Should Super-man Be Powered Down?

Should Super-man be rebooted as having heat vision. Flight and powered down to 10x stronger than someone in perfect power lifting strength not 100,000x

Let’s say the world record bench press is 500 pounds (it’s something like that, also remember that person takes steroids aka venom lol) so super man would be able to bench 5,000 pounds.

This would make him very impressive but also give him more humanity, it would make even bane a challenge in the same way a 13 year old would be a challenge for a very in shape 30 year old. It’s still easy but it’s not so easy as to be fighting bane like fighting a 1 year old.

Imagine how much more of a threat lex luthor would be.

Imagine how much more critical the flash speed would be in the JL because Super-man would be about 50% slower than him.

What do you guys think?

1 Like

No. The levels of each of Superman’s powers can vary (and have) but the individual powers he has shouldn’t vary.

If a writer doesn’t like his arctic breath (for example), then they don’t have to use it in their story. Simple.

8 Likes

Benching 500lbs for one rep doesn’t require ped use. As for powering down Superman I day it depends. As long as he isn’t over powered in the comics ( ex moving planets) I day leave him be. As for movies and tv shows I don’t mind it. I really like the fact the SM doesn’t just easily beat everybody in SM The Animated Series and JL/JLU. I think the problem is more SM easily beats this person but not that person even thou check t this person has easily beaten that person or at least it seems like that happens.

1 Like

I agree with Vroom.

2 Likes

First off theres no hyphen its just Superman :blush:. Secondly no. He was de-powered back in '86 and rightfully so (pre-crisis Superman was ridiculously powerful). I think he’s been at good power levels ever since. No matter how powerful Superman is, Lex is always a serious threat. He’s the smartest and most cunning person in the world. Being able to use his intelligence to match Superman’s brawn is one of the reasons their “never ending battle,” is so compelling. The Flash (both Barry & Wally) are already much faster than Big Blue. Though Supes flying speed is considerably faster than his running speed. Even so The Flashes are the fastest men alive. Supermans a distant third. As for his humanity. Superman has more humanity then just about anyone on the planet. Seeing that he’s technically not human is what makes his “humanity,” so enduring.

6 Likes

Lex Luthor is a more formidable villain because he can’t punch Superman in most cases (and certainly without Kryptonite or battle armor, and in some cases both). His only outlet is to try and outclass Superman mentally, rather than than physically.

Relying on his intelligence makes Lex interesting. Villains that punch and punch are a dime a dozen. Not the case with highly intelligent villains whose greatest weapon is their intellect.

6 Likes

In power levels, Silver Age SUPERman was basically God, while Byrne’s Man of Steel was a superMan. Somewhere in the middle lies the optimum level for his powers, but that’s all contingent upon writers and editors. So please DC just tell good stories about the greatest super-hero of all-time!

2 Likes

:point_up_2:t2: This

1 Like

I like Superman best when he is essentially a god, “world of cardboard” and all that. It forces writers to do interesting things and the tension between Superman’s power and humanity is the most interesting part about his character. If a writer just wants to write about a strong flying guy, there are plenty of other characters that they can use.

3 Likes

I hope your skates are sharp when you step on that slippery slope. Depower Superman and you gotta do something about Icon, Apollo, Supergirl, Lobo, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter the list goes for awhile before you have to do something about the bad guys that all those people could hold their own individually like Mongol, Darkseid, Ultraman.

1 Like

I think it should be flexible depending on the story and storyteller. I can reconcile the Animated Series Superman with the All Star Superman.

No, Superman shouldn’t be depowered.

3 Likes

I think it’d be interesting if superman caught some kind of space flu. So, he’s just sick, with a common cold. He’s still superman, but his powers are reduced overall.
They could have him sick for a few months, or a year, and pay with ther idea of being depowered.

@prodigalson.kendall.50258 you make a great point. Unfortunately writers that good are few and far between.

1 Like

Is this a nerf Supes thread?!

They did that to him in the “Truth” arc during New 52. While a good story, it was my least favorite arc out of that series. The only joy I got out of it was when he came back at full strength at the end. Felt like I wasn’t reading Superman. So my vote would be no. I don’t need his powers lessened to relate to the character. He’s relatable plenty based on his background alone, being a Smallville kid. The juxtaposition of having that kind of power and not using it for self service, but rather for the greater good, is what makes him a symbol of hope. Just my 10 cents.

3 Likes

Yes, drop super breath, eye lasers and omniscience

Hell no! He would see to be Superman. Spiderman can bench 5000 pounds that ain’t nothing by Superhero standards.

1 Like

Nooooooo uh uh…it makes the readers eyebrows raise when they introduce someone that makes Kent fall…we need our American alien to stay the same…

Superman is what the standard of a superhero is and alway will be. He was already powered down after Crisis on Infinite Earths. He is as strong as he must be to remain as the reigning champion of all superheroes. But 5,000 pounds? Bane can lift more than that.

1 Like