Should DC Make a Flash ’90 and Shazam! ’74

It occured to me running accross Batman '66 that in addition to that they have done Batman '89, Superman '78, and Wonder Woman '77.

So am I the only one who would like to see DC finish their nostalgia TV series and do a Flash '90 (continuing obviously the 90’s Flas TV series) and a Shazam! '74 (contionuing the live action Shazam series of the 70’s)?

Granted both of them are shorter lived and less popular live action franchises. But I they would have potential.

Flash '90 would be the most obvious one. That show has a cult following and has been regularly streamed in recent years (although I don’t think is availiable anywhere at this moment) and has managed to become something of a cult TV hit. And there were plenty of villains that they could take a look at what it would have been like had they existed in that universe. Not to mention except for The Trickster all of the villains they used only appeared once be it ones adapted from the comics and ones made for the show. Not to mention stories of Tina and Barry’s relationship evolving to where it was when we saw that version of the Flash last in the Crisis on Infinite Earths Arrowverse crossover.

So while 99.99% if they ever did it then it would be a mini series like Superman '77 and Batman '89, I think at least as far as creatively they could mine that for years before the well ran dry.

Shazam! '74 would be less likely and more challenging to make work admittedley. Aside from it being less popular then the other nostalgic live action shows and movies by a lot, it was made for specifically a childrens audience. It also had the format of Billy and Mentor being given a vague hint of what was to come, then encounting a kid in trouble and helping him no supervillains or even fantasy or sci-fi elements to the stories short of Shazam!'s existence. So the stories don’t write themselves quite as much.

But at the same time I think the right writer could make it work. Aside from the option of having Billy and Mentor encounting teens in more adult trouble or higher stakes dangers that a saturday morning show in the 70’s couldn’t have done, they also could give us a look at that world’s Captain Marvel encountering a version of Black Adam or the like. Would not feel as much like the show in that regard but think it could be interesting with the right writer to give it that 70’s TV feel.

Also could just add him to a Wonder Woman '77 team up. Since both came out around the same time. Even if they couldn’t make him work in his own series the Wonder Woman and Shazam! team up would make more sense then Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77… given Shazam! came out close to the same time and even briefly were on the air at the same time, and both have the obvious mythological connections, although I guess it plays out a bit less in the Wonder Woman TV series. But still… think it would be a mini-series that makes as much sense as Batman and The Man From Uncle.

6 Likes

I’d say that’s a awesome idea, hope they do it, now would be a perfect time to do it, due to both movies coming out soon. :grinning:

5 Likes

If they are going to make either of them now is the time to do so. Unfortunately that does not mean they will be good. The difference in quality between Superman 78 and Batman 89 is enormous. That is why they should not make them just to make them.

7 Likes

Hell to the yes!!!

5 Likes

Yes, and they should do Legends of the Super Heroes.

4 Likes

It could be fun.

5 Likes

I’d love to see a comic continuing the 90’s Flash show. We could see Carter Hall who was mentioned in an episode. I’d love to see what this universe’s take on Gorilla Grodd was. He was mentioned in the episode with Nightshade. I kind of figured he’d be like a massive Kingpin-like gangster more than an intelligent gorilla. I know they were planning to have the Rogues they introduced (Captain Cold, Mirror Master, The Trickster) to team up.

So many possibilities.

6 Likes

I would totally read a The Flash '90 comic book!

4 Likes

I don’t know if I would go that far. lol. Not sure the specials gave them enough to work with plus they were objectively well… not good. Would be fun if a writer today actually could redeem them but doubt the interest would be there. Although if they could tell a good story with them go for it.

If they were goin to tackle another live action DC property of the past I would love them to do a Swamp Thing '90 based on the old USA Network TV show. Although I can’t imagine they would, as I think a lot don’t even know this show existed much less watched it, and while it is out there on DVD and I know at least Tubi streamed it at one time, doubt it has gained many new fans since it was cancelled like the other DC TV shows and movies they have done. But that show I think has plenty of opportunity to do stuff they couldn’t do on a 90’s tv budget.

5 Likes

I did.

4 Likes

The Flash '90? “Bring it on!”

Shazam '74? Sure, why not? It’d be fun.

4 Likes

I remember the old USA 90s Swamp Thing show. Unfortunately, I think you are right. I doubt a lot of youngsters even realize it exists.

5 Likes

That and USA Up All Night are the two things that forever cemented the USA channel into my mind for all time.

SN: The third would be their Wings re-runs in the mid to late '90s. I watched a ton of those during summer vacations when I was in my teens.

5 Likes

For me throw in Night Flight and Kung Fu Theatre and that is the USA Network for me. It was a lot more fun in the old days!

5 Likes

Swamp Thing, USA Up All Night, USA Cartoon Express… in hindsight I really did grow up with USA Network, don’t think I realized the influence it had on my youth.

5 Likes

I would like this idea. The Batman and Superman ones were done well.

6 Likes

Also, since I have named everything else, I will throw out there why not a Superboy '88 series?

I do think there is less need for that in the sence they did the comic book tie-in during the show’s initial run. So the opportunity to explore the show without the limites of the budget of the time has happened.

But I think someone tackling it now could have some fun. It actually ran longer than the Wonder Woman TV Series or the 60’s Batman or the live action Shazam!. (although Batman being on twice a week it’s first two seasons did lead to it having more episodes although not a huge ammount more). So it has a pretty expansive setting to explore. Could see what some other famous Superman villains looked like in that world or more stories with some of the lesser used ones adapted from the comics, or some of the many original villains. Also could say how that version of Superboy eventually went from working for the Bureau for Extra-Normal Matters to the Daily Planet. Or even look at an adult Superman working for the Bureau, since when I watched the show I started to feel like this was a version of Superman who made much different career options. Narratively Superboy was in the perfect job for himself, even more so than as a reporter so felt like that version never went on to work for the Daily Planet or meet Lois Lane.

Him working for the Bureau also actually could give them a chance to show him encountering versions of the various magic heroes. Heck they could even do a crossover with Swamp Thing, as the TV series ran at the same time and both were filmed in Universal Studios tv studios, don’t remember if they said where either shows were set but Superboy definitely looked like Florida and even had some swamp settings.

Ok, think I am done coming up with nostalgic series and movies to bring back as Superboy pretty much covers most that fit into that format. I mean, not like they would ever even consider doing a Human Target '92 comic book. (Although kind of wish they would just to hear everyone say “there was a Human Target TV series in 1992?”)

6 Likes

Home to, among others, the first Street Fighter TV series (which was not very good :smile:) and reruns of vintage DC animation.

I want to say that’s where the animated Swamp Thing show aired as well, but I don’t remember, offhand.

Speaking of Swamp Thing, I’d be down for a Swamp Thing '90 comic series. Especially if the artist was to draw Arcane’s big, brave and bold mullet in all of its early '90s glory.

4 Likes

There was a Human Target TV series in 1992?

4 Likes

LOL, yep. It ran for a whopping 7 weeks in the Summer. And keep in mind in the Summer in 1992 there was not a lot on besides re-runs so most didn’t watch it.

I can only go off memory, as it was never released to my knowledge so no way to watch them now. But at least as a teenager in the 90’s I thought it was a good series. Unlike the later one that came out semi-recently this version actually did alter his apparance and assume the clients identity, so it was closer to the comic book character.

I always found it interesting that a character who DC barely used. (he had never been more than a backup feature decades earlier at the time that series came out, but even by the time the second Human Target TV series came out not like they use dhim much) that he has managed to get two TV series based on him. I mean that is more than any DC character has had a live action TV series adaption save Batman, Superman, Swamp Thing and The Flash (and it took Swamp Thing longer to get to 2 live action series).

I am sure that part of it is that the premise of Human Target is not really a superhero story, so even non comic readers could find the premist appealing. Which might have made the idea of adapting it more appealing to studios, especially as both came out before the big live action superhero boom we are enjoying now.

But still interesting Human Target was the one who got that distinction, especially as neither of his series did especially well.

4 Likes