Should The Titans Be DC's Premier Team?

Following the events of “Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths”, DC is putting rhe Justice League on hiatus and now letting the Titans be their premier team. Obviously DC is going to bring back the League at some point in the near future. But for now, it’s time for new faces with new perspectives be leaders in the superhero community.

I’ll admit I’m not a longtime reader of this group. The Rebirth Teen Titans book was pretty good and Titans Academy was okay. I grew up watching and loving the first animated show and I love the idea of this specific team getting this push and focus, especially considering the bull that DC has forced the team and their members to go through over the years.

But my question is should they be the premier team? As I compare the Leagur and Titans, I see the pros and cons for both of them. So I want to hear from everybody else.

6 Likes

Titans can be dc’s premier team if it has Bruce Wayne.

3 Likes

I would argue that Bruce Wayne feeds into some of the cons/flaws of the League

3 Likes

Like MLB, NFL, NHL, or NBA you can have more than one premier team in the league. I’m sure DC Comics understands this when it comes to their “league”. The Justice League of America will return after these “new Titans” have had time to settle in and garner a following,
The Titans are a family team, and the JLA is more of a paramilitary group. There is (and always has been) room for both in DC’s publication history.
But to tell the truth, I’m waiting on the return of The Legion of Super-Heroes. The last iteration was somewhat lacking. My first team book was Adventure Comics #346 (Featuring Superboy and The Legion of Super-Heroes). And there’s no question that in the 31st century–they are the premier team.

7 Likes

It might actually be a good idea to have both as premier, like you touched on. Have the JL be more focused on threats to the planet from outside forces and the Titans be more focused on terrestrial/domestic threats

6 Likes

Yes…But not the way Tom Taylor is starting off the team. In truth I’m not feeling the strong energy that says this is meant to be a pivotal titans run. If this was pitched as a regular Titans series we wouldn’t be discussing this, but since the idea of this series being they are meant to replace the league(temporarily or not). It seems apparent they lack a strong identity in Taylor’s Nightwing book and the first issue of Titans to show they are different from it now.

Titans Academy had the right idea for the Team. They were bigger than ever before and were not just a team but a organization to teach young new people to become heroes. I know this series literally just started off but so far I’m not really seeing how this team is meant to be special from other Titan books to show why they are meant to replace the justice league.

4 Likes

No.

7 Likes

I’ve yet to read the first issue of Taylor’s Titans book, but I’m a fan of his work on Nightwing and enjoyed their appearances in that book. But like I said, I’m not a longtime reader of Titans so I can’t speak to how it compares to older runs of that group

4 Likes

For more power, can add Supergirl, Kyle Rayner, red star, Terra, jericho, Argent, tempest, golden eagle, lilith clay, magenta, miss martian, natasha irons, thunder, lightning.

3 Likes

The Justice League replaced the Justice Society. I guess I’m okay with the Titans replacing the League.

Happens all the time nomsayin? :wink::joy:

5 Likes

Something doesn’t quite fit here…

2 Likes

Was it my lame attempt at using slang, or was it that the comedian is part of both teams?

3 Likes

Primarioy you using pics of the teams from Watchmen when you were referwncing the JSA and JLA - but while we are on the subject of using slang…c’mon, what are you doing?

3 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl: My bad G

3 Likes

Oh, and remember… Edward Blake is 16 in the top picture, and in in his forties in the bottom one. :laughing:

3 Likes

The Titans can be just as great a comic as the JLA, but “in universe” people want the JLA.

If you’re the Mayor of New York City and the Legion of Doom is trying to knock over the Empire State Building, you’re calling the JLA on the Troubalert and hoping somebody at the Hall of Justice/ Satellite/ Watchtower is watching.

If DC wanted to move this group to up to the front for the first time, you keep these seven add Supergirl and Kyle Rayner who are about their age and don’t seem to be doing much these days. Now you’ve got all five major slots filled, so slap JLA on the cover and have them take on the big threats and see how the “family” element helps and hurts.

I just fear we’re getting the Titans are good, but they can’t handle the big stuff, so here comes the Real JLA to save the day. Then the Titans will go back to their usual stuff. Which is fine. I don’t think the groups watching the cartoon and buying all the teen graphic novels want to see the Titans as the JLA anyway.

5 Likes

Right before the New 52 reboot, Titans did replace the justice league and the roster had Supergirl, Dick Grayson Batman, Donna Troy, Jesse Quick and Jade.

3 Likes

Yet they were called “The Justice League.” They also had many members not associated with The Titans at all like Congorilla.

4 Likes

For a short while, their justice league had Lar Gand, Cyborg and Starfire.

3 Likes

I don’t think they even had time for a cup of coffee.

4 Likes