Shazam Question

I’m hate to ask this because as a 40 yr comic reader I feel like I should know the answer, but… I know it’s Shazam/Captain Marvel, but since they can’t use Captain Marvel in the movie and his name is Shazam how does he say his name in normal conversation? i.e. hi my name is Shazam. Once he say isn’t there a bolt of lighting and it’s on? Does inflection or intent play into it? Don’t know why I’ve never questioned this before but it’s been bugging me for days.

5 Likes

It’s gone back and forth over the years. Sometimes it’s a matter of intent, but sometimes it happens if you say it at all. Shazam not being able to say his own name is a big part of the current ongoing comic.

3 Likes

I believe any instance of Billy saying “Shazam,” even if it’s just casually, triggers the transformation. Ever since the character changed his name, it’s been played for laughs, as it can be funny seeing him having to avoid saying the word even when he needs to introduce himself.

3 Likes

Huh ya know I havent thought about this. I guess he can still refer to himself as “Captain or Cap.” But Captain what? Hmm.

2 Likes

Its has to be intent and/or purpose for Billy to turn into Shazam. Here’s New 52 Jonhs Shazam explanation.

Based on the trailer, looks like they are following Johns version when transforming.

4 Likes

Thank you @E-Dot!

2 Likes

What I love, is now that he is Shazam and not Captain Marvel he traded Captain Marvel Jr.'s problem for his problem.

4 Likes

It was later stated he had to say it with meaning.
Before then it was a plot point during the Dan Jurgens Teen Titans run because Captain Marvel Jr couldn’t say it.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone…I read that story and totally forgot that explanation.

3 Likes

In the New52 he had to say it with intent. But in Rebirth it got changed back to him just saying it and it automatically changes him. I have a read the junior novel for the movie and SPOILER:

He changes when he says SHAZAM even without meaning to. I guess it’s gonna be a running joke now that he can’t say his own name. Kinda like Captain Marvel Jr use to have the problem.

3 Likes