Simple Question

events are being used to promote less popular characters, one way to see more non batman related characters, and introduce new characters. Lazarus Planet is promoting Helena Bertinelli and Omen who they forgot to promote in Dark Crisis. Lazarus Planet is introducing several new characters like city boy.

1 Like

But it doesn’t really work to promote smaller characters in events.

I am sure any exposure in events helps a little bit which was why it has been done for many decades already like coie promoted new characters like Kimiyo Hoshi, Yolanda Montez. Yolanda Montez is back from the dead and appeared in Dark Crisis and is in justice society. John Henry Irons and conner kent were introduced in the World Without A Superman event which is similar to Dark Crisis (world without a justice league). jaime reyes was introduced in the Infinite Crisis event.

2 Likes

Events do not help, they almost always just go to focusing on the trinity.

Yolanda Montez is back due to Stargirl, nothing to do with comic events.

2 Likes

Yolanda Montez who was introduced in coie, is back from the dead probably bec the tv show needed more diversity and went with yolanda montez and dr beth chapel, and this influenced the comics. Without the tv show, we probably would be seeing Tom Bronson and Dr Pieter Cross. The justice society being promoted in Dark Crisis probably will help the justice society title a little bit. In Lazarus Planet, many justice society members are being promoted. mary bromfield is in Lazarus Planet so hopefully that will help her own title. Mary Bromfield was not promoted much in Dark Crisis which had too many characters. Mary Bromfield was supposed to have a big role initially but she got replaced by supergirl at the last minute and Mary Bromfield ended up appearing in just 1 panel. Nubia is in lazarus planet so maybe that will help her get a new title. Doom Patrol goes from lazarus planet into their own title.

Yolanda was used as the effects needed for Hawkgirl are very difficult to manage. Tom would not fit the show, as a key part was all their powers came from gear.

2 Likes

I usually avoid the tv shows bec they are too different from the comics. In the tv shows, they usually simplify the origin of stargirl for the tv customers and get rid of starman ted knight from her origin. I do like the idea of using a sonic gadget for Black Canary in the green arrow tv show which was based on the mike grell versions where black canary had no powers. I also like the Geoff Johns idea of not tying the golden age to world war 2 for the tv shows which was first shown in Smallville justice society episodes. With the sorry state of american education, my guess is most students do not even know much about world war 2 nowadays so there is no longer any need to tie the golden age to world war 2 which causes too many characters to have very old ages unnecessarily and needing all sorts of convoluted explanations that I just ignore to conserve my few brain cells left, whereas the quite old silver age characters are as young as ever if you look at Barry Allen and Hal Jordan who are almost 100 years old in comic book publication years. My comics continuity motto and headcanon motto is: keep it as simple as possible without surrendering adequacy (paraphrased from scientist albert einstein).
Most of the lazarus planet issues seem to have an anthology format with about 4 stories per issue. We know some of these lead to solo titles so my guess is there are plans for solo titles for many of the anthology stores found in the lazarus planet issues.
Assault on krypton: jon kent, power girl, dreamer, mercy graves. We once were gods: Nubia, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Billy Batson. Legends reborn: city boy, raven, renee montoya, firestorm. Batman legends of gotham: outsiders has jason todd, black lightning and katana. Next evolution: red canary, flatline, deadeye, vigil. Dark fate: helena bertinelli, doom patrol, xanthe (a vampire hunter), a new still force hero circuit breaker probably similar to turtle. These anthology stories are marketed as an event probably bec hard to sell anthology titles.

Doomsday Clock, Flashpoint Beyond, Future State and now the whole thing with JSA that’s about to launch are other things I would consider Crises as well. I’ve honestly lost track of who anybody is at this point.

I feel that since Dan DiDio left that DC has had a void of editorial direction as well as which writers they bring in. I have enjoyed when Mark Russell does his unique stuff. I’ve also enjoyed the Action / Superman story lines and in fact one reason I got Ultra was because I’m very excited about what’s about to happen to the Superman family of comics.

I also agree with whoever @MatthewHecht is today; other stuff I just don’t read when it pops up on DC Universe Infinite. There’s mountains of recent Batman stuff that I’ve had zero interest in, while the past there’s a lot of Batman I’ve enjoyed.

2 Likes

I’m absolutely shocked to hear that there’s backlash/hatred/anger over Dark Crisis: Young Justice, because it seems to be the kind of story that’s made for fans of the original series and should be largely inoffensive to pretty much everyone else. I enjoyed it, because I like seeing that group of characters together. But I also liked Bendis on Superman, so…

I’m coming up on 3 decades of reading comic books (mostly DC), and there have been a lot of ebb and flow in terms of quality. While I’d like a little more variety in what DC offers right now (Green Arrow, please? Booster Gold?) I wouldn’t call this period particularly terrible.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Its honestly one of the most hated books that DC has put out in the last year or so. This is one thats for the books in terms of backlash

1 Like

I never read, but as soon as I heard of it I assumed there would be backlash. The comics and show are so different, so no matter what one or both will read it and be upset. In addition it is a tie in.

2 Likes

No, it had nothing to do with the show or anything like that. Readers saw the book as an attack on the well-loved Peter David run and just a lot of storytelling BS.

1 Like

I would encourage everyone to stay off youtube and just make up their own minds about things. I really liked Dark Crisis: Young Justice. I also feel like the state of the DCU has been the strongest it’s been as a whole since the end of the 52 comic series. There are a lot of good titles coming out right now. Some maybe for you, some not. Don’t buy into the whole “comics are being ruined nowadays” narrative. Most of that is cynicism put out by people with agendas outside of good comics.

5 Likes

YouTube is all about finding the right ones, like the video that was an animated adaptation of a few pages of The Last Ronin I found recently or most of the comedic ones.

4 Likes

You can make any claim to support your argument, “Forty percent of all people know that” (Simpsons)

2 Likes

Interesting. I don’t get it. I loved the PAD series from the late-1990s. The Dark Crisis tie-in really didn’t do anything to crap on the original’s legacy, IMO. It was at worst just an OK story featuring the characters.

Are people this salty about the Bendis YJ?

2 Likes

My main criticisms of Dark Crisis Young Justice was it was too divorced or too separate from the main Dark Crisis event, and it was missing Keli Quintela, Jinny Hex and Amethyst.

1 Like

Not really about the Bendis run, literally type in Dark Crisis: Young Justice and read the headlines for them

1 Like

100% agree. Not only with regards to comics, but for things outside of comics as well.

YouTube’s fun, but it shouldn’t be anyone’s ultimate decision maker. Make decisions for yourselves, folks.

5 Likes