SnyderCut DCFandome Thoughts

I could chapter-and-verse you with all the story beats in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel adapted from John Byrne’s run, Mark Waid’s Birthright, Geoff Johns’s Secret Origin, and J. Michael Straczynski’s Earth One, so I don’t buy the idea that only non-comic fans like these movies.

4 Likes

Man of Steel completely ruins Superman’s character as he doesn’t feel like he’s down to earth at all during the movie, which is an integral part of what makes him so damn interesting.

Batman is so completely different from the Batman I read and watched as a kid, with the whole killing thing

Flash felt like a MCU Spider Man clone being a fanboy adopted by a rich guy

and I agree a tv series that has the same budget would work so much better

1 Like

I agree, I would love for them to just make a bunch of tv shows instead of movies. That would be the best way to translate comics to the screen. You can tell deeper and longer stories.

My idea would be start with a Batman tv show, then after season 2 or three make a Superman, WW, flash and GL show, then make a justice league show. You could do an event as a 2 hour movie or a few episode mini series.

Then you could also do spinoff shows like a robin or night wing that’s just a few episodes or make it less episodes than the normal series. You could introduce a character on a series and then give them a miniseries or if they are important enough give them a series. They could go all out with it and make a lot of money if they did it right. The CW basically did this already but with a way smaller budget and they weren’t allowed to use certain characters like batman

From what I understand (correct me if i’m wrong) Man of Steel Superman is based off of The New 52 Superman I believe.

I think this Superman was meant to start off flawed and possibly develop into the down to earth superman.

I look at it more like how different comic writers have their take on characters. Some work, some don’t.

So then take what works, take Post-Crisis Superman and put him onto the screen. Make him the Man of Steel, while also being just humble and kind Clark Kent from Smallville.

Man of Steel was already filming a month before the launch of the New 52, so there really wasn’t much room for influence there. The movie is based on all of the major post-Crisis retellings of Superman’s origin story, sometimes lifting lines directly from them.

1 Like

Man of Steel I liked, but not so much Batman v Superman. I’ll definitely give the new Snyder 4 hour epic a chance. I thought the trailer looked fairly good.

1 Like

Agreed. The CW set up a good TV route. Marvel almost did a similar thing on Netflix but Kevin saw an end to that.

With Marvel, we’ll see how making both TV and movies heavily connect. I personally don’t think that’s a good idea because I think that is even more demanding the the CW shows (which are already pretty demanding). At least with the CW you don’t necessarily have to watch everything to enjoy the show you’re watching.

I liked Superman just fine; it was just a little drab. The BvS directors cut is actually much more watchable. JL was a mess. If ZS has time to tell his story, it can be passable. A better storyteller wouldn’t need 3-4 hours, but…

1 Like

Here are a few panels from the first issue of Secret Origin, just to show how directly the film adapted the source material:

Secret Origin your son

2 Likes

Ah! I see. I remember hearing that Wonder Woman was based on the New 52 so I assumed the same for Superman.

1 Like

I agree, people have asked him why he can’t cut stuff down. He said he can’t help it because he started out in commercials.

Thats not what I meant when saying they should be made for comic fans. I meant that the characters should be consistent, not that they necessarily have to tell the same stories, but have the characters the same or similar so it doesn’t alienate a group of watchers. Also just throwing in references to comics doesn’t make it good either, just look at Titans for example

Again, the DNA of Birthright appears throughout Man of Steel. Here’s a panel that is paraphrased in the film, including a reference to cells “drinking radiation.”

Right as the rocket makes it to Earth, Mark Waid smash-cuts to an adult Clark Kent, just as Zack Snyder and David Goyer do in the movie.

And I could go on and on. It’s not just panels. Clark is forced to debut as Superman thanks to an alien invasion, just like in Superman: Earth One. Krypton no longer has natural births, just like in Byrne’s TMOS miniseries. Superman kills General Zod, much like in the final arc of Byrne’s run, “The Supergirl Saga” (but it was faaaaaaaar more premeditated when the comic book Superman did it).

Oh, and as for characterization, mopey Superman is totally post-Crisis Superman. From the first issue of The Man of Steel, we have Clark’s extremely negative reaction to the attention he received from saving the space plane:

Byrne MoS demands

Clark’s pity party didn’t start in 2013.

6 Likes

It was definitely my favorite part of DC Fandome. I was devastated by the theatrical cut of Justice League. The disjointed tone, the needless quips, the lack of theme. It really feels like all the work that was put into Dawn of Justice is paying off here. And I am over the moon!

2 Likes

As someone who wasn’t really wanting a seeing the Snyder Cut, I can definitely say I’m interested in some stuff. Im still hesitant but I REALLY want this to be good. There is nothing i would want more than an amazing Justice League movie. Im just not a huge fan of Snyder’s work overall and am still kind of unsure of what this cut actually entails. Is it a whole new story or a similar one with new elements and the worst parts cut out. Idk. Either way im going in with hope and trust.

1 Like

It’s a four-hour cut of the same basic story. It’s twice as long as the theatrical cut.

Okay. Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification. Four hours is quite the epic and I admittedly worry about pacing when I hear that but I’m also interested to see how an extra two hours helps flesh out the characters and story. Overall, still in the cautiously optimistic stage. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It will be split into four parts, so that might help.

1 Like

I don’t like any of his DC movies. None of the characters act like themselves. None are true representations of their comic form, which is what us fans grew to love.
He does know how to cut a trailer to music though. I thought it looked fine for a trailer. However, I’m sure the actual film will still be Batman murdering people. He doesn’t care at all about the actual characters or fans of the characters.