Shazam the Animated Series

Just wondering what people would think of a Shazam/ Captain Marvel, animated series. I’d love to see something like this. Pros and cons? Possible scenarios? What does everyone think?

4 Likes

It would be tough don’t you think? Shazam might have the smallest rogues gallery in DC.

Sounds like it would be fun especially if it zigged while the current Shazam thing is zagging. In other words, instead of leaning into the kiddie humor lower the volume on that and go with an updated retro vibe drawing from the Golden Age Fawcett stuff like Mr. Mind, Ibac, Sabbac, and the Monster Society of Evil.

They can’t both do retro Fawcett Captain Marvel and tone down on the “kiddie humor”: “Captain Marvel Adventures” stories regularly dealt with the goofy and the ridiculous in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. It’s the one element most modern creators avoid when revisiting Shazam! because it’s not easy to match the ease with which Otto Binder jumped from adventures in alternate worlds to Cap helping Mister Tawny as he struggles to go on a diet.

The Shazam! rogues gallery is actually fairly expansive. Dr. Sivana, Black Adam, Mister Mind, Captain Nazi, Mister Atom, Ibac, Sabbac, King Kull, Chain Lightning, the Crocodile-Men, The Arson Fiend, etc.

4 Likes

That would be hard to do. He would need better villains, Black Adam and Sivana aren’t enough

@btouch, You’re actually wrong because the Golden Age Fawcett Comics were breezy but they weren’t winking at the audience either with snarky comments at the ready every time something out of the ordinary happened. Go back and read some of those books because while Binder’s stuff was great it isn’t hard to replicate.

@Jason322 I read the old Fawcett comics all the time. A good number of the stories are indeed written on multiple levels with winks here and there at the audience. Obviously “snarky” wasn’t really a writing style in the 1940s/1950s, but a good number of the stories are satirical and/or self-aware in tone. It’s actually not hard for modern writers to duplicate; it’s just something that’s hard to get approved and published in modern comics in a way that lines up with what Binder did without slavishly copying it

Which is why my original point stands that a proposed Shazam cartoon can be breezy without automatically leaning on winking humor. Just tell the story and let the humor come as it will just like those Binder stories.

Heck, I’d be fine if a toon version of the serial was made complete with a Cap throwing thugs off bridges and rooftops.

1 Like

I would be all for it. I would also like it to tie into the movie. Almost how they had the Ghostbuster cartoon back in the day. Shazam Short on DC Nation was reaaallly realllyy good! I’m down.

1 Like

Animated, yes. Live action, we’ll see how the movie goes. :rofl:

Shazam is one of my favorites so YEAH!

1 Like

There WAS a Shazam! Animated Series. It lasted for 1 season. It was part of “The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam!” (No joke, that was the name of the show.) It was originally supposed to be the Archie characters reimaged as superheroes and The Marvel Family, but Filmation lost the rights to the Archie characters.
Now, what I want to know is – the “Hero High” episodes have been released, but not the Shazam! episodes. Which were the only on screen appearances of Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr.
So why haven’t they been released?

1 Like

I believe Filmation’s successor, DreamWorks Classics, may still own the rights to that series. At the very least, the last time I saw copies of it, it sported the closing logo of Entertainment Rights, the previous owners of the Filmation catalog.

Incidentally, Mary and Junior also appear in an episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Off the top of my head, Black Adam, Dr. Sivannah, Seven deadly Sins, and everyone’s favorite villain, Mr. Banjo.

sees all the disrespect being thrown at Shazam’s rouges gallery

deep breath

Dr. Sivana, the Sivana Family, Black Adam, Isis, Osiris, Mr. Mind, the Crocodile-Men, Sobek, Zazzo, Levram Niatpac, the Invincible Man, Mr. Atom, Chain Lightning, Captain Nazi, Lady Libertine, Dr. Morpheus, the Arson Fiend, Ibac, Sabbac, Oom the Mighty, Oggar, Evil Eye, King Kull, the Seven Deadly Enemies of Man, the Dragon-men of Saturn, the Comet-men, the Spider Men of Mars, Nyola, the Dummy, the Confederation of Hell, the Monster Society of Evil, the Amoeba Family, Aunt Minerva, King Kid, Scapegoat, the Wicked Witch, the Red Queen, Jeepers, the Handyman, the Invaders from Infinity, the King of All Time, the Storm King, the Superior, the Legion of Sivanas, the Sivana Navy, Spec, Lady Blaze, Satanus, Mr. Who, Mr. Alias, Mr. Banjo, the Great Red Brain, a whole host of characters from the Golden Age who definitely shouldn’t be used today because they’re incredibly offensive Eclipso (they’ve fought enough times; he counts as much as Deathstroke does for Green Arrow), Ramulus, Mr. Merry-go-round, the Mad Poet, Radioactive Man, the Smiling Swordsman, the Space Ghoul, the Three Faces of Evil, and the Vampire Burglar!

Also, yes. Yes, he really should have another animated series lol

There was one back in the late 70’s/early 80’s time frame…

1 Like

Yes, it ran fit one season in 1981-82 on NBC as half of The Kid Superpower Hour with Shazam! It was produced by Filmation, who’d also done the 1975-1977 CBS live-action show.