SHOULD we get another Superman movie, how would you solve this specific problem?

Hey everyone! I’ve been thinking a lot about what would happen if we got another Superman movie with Henry Cavill. Personally, i’m all for it. I liked his Superman and I feel like if he and WB can come to an agreement, he can get a script he’s really happy with and we can see more of what he can do as the man of steel.

There is just one story hurdle I’ve been wondering since the end of Dawn of Justice and partially through Justice League…

How would they explain Clark Kent coming back to the Daily Planet? In both the theatrical and extended cut, we see people coming to the Kent home to pay their last respects to Clark who is in the casket. It would be a little weird if he just showed up to work considering the last time they saw him he was long since passed.

Would you come up with a way to explain how he’s back or would you just not mention it and move on?

3 Likes

They could just ignore it completely; I would be fine with that. Or they could say Clark’s death had to be faked because he was working on a case with the government or stumbled upon something he shouldn’t have seen.

4 Likes

@Jaik1299 Yea, the faking the death thing is the only way I could reconcile it. Had they introduced Martian Manhunter or another shapeshifter previously, that would’ve been a perfect out for them.

I think the biggest mistake of BVS was showing him in the coffin. I would’ve kept the shot of the newspaper, but instead of having it show Clark died, I would’ve had it as him missing.

3 Likes

If I’m remembering correctly, in the New 52, Clark left the Daily Planet and became a blogger with Cat Grant for a while. Going the blogger route and using a pen name in his articles is an option for the movies. He wouldn’t work for the Daily Planet, but we could still see the Daily Planet through Lois. And I’d love to see Cat Grant!

4 Likes

If Snyder and Cavill are 100% out and not coming back, then reboot. Go back to basics.

My ideal Superman reboot would feature Brainiac, a villain we’ve yet to see in the live action films. I think it would be important to audiences - both general audiences and hardcore fans - to see a new face like that.

Center the film around bringing Lois and Clark together romantically. Slowly, subtly. They should function independently throughout the film, but by the end its clear that their destiny is with each other.

Distance Clark from Smallvile. Maybe have him call Ma and Pa Kent, but really he should be well into his new life in Metropolis, already working at the Planet but still being the new guy.

An aspect of the previous films and TV series I would carry over is his struggle with balancing his powers with his real life. Obviously. It shouldn’t feel like Spider-Man, though, and I’d argue that it should be treated only about as prominently as it was in Snyder’s films. He’s got the weight of saving the day and the weight of a kind of messed up world pushing against him.

4 Likes

@JLWWSM That would be an excellent way of doing it!

@Longlivethebat That’s assuming Cavill is 100% out which I’m still inclined to say he’s not. I think we’ll see him again as Superman. It might be later rather than sooner but I believe he’ll be back.

2 Likes

Get a different behind the scenes cast batman vs superman was awful so was justice league it could had been great but wasn’t

1 Like

Get a different behind the scenes cast batman vs superman was awful so was justice league it could had been great but wasn’t

I’d have him part his hair on the other side and tell them his name is Clernt Kark. Just start over.

2 Likes

Clark could use the event as a way to go undercover for a story, with Bruce Wayne’s help, he can come back with a story explaining why he hadn’t come back to prove he’s still alive, or the easier route. Pretend he was in a hospital as a John Doe with temporary memory loss. Once he “remembered” who he was, he came back to work & explain.

Technically they don’t have to explain it. You see him in his Clark Kent work clothes at the end of Justice League, so it’s already obvious he’s back at the Daily Planet & working.

1 Like

Suggestions like what if he pretends he faked his death or that he lost his memory don’t really address the central problem that people at his funeral clearly saw Clark dead and buried.

It’s a tough scenario to try to work around, but there’s always ways to do it. This is a world where meta humans are known to be real and technology beyond what we have the real world exists, so I don’t think the explanation necessary needs to be a rational realistic one to be acceptable.

Imagine, for instance, that they explain that The Flash was working with Star Labs on time travel and during their experimentation, The Flash just happened to return to the time of the Doomsday fight, where he ran into Clark Kent and then brought him back to the future unharmed, before he was killed by the destruction from the fight. They can explain that the experiment was too dangerous, so The Flash can’t simply save anybody that way.

A little convoluted, maybe, but at least it adequately addressing the problems of seeing Clark buried.

5 Likes

It must have been explained at some point already, as Kal was back to being Clark at the end of Justice League.

The simplest answers are to do what the comics have done:

-use a robot impersonator
-say Clark was buried under rubble as he was covering the Doomsday battle (that’s how they explained his disappearance during the Death and Return of Superman)
-have Mxy create a duplicate Clark just like in Rebirth

Ta-da =)

1 Like

@Vroom, those suggestions may be from the comics, but they don’t address the problem of how people already saw Clark buried at his funeral. If he they act like he was buried under rubble, then why was he dead in a casket in Smallville?

It makes me wish people only presumed Clark was dead rather than actually showing him in the casket. I remember seeing it in the theatre and being conflicted about it, then when I saw the Extended edition and you see Perry and Jenny visiting the Kent home, all I could think is “So…is he gonna just be Superman full time when he comes back?” because it’d be a stretch to have Clark come back without an explanation. Unless both Perry and Jenny also know Superman is Clark but they keep it to themselves, that’s still a hard one to reconcile.

Flashpoint. Burn everything down and rewrite it from scratch.

2 Likes

I could see bringing Henry Cavill back to finish up the Justice League movie(s), might have to refresh everyone on the plot. Then it could be used as a springboard for something else, like introducing the Titans, or whoever else is really popular. It could even be a time travel weaving in Krypton etc. Then if need be we can reboot eventually.

1 Like

I think Henry Cavill & Ben Affleck could co-star if the Justice League sequel(s) suceeded, as older versions (like Wolverine and Professor Xavier). Maybe the could be Batman AND Superman as a sequel to Batman v. Superman. They could be allies, maybe with more human interest versus the prior movie, where they were metaphors battling each other. The story could revolve around, for instance, helping someone like Robin (Nightwing or Jason Todd) become a better person, or helping Batgirl/Oracle) etc.

2 Likes

I guess if Bruce Wayne were “dead”, the question would be who inherits all his $$$ if we had a Batman movie. Or, we could have another JL movie without Superman, but with other members of the DCEU.

Sorry. Superman, I guess if Clark Kent were dead, Perry, I don’t know. Maybe Clark owes it to him to tell him he’s alive. I don’t remember how they explained Clark’s death to Perry and others in the first place. Does he say he has a twin (like The Prestige)?

1 Like

Longlivethebat they don’t need a full reboot. They already have solid casting for Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Just recast and do a soft reboot. Flashpoint might have been a good angle, but it seems kind of soon for it. I could have seen it as a second Flash Movie. I know it would never happen, but if they could somehow do a reboot off the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover happening next year… that would be fun!