Simple Question

Howdy everyone! After seeing some videos on YouTube and thinking about what was said, I have to ask the editors, writers and publishers at DC one question: Why do you hate us fans so much? “Dark Crisis” has been a bust, “Dark Crisis: Young Justice” was an abomination, “The Dawn of the DCU” is shaping up to be a letdown. Why do you hate us so? You bring in writers who have no business writing for these characters or hate the characters they’re writing (Meghan Fitzmartin), or have to retcon characters to fit their own personal narrative on modern life. The editors have dropped the ball by bringing in people who haven’t got the chops to handle the events they’re writing (Joshua Williamson). The value of DC as plummeted since 2011, and doesn’t appear to be on the rebound anytime soon. So, again I humbly ask: Why do the writers and editors at DC hate us fans? We ask for good stories with our favorite characters, and wind up getting disappointed every single time. Particularly when said writers clearly haven’t done their homework on the characters they’re writing. It’s a sad state of affairs. And I know you all have at least 3 major events lined up for 2023. Could we go at least a year without one? Give us a chance to find a groove with the characters we do like? You’ve “Crisised” us to death! Please, if there is any sanity left in this world, fix this and fix it now! I have been a loyal DC Comics reader since 1992, and I’m afraid if the current run of form continues, especially on characters like Superman and Green Lantern (Mariko Tamaki? Seriously???), then I am going to stop purchasing your comics, unless I’m picking up issues from before The New 52. Please stop the bleeding and fix your mess!

Sincerely a concerned fan,
Brian

5 Likes

For the appreciation of writers, this is very subjective. Comic book business has not been doing as well as the 1940s golden age for many decades. Until comics can find a new business model, it will have to continue to rely on both events and variant covers. Can give both old and new writers a chance, and avoid relying on just reviews which are very subjective.

1 Like

What’s wrong with Mariko Tamaki?

6 Likes

She’s the wrong writer for a character like Hal Jordan. That goes to my point of matching characters with writers who shouldn’t be writing them (think Tom King and Batman, or Brian Michael Bendis and Superman). I have nothing against her as a writer, but I don’t think she has what it takes to write Hal Jordan as Green Lantern.

1 Like

Why not? Have you seen her write Green Lantern before? Maybe she’ll be good. I’d keep an open mind.

7 Likes

I understand that, but when you have at least a dozen crises in less than 10 years, that’s too much. They should also employ writers who WANT to write those characters and have a knowledge of the backstories for that particular series. I read “Dark Crisis: Young Justice”, and after seeing a video on YouTube pointing out what exactly is wrong with it, I agree with the poster that the writer (Meghan Fitzmartin) is basically blaming the readers for her own ignorance and hatred of Peter David’s run on Young Justice 20 years ago. Editors also need to be held accountable for their choices in writers on the books. If you put people on a title who know nothing about those set of characters, then that leads to massive problems. Just my two cents.

2 Likes

I’m just saying it seems like an odd choice when there are writers out there who have done Green Lantern and could bring it back to prominence. Just my two cents.

2 Likes

The problem is, we’ve seen those writers already do Green Lantern before by definition. I’d love to see someone approach it from a new angle.

7 Likes

I do agree while I know from a business sense why they keep happening, but I do wish comic companies would slow down with the huge events. They never give it time to get into a new status quo.

Don’t know I agree with the rest and personally I liked Dark Crisis: Young Justice.

4 Likes

It pissed a lot of people off and likely sold terribly.

2 Likes

All I said was that I enjoyed it.

4 Likes

Your usage of pronouns is off.

Then do not read them. I have not read any of those and have no interest in ever reading them, and I have been finding plenty of great material from DC recently from both new and old comics.

You are bound to make misses when making these key decisions.

You keep typing “us” when you mean “me.” Also claiming to represent the fandom is not humble. Making bad events in a year is not proof of trying to make bad events, especially when this year has had several acclaimed comics like Flashpoint Beyond, The New Golden Age, World’s Finest, and Jurassic League.

I see you did not read Jurassic League.

I honestly really enjoy seeing the same writer/artist approaching their previous characters from a new angle. I just enjoy seeing how they do it differently and their evolution as creators.

5 Likes

Starting from 2013, I suppose you’d have four: Convergence, Metal, Death Metal, and Dark Crisis. Where are the other 8 coming from?

6 Likes

For this I agree, except the part about “death.” I just do not read event series (or at least wait until they are long over). It is a huge time saver, as I just read the normal stuff.

3 Likes

There is quite a bit of huge exaggeration in the post, and I presume that is just another one. Maybe the OP was counting stuff like Rebirth, Future’s End, and Forever Evil as big events.

4 Likes

You’re forgetting - in no particular order:
Flashpoint
The New 52
Year of the Villain
Dark Nights: Metal
Dark Nights: Death Metal
Heroes in Crisis
Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths

There’s probably one or two I’ve forgotten about, but those are the ones I can recall from memory.

3 Likes

Let’s see…

Flashpoint
The New 52
Forever Evil
Rebirth
Year of the Villain
Heroes in Crisis

This is going back to 2011. There’s probably one or two I’ve forgotten, but these are the ones I can recall from memory.

3 Likes

Those were in 2011.

Most of these were small events.

2 Likes

:point_up_2: I can not agree more.

As someone that has read every DC comic of 2021, I think that there were equal amounts good and bad comics. Sure, I may not have liked Superman: Son of Kal-El, but I’m not going to disregard absolute gems, such as Batman/Superman, Superman: Red and Blue, Superman’78, or Action Comics.

3 Likes

That’s honestly subjective.
Keith Griffin wrote JSI, a very funny book, but the writer is usually known in the 80s as someone who wrote moody and experimental books. The two men you mentioned, Bendis and King, wrote actually great stories for the two opposite characters

Tom King did a great superman story called Superman: Up In The Sky

And Bendis honestly wrote one of his best work at DC with Batman Universe

Summary

I would never assume either would write a great story with these characters but it was surprising how much it worked out in the end.

My point is that you should give Tamki a chance. Never underestimate people skills or typecast them in a certain way. We should encourage creators to diverse their work with characters who might be opposite in the writer’s gender, race or even sexual orientation. It’s always a great surprise when it turns out well.

5 Likes