Showcase and The Brave and the Bold Comics

I’ve really been into reading Silver Age comics lately and am currently reading every Justice League of America comic in order (I’m currently on issue 20). I was hoping to incorporate some first appearances into my reading but I discovered that a lot of Showcase and Brave and the Bold issues are missing. Am I alone in my disappointment?

2 Likes

I miss the introduction of

Atom
Metal Men
Metamorpho
The Earth 2 Team Ups

Among others from Showcase and Brave and Bold

1 Like

We need a lot of Gold and Silver to be added to our comic color scheme here. In the case of Superman, we’re also missing a lot of Bronze. At the very least, they need to step it up and get every issue that has been digitized as part of a collection or omnibus on here. If I can read it by buying a Celebration of 75 Years eBook at full hardcover price on ComiXology, then maybe I should be able to read it here. grumble grumble shakes cane at WarnerMedia

1 Like

I was reading an issue of Challengers of the Unknown that was written in the days of constant citations in the 70s. Tried to look up a couple of the referenced issues and wound up with a big old goose egg.

As you’ve said, virtually everything modern is here, but there’s only a little of the older stuff.

1 Like

What’s missing probably hasn’t been digitized yet. To be fair it takes a while to clean up older comics digitally. We just have to be patient. The fact we have as many comics as we have now plus new comics being added every week means they’re going through their list of what to digitize.

I’m sure those titles will be here soon, as id love to read that stuff as well.

It’s true things are being added every week, but I don’t think we will be seeing anything close to a completed library anytime soon. I’ve been looking at various DC titles recently for a project, and there’s a ton that almost nobody even knows exists because they were forgotten in the sands of times. Even focusing on the big names, we only see a few old issues digitized a week. There are probably more than a a thousand issues missing just for Bats and Supes.

It’s true things are being added every week, but I don’t think we will be seeing anything close to a completed library anytime soon. I’ve been looking at various DC titles recently for a project, and there’s a ton that almost nobody even knows exists because they were forgotten in the sands of times. Even focusing on the big names, we only see a few old issues digitized a week. There are probably more than a a thousand issues missing just for Bats and Supes.

I completely understand that they couldn’t possibly have every comic ever published by DC on this app (it would be amazing though, lol). It’s just strange that they don’t have a lot of important first appearances. Showcase #34 (1st silver age Atom), Showcase #37 (1st Metal Men), and The Brave and the Bold #57 (1st Metamorpho) are all missing even though these are still important characters in current continuity. I’ve checked Comixolgy and the lack of digital version seems to be the case as ComiXology is also missing the same issues.