Should the DC Animated Original Movies Take a Break from Batman?

Like most people on this planet, I love Batman. That said… I’ve had Bat-fatigue for the past few years. You’d be hard-pressed to find an animated movie WITHOUT Batman in it, since there’s only 9 that don’t feature the Dark Knight (out of 33 at the moment).

Do you feel Batman has been hogging the animated spotlight lately? And whether you agree or disagree, what non-Batman stories are you hoping one day get adapted into animated films? For me personally, I’d LOVE to see Geoff Johns’ Green Lantern run get a few animated films! Or the Flash’s storyline that first introduced Godspeed!

What do you think?

7 Likes

I completely agree!! I’d personally love to see more superman and flash movies. Or branch out further, do a martian manhunter or mr. Terrific movie. DC has more heroes than batman!

3 Likes

They should take a break from Batman. He was even put into movies where he didn’t make sense being in them, like Justice League Dark. It’s just too much. If they have to keep doing Batman, then I’d like for them to focus more on Nightwing and Batgirl as his partners instead of Damian. If we could have stories without him, then I would like an animated movie on The Witching Hour even with Wonder Woman and the Justice League Dark or a Batgirl solo movie about where she has been this entire time. She showed up in a cameo at the end of Bad Blood, but has yet to be seen again in any movie.

2 Likes

I feel the same way. For example, Justice League Dark really didn’t need to have Batman in it.

I would like to see another Justice League Dark movie without The Bat as well as animated movies for Green Arrow, Superman, The Flash, Jonah Hex and other characters.

2 Likes

To an extent, yes.

But…Batman sells and sells well. The success of his entertainment brings in extra cheddar that can then fund other projects that previously weren’t on the drawing board but now can be, thanks to that sweet, sweet financial Bat-cheddar.

3 Likes

Batman and Superman are both overdone. I love Supes, but would like to see other characters finally…

3 Likes

Justice league dark was great and really showed me how awesome Zatanna is Constantine is always a bonus as well I also Loved Gotham by gaslight i think they do really well in their darker toned movies. I don’t think they should take a break from Batman or Superman but Maybe not give them the spot light as much less is more.

1 Like

I like what Throne of Atlantis did, where he was in there for a little bit, but it was mostly Aquaman and the other justice leaguers, I think they should produce more non-batman animated movies, however i think they should invest in producing some more on top of the batman ones as well when they can, i don’t want to see them stop making the batman ones, but i do want to see a Green lantern movie, or another aquaman one.

2 Likes

YES! They need to take a break from Batman and Robin. Like I really want a Nightwing animated film but, I do not want Batman or Robin in it whatsoever cuz not only am I tired of seeing them but, they would probably end up turning it into a Batman movie instead.

2 Likes

I like what they’re doing with the next movie with the refocus on a more DCAU take on the league. I expect there to be a fair and shared spotlight between the characters.

1 Like

Yes. But it’s a tough call for WB because we all know, whether we accept it or not, is that the reality is people actually spend money on things with Batman and Superman in it, more so on Batman, and not nearly as much apparently on anything that stars the rest of the DC stable of heroes. I remember being really disappointed that we didn’t get a second animated Wonder Woman movie, after loving that one so much, apparently because sales of that DVD didn’t hit the target WB set to greenlight one, from what I’d read online at the time. It’s the same argument why there were no Rey figures when The Force Awakens debuted and there was such an uproar in the media. Sorry to be such a downer.

1 Like

I believe DC is finally making another animated Wonder Woman film so there is that. And not to get too far off track but I know toy collectors and looked into it after I read the no Rey figures thing… there were Rey figures, no one could find them because they sold out so quickly, there were Finn toys everywhere because no one was buying them, not because Star Wars actually didn’t want to have a figure of the movies star.

1 Like

I think a Mr. Mxyzptlk movie would be good for everyone, very educational for both hardcore DC fans and newcomers alike, as well.

3 Likes

Yes. As much as I love Batman, DC is sitting on a ton of potential franchises and I feel as if it’s time for them to release movies for some of their lesser-known properties. It’s working out great on Marvel’s end so far (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, even an upcoming Eternals movie) and we’ve already got movies for Wonder Woman, Aquaman, even the Suicide Squad. Plus, Shazam is looking great. I’d say, it’s time for DC to branch out.

2 Likes

Oops. I only skimmed the title and realized for was for the animated movies. I think my point still stands regardless. After Hush releases, I think it’s time for DC to give Batman a break and branch out to their lesser-known properties.

2 Likes

As long as they are the top grossers, they’ll keep making them.

The Batman needs a vacation. More importantly, we need a vacation from The Batman. So how about a few new animated features with the following DC characters:
1.Booster Gold
2. The Metal Men
3, The Challengers of the Unknown (a 50’s period piece)
4. Orion
5. Supergirl
6. Green Arrow
7. Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
8. Hawkman
9. The JSA (set during WWII)
and last but never least: Lois Lane

1 Like

Love Batman as much as the next person but, yeah, WB seriously needs to diversify their output. I’m shocked that we never got a Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night movie. They seem like stories that would pull in viewers outside of just the diehard Green Lantern fans.

I’m hoping that the success of Aquaman and (hopefully) Shazam WB will see that they can make money off of their other characters. We’re finally getting a new Wonder Woman animated movie and that didn’t seem like it was ever going to happen until the live action movie succeeded.

2 Likes

I would love that. Maybe not this year, with it being his 80th anniversary and all… but in 2020, it’s time to branch out. The DC Universe is SO much bigger than Batman. The success right here of shows like Young Justice and Doom Patrol proves exactly that.

1 Like

Absolutely. I was just thinking how much I would love to see some Flash movies! My dream would be something from Mark Waid’s Wally West run. Maybe the Return of Barry Allen…?

2 Likes