Sherlock Holmes - How Did Sherlock Holmes Shape Your Taste In Comics?

Any mutual admirers of The Great Detective? Who is your Sherlock? Did he shape your comic tastes?

6 Likes

I love Sherlock Holmes. In fact, a few years ago I read the entire Canon. My favorite Holmes would be Basil Rathbone, although I also like Jeremy Brett and Benedict Cumberbatch. I can’t say Holmes influenced my tastes in comic books, as I was exposed to Batman comic books (and before that the 1966 TV series) before I was exposed to Holmes.

3 Likes

My 1st exposure to Sherlock Holmes was technically the 1st Downey movie, but it was the BBC Sherlock show that really sparked an interest in the character and that world. It’s 1 of my absolute favorite shows ever (even the final season and episode, fight me), and I love seeing comparisons between him and Batman, obvious as they may be

3 Likes

I’ll just leave this link to Detective Comics #572 here.

(Must resist doting on the Barr & Davis run with more affection…)

6 Likes

Jeremy Brett is by far my favorite version of Holmes.

2 Likes

I’ve read Holmes seems like forever. I remember the Rathbone movies, the 7% Solution, RDJ, and several tv series. Seen several tv series, my favorite because it is so different is Miss Sherlock starring Yuko Takeuchi.

2 Likes

I relate to Cumberbatch but I find Johnny Lee Miller the best emotionally adjusted Holmes as a character. I really enjoy the rough edges and swashbuckling of the Guy Ritche movies. I get a kick out of The Five Orange Pips mentioning Galveston, Texas cus that’s basically my local beach getaway.

2 Likes

I have read all of the original Holmes stories multiple times. I have enjoyed all the modern portrayals of him. I am afraid I have not seen any of Basil Rathbone’s work.

1 Like

I’m not sure if he quite shaped my taste in comics, as I don’t think I really got into Sherlock until after I started reading comics. That being said I think his influence is pretty pervasive in detective stories in general. I think my first exposure to him was a Wishbone episode? Anyway, my favorite is Cumberbatch. I think he adds a humanity to Sherlock that I don’t see in others.

3 Likes

Love the original books. I re-read them every once in a while. Batman is definitely one of his successors and this lead me to like Batman from the beginning. Holmes also helped define the idea of a genius specializing in one area but being unconcerned by other areas and perhaps not understanding what it is to be human, which are themes that come up a lot in a world of Super Heroes. I find that I can see a lot of Holmes’ disconnection with regular people when Wonder Woman tries to live a normal life. Both of them live on such a different level that it is difficult for them to try and relate with common humanity. In Holmes’ case, he has no interest in doing so. In Wonder Woman’s case, she would like nothing more. It is almost a kind of tragedy that they are so successful in what they do but also failures in what they cannot do. It is an endearing characteristic for each of them.

2 Likes

I was introduced to Sherlock Holmes through the Granada series starring Jeremy Brett. His Comic book presence has never really impacted me all that much. However, a few years after SHERLOCK came out, I got the Batman '66 TV series on DVD and there was a scene in the Bookworm Two-parter where Batman puts himself into a trance to figure out what happened to Robin and it reminded me very much of Sherlock’s Mind Palace routine.

3 Likes