain campy element that just sticks and fits well with character as far as the lyricism.

4 Likes

I didn’t like music meister but I misread the post & posted it. I was too far in to back out, lol I liked the Flash one b/c Gustin can actually sing irl. I would have to believe that was really him. I didn’t think I liked musicals until I got a 501 must see movie book. I loved all the ones in that book.

5 Likes

I misread post. My bad. I didn’t like music meister. I’ll go with the one that I didn’t hate but everyone else did. The Green Lantern movie. Fully agree it wasn’t the GL movie I wanted & it’s hard to believe with how great GL is that you could miss the mark with it. I guess I just didn’t hate it as much as everyone else. Hoping for vindication regardless with the HBO series.

4 Likes

Batman Forever for me. For true enjoyment anyway. Although we do quote Schwarzenegger Mr. Freeze a lot in my house. :thinking:

7 Likes

My longstanding theory on the problem with that movie is that it’s basically two different movies smushed together into one. You have the space drama stuff with the Corps, Sinestro, and Parallax, and then you have the personal story on Earth between Hal, Carol, and Hector Hammond.

I think if the movie focused on one of those storylines, and saved the other for a future sequel, it would have worked a lot better as a movie.

6 Likes

Not just agreeing to agree, but I do fully agree with that.

1 Like

Oh my god, GL is probably one of my top “guilty pleasures,” (although I don’t particularly like that term).

3 Likes

Alright @OmniLad I’m not alone. :+1:

1 Like

It has legit one of my favorite “secret identity reveals” on screen. :laughing:

6 Likes

It’s really a shame that the VFX/story for the film don’t work the way they should because this film has some incredible casting in it!!! This scene is a great example.

4 Likes

Just thought of another one. The Birds of Prey TV Show! So many unintentionally funny aspects of that show (OMG THE BABY EPISODE HAHAHA)!

2 Likes

Man, I completely forgot about the gorillas. I don’t think I’ve seen it since I saw it in the theater. I might need to rewatch it.

As for my pick, does Batman '66 (the movie and/or the show) count? If they were shooting for camp and hit it on the nose, is it still “so bad it’s good”? Image related (it’s from Final Crisis, for those interested, where Morrison is showing his love for '66 Batman).

6 Likes

It definitely counts. I mean, Batman and Robin technically aimed for camp. I think “so bad it’s good,” is a pretty lose phrase for something you enjoy in ways that maybe weren’t intended.

4 Likes