Should/Will DC Universe Merge with Cinemax or HBO Max?

I think the Snyder Cut had more to do with HBO Max wanting content and the fact that nothing is in production now, so there’s money to be spent, but I see what you’re saying in that things can change in the future. Will it happen? Will it won’t happen? We don’t know. It’ll definitely be exciting to find out, though! :slight_smile:

For now I’m enjoying DC Universe as it’s been for the past two years.

There is a major difference between these two cases. It was seemingly always anonymous “insiders” who claimed that the Snyder Cut would never be released. It wasn’t an official public statement.

2 Likes

Hi, Im writing this because ive seen the recent controversy surrounding DcU/HboMax/CW especially the Stargirl controversy.
In my opinion i believe HBO MAX should be renamed and absorb DcU as an addon subscription.
HBOMax would get the Tv Shows/ Movies and DcU would get the comics.
It makes sense why DcU is trying to move shows over to CW and Hbo most people HAVE HBO as a TV ADDON and the CW is a FREE app. Plus they might not get enough views on DcU.
(I just want to clarify if you have Hbo through certain tv providers you get hbo max for free)

I apologize if my spelling/Grammar sucks i dont do essays.

6 Likes

The problem is
HBO Max costs twoce as much
Is not available on Robu

Also
DC Universe
Would lose all of the subscribers
Whose main intetest is Not Comics
Perhaps
That lost of membership
Would cause
DC Universe to be shut down

That would be a great loss
To DC Comics
Because the comic book.library
Gives those not familar
With current comics
The background information
Needed to start
Reading Comics as a hobby
Without spending a lot of money
To gain the necessary
Background information

Unlike comics in the past
Wiich didn’t require any prerequisites
The comic books of today
Are not understandable to new readers
As well as being much too expensive

Without new readers
DC Comics
Will eventually have to cease publishing

7 Likes

Welcome to the community! :partying_face:

I was someone that did not subscribe to dcu for the comics. It was only to see their exclusive shows and animation.

5 Likes

You should do both

1 Like

I could see that happening

Stargirl could have gone to HBO Max but instead it went to the CW which is a free service paid by excessive advertisements. I really think it’s not a money thing, or it would have moved to HBO Max along with everything they have, to make HBO Max the new one-stop shop. Adverts generate revenue, which must work out for them better than subscriptions. They obviously also want to keep the CW channel alive and for all we know maybe this move was the only thing keeping Stargirl going. I think they’re trying to provide the content that we want, but maybe not in a way that we want. I certainly have no plans to pay HBO Max’s subscription price any time soon.

4 Likes

@iJest My thoughts exactly! Well said.

1 Like

In the olden times, we used to call that ‘television.’

9 Likes

Not certain of the solutions or the money. But maybe it is time for “one ring to rule them all”: WB streaming and media services, include it all?: comics, movies, originals, series, … with the DC based series/movies add a feature that identifies which comic inspired which scenes or TV episodes. For example Man of Steel first flight scene took inspiration from Superman Birthright (I hope I remembered correctly). Maybe even include a link to the comic Might help get a few more people to read the comics.

HBO Max as a pure video streaming service was available on all platforms on the day of launch and will soon be international

DC Universe with the Comic Reader is still not available on PS4 after many months of trying.

Adding comics to HBO Max would increase the complexity of the app and provide little additional revenue.

HBO Max will never have a comic book reader

4 Likes

The speculation has been rampant for quite a while that DCU is going away. The recent announcement about Stargirl certainly isn’t going to calm that speculation down. I have tried to give DCU the benefit of the doubt that they were going to continue as is, but that doubt part is getting pretty thin for me. I think 2 things are true from the public information we have: 1) DCU has some budgetary problems, and 2) AT&T is having trouble with a cohesive strategy for all their properties.

In regards to 1, I say that because of a couple things. Swamp Thing was abruptly shortened, then canceled with rumors floating about budget. Doom Patrol got shared with HBOMax, which one could reasonably speculate was to share costs. Stargirl got shared with the CW, which would again lead to reasonable speculation that it was to offset/share costs. Now, Stargirl is being moved exclusively to the CW, which would suggest that nobody has allocated DCU (or HBOMax) a budget for season 2. Harley Quinn is also going to be added to HBOMax. That leaves Titans and Young Justice as the lone remaining DCU originals that don’t have alternate plans. My guess is that HBOMax is not willing to provide the budget for those shows and that is why there has been no announcement that they are going to be shown there. Titans, in its current form, certainly isn’t going to be picked up by the CW, so I fear it is not long for this world. To summarize my opinion, DCU is having its budget stripped for original television shows and it seems self-evident that ultimately they will all be gone.

In regards to 2, it did seem odd that they launched a streaming service for DC only when there were all those other WB properties as well as HBO. I guess that DCU was too new to kill when they first started planning a more extensive streaming service, because it seems like it would have made sense to fold DCU television content into HBOMax when it launched. The fact that they had all that confusing HBO Go/Now stuff suggests there was no cohesive strategy for some time. Now, though, it seems they are consolidating the branding and putting their eggs into one basket. Again, my feeling is that HBOMax cherry picked which DCU shows they were willing to fund and added them in. The rest probably were notified that their budgets were being pulled either immediately or after the period for which they have announced renewals. In the case of Stargirl, they worked out a deal to move that over to the CW. Who knows, they may be in talks with Netflix or Hulu or some other service about Titans and Young Justice, and are just waiting on that before they make an announcement about DCU either going to a comics-only model or getting canceled altogether.

I hope that DCU carries on in some fashion. A possible compromise could be that they would get to also show the DC-based HBOMax originals and the CW shows after their seasons had completed. That way DCU wouldn’t have to fund expensive television budgets but still additional value beyond the comics. It could also possibly help with the books if they paid some sort of internal licensing fee for that content (just moving money around, I know).

2 Likes

Well if they just sold shows to netflix they would be fine. A bunch of people sub to it already, Marvel left which gives them a exclusive platform and reaches more audience to rally for a show. I mean heck look at Lucifer. Just seems like they were going to do rewards to sub-ing then they go away or are inconsistent. If they keep the rewards decent then it offsets the added sub cost. Otherwise as much as i like the other shows too doesn’t make much sense for me to keep another sub going for watching two shows.

See no reason they couldn’t add DCU to max! They can find ways to make it work

Here’s my guess as to what happens next. DCU will chug along until the end of the year. The deal with HBO Max was through the end of the year, so they’re going to want as many DCU subscribers to move over. I expect they’re working on the apps for Roku and FireTV that will be out before then. I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear the other DCU shows moving over to HBO Max as well. After Stargirl and Doom Patrol finish their seasons, Young Justice will begin airing. I’m not sure how far along Titans was before production stopped. They might release what they have or wait until they can start up again (not that I care because that show is BAD). Then comes some light rebranding as the service becomes an exclusive comic haven. I imagine the name will stay the same and the forums will remain. The video content though is going. Not just the originals, but all of the shows. I’m pretty sure streamers have to pay royalties to people involved with each show, so basically nothing will get reupped here. The popular ones like the DCAU shows will go to HBOMax. I also expect the deal with Netflix for Flash, Supergirl, etc. to expire fairly soon. More for HBOMax. The switch to basically comics only for DCU will come with new deals to get people on HBOMax.

With no official word from AT&T and Time Warner which is normal for a company to be silent. It is understandsble and reasonable to rhink DCU will slowly migrate into a comoc only service. They are already bundling dcu and hbo max. Original Shows leaving. HBO Max advertising 5 new orginal DC shows while DCU only getting one new show and it isnt even advertising they arent even advertising Titans Season 3. For ne personally im just gonna stick to buying physical media like i always have. And ripping them for my own digital use

1 Like

Nope, Max still isn’t available on Roku or Fire TV

2 Likes

I do worry about DCU going away. I love this service and am already missing DC Daily very much. I definitely subscribed for the video content-the new originals and the classic TV and animation. The comics are nice to have on the service and I do occasionally read some on the big screen but I mostly like to read comics that I hold in my hands so if this were just a digital comic service, I would be disappointed.

I hope this service can still stick around for a long time but it is getting worrisome.

2 Likes