Should Brandon Routh Come Back As Superman?

CAUTION-SPOILERS FOR CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: Brandon Routh’s performance in Crisis On Infinite Earths was a highlight of show. While all of the acting was enjoyable - each actor really brought their A-game and contributed in their own unique way - Routh’s return as Superman really stood out. While his acting chops in Superman Returns were good in 2006, he has matured as an actor. He brought a weight to the role in Crisis that he would not have brought even 10 years ago. As a Superman fan I could really feel his pain. The speech about hope was very moving, and when he died, it was heartbreaking! And what a difference between Clark and Superman! Well played. Many of us would like to see a movie Superman return to the Christopher Reeve era. After all, Iron Man in the MCU has basically ripped off Reeve’s Supes’ combination of drama, comedy, and action and it has worked well! I think that Routh’s performance in Crisis proved that he could be the one to bring Superman back to the big screen, and give us a Superman that inspires us once again. What do you think?

4 Likes

I definitely agree that he’s done a fantastic job as Superman, but I also feel like he’d be one of the last people to play the character again in a theatrical movie. Even though I personally think Superman Returns is underrated, WB knows that most people either disliked it or didn’t care for it, and so I can’t imagine they’d ever be motivated to bring him back for a movie like that

1 Like

While I agree with @arkhamassassin that we wouldn’t get a theatrical release, I secretly hope for something on here, or on the CW Seed or something that would let us see him as Superman. I thought he was the highlight of the Crisis crossover, and they left it open ended enough that he could be brought back. I’m hoping to at least see him make some kind of appearance in the new Superman series on the CW that I don’t really want, but will watch every episode anyway.

2 Likes

I don’t think it would happen, but I would love it if they did. I thought when Superman Returns came out that Routh got a bad deal, in that the movie was full of problems but his performance was not one of them. But he was tainted as one of the lesser Superman’s due to not being given a great movie to work with.

One of the best things to come from Crisis is Routh getting a chance to sort of redeem himself with that. I don’t think before that the idea we would be discussing him reprising the role in a movie, or that he would now be listed with one of the great Superman would have ever happened.

I doubt we will get more but another movie with him, or the rumored Superman TV series featuring him would both be awesome.

3 Likes

Only if they did Kingdom Come. Beyond that, no.

It’s interesting to think about, anyway. In Superman Returns, I thought Brandon was really good. I really like SR -I saw it 5 times in the cinema and have watched it dozens of times at home. But the movie was not a blockbuster. It does have some problems. SR went too overboard with sets which changed the tone from Donner’s Superman and Superman II, which SR was trying to emulate, and the climax wasn’t satisfying. Plus I think it was a little light on super heroics. So I think unfairly, he is dragged down by the movie. But when he came back for Crisis, it showed to me that he can be Superman again. I’ve seen interviews where Routh said he got some closure. I am glad, and as a fan I guess I did, too. But I will still hope that Superman movies can return to the Reeve-Routh era and that Brandon will be back. OH, AND I ALMOST FORGOT: this is no knock on Henry Cavill. Many people loved him as Supes, I just prefer Reeve-Routh.

1 Like

I’d love to see him as Superman again. A feature film seems unlikely, since WB will probably either continue with Henry Cavill or cast an actor closer to Pattinson’s age to be the new Superman. But given his many years of success on the CW, and fans’ love for him and the character, I think he’d be great in his own miniseries or as a guest star on the Superman and Lois show.

2 Likes

I agree that it may be cool to have him guest star occasionally, however I would be against him on the big screen. That feels too much like retreading old ground to me.

1 Like

I’d love to see him show up as Zod in the Superman/Lois show next year.

2 Likes

Oooo! I hadn’t thought of that, and that could be very interesting!

2 Likes

In a word: Yes! His performance was one of the biggest highlights of the Crisis Crossover. Would love to see him do a limited series or movie.

2 Likes

When it comes to getting another Superman movie I feel like I’m that person in a furniture or car dealer commercial “I’ll Take It!”

3 Likes