Sneak Peek! CRUSH & LOBO (2021) #1 - Releasing 6.01.21

Variant Cover by Yoshi Yoshitani

This week, our friends over in publishing have given us 10 neon-coated #sneak-peek pages of the sour pop-rock adventures of CRUSH & LOBO (2021) #1, the latest series meant for any self-respecting punker who enjoys kicking space aliens into the next dimension in-between awkward encounters with lavender-scented humans.

If you’re a fan of LOVE & ROCKETS and HARLEY QUINN, then this comic is the cosmic jam for you - Click below for a #sneak-peek into the 1st issue of CRUSH & LOBO!

Writer: Mariko Tamaki
Artist: Amancay Nahuelpan
Color Artist: Tamra Bonvillain
Letterer: Ariana Maher

Synopsis: In case anyone was wondering, Crush is doing just fine, actually. Sure, she recently walked away from her classmates at the Roy Harper Titans Academy and effectively quit being a Teen Titan in a blaze of glory. And okay, her relationship with her too-good-to-be-true girlfriend Katie is kind of on the rocks, if you want to get all technical about it. Oh, and she recently found out Lobo’s in space jail, but that’s cool, because he’s the worst. OKAY, maybe Crush has some STUFF, but that doesn’t mean she’s gonna DO anything about it, like actually go to space and confront her dad and all her problems, because everything is FINE… Right?

Pre-order your copy today by dialing up your favorite FLCS, or visiting dccomics.com.

Are you excited to watch Crush deal with her STUFF? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! :point_down:

15 Likes

Goodness, this cover is all kinds of cute!! Those sneaks are the most adorable, I need them!

5 Likes

I’m excited for a new Lobo book, more than anything. I haven’t read too much of the Teen Titans material with Crush, but I like the character quite a bit from a general standpoint, so I’m eager to see how this mini will further my potential appreciation of her.

4 Likes

oooof, that cover just hit me in the feels.

4 Likes

This-is-so-Exciting-Pineapple-Express

I’ve read Crush in the Teen Titans and im excited to see Mariko Tamakis take on the character plus I mean Amancay Nahuelpans art, specifically the cover and last panels :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I am so stoked for this. I’m way behind on Teen Titans and Titans Academy but care not at all.

Thoughts:

A, Mariko Tamaki, always
B, “brithday” - I identify with Crush on a deep, spiritual level. (Also, is that a jackalope phone case? Bunny ears and a unicorn horn? Is that established in her prior appearances, or new to this book?)

C, Yes, that is a lot of pink. Works magnificently with the art. Amancay and Tamra are a perfect pairing! Can’t wait to see her colors on the Lobo sneak peek we got. (Her colors work much better than with Kris Anka’s art, IMHO, based on the teasers for Mariko Tamaki’s short for Marvel’s Voices: Pride #1)
D, Aaaand, now I have Lupe Fiasco stuck in my head

4 Likes

Katie… Doesn’t exist, does she?

1 Like

(Spoiler warning for those who have not read the full issue yet. )

Are you thinking she’s like a shape-shifter or something manipulating Crush? Or more like Crush made her up and is now making up the breakup story to cover for her own anxieties? Or you think the whole story is going to turn out to be a dream thing?

1 Like

I have not read the full issue, I was thinking Crush made her up, but seeing the description that their relationship is “on the rocks” makes me almost certain I was wrong about that.

1 Like

I like the idea (though it is so heartbreaking), but I think Katie’s real. Without giving too much away, I think Katie is being used as the impetus for why the book is called Crush & Lobo, and maybe not central to the story. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we later find out that Crush’s description/perception of the birthday party is a bit of an unreliable narrator situation…

2 Likes