SHAZAM Book Ending

Sadly, it appears the title is coming to an end after only 15 issues. Seems like just yesterday it launched. Not sure if that’s enough time to resolve all the plot threads Geoff Johns has yet to fully resolve in these last few issues.

Written By Jeff Loveness

Art And Cover By Brandon Peterson

Variant Cover By Francis Manapul

ON SALE 09/22/20

$3.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC | DC

FINAL ISSUE

After a night battling robots across the globe, Billy Batson finds out not everyone loves
superheroes when one of his teachers unleashes a lecture on the ethics of unchecked power and privilege. It’ll take more than just the wisdom of Solomon for the teen hero to figure this one out.

11 Likes

Sad to hear that- I was really enjoying this run.

7 Likes

I would imagine that sometime between now and when Shazam 2 hits theaters that a new creative team and a new series will be on shelves. It would be a bad look if it wasn’t.

6 Likes

I am a guy who loves seeing a superhero with a rich, robust rogues gallery. That is why I have been chomping at the bit to see what Johns was doing with the whole elaborate and intriguing revamp of The Monster Society of Evil. Now that they have finally made an appearance, it looks like we are only getting a couple more Johns issues to go, and one of them is focusing on Superboy Prime.

This really frustrates me. I wanted to read comics and explore the weirdness of the new Monster Society of Evil. With the imagery introducing all of them looking so intriguing, I was really looking forward to the comics pages they were going to be filling for a long time to come. I expected a thick addition to the modern Shazam mythology.

Now it looks like we’ll barely get to meet them and SHAZAM! They’re gone.

9 Likes

This makes me sad… I really was enjoying Shazam.

6 Likes

And here we thought 2020 couldn’t get any worse. :worried:

4 Likes

Bummer. I enjoyed the series, but he’ll be back sooner or later.

The Manapul variant for the final ish is very slick.

That’s a bummer I was enjoying this version.

1 Like

The constant delays probably didn’t help things

5 Likes

Yea, it sucks. I wonder what the cause was?

I remember the days when Geoff Johns was able to work on a monthly book consistently…then again he didn’t have as many books to work on.

2 Likes

No I love Shazam it’s so uplifting

3 Likes

I think he’s busy with 30 different things in different media and that’s harming his productivity

3 Likes

I love his work, but yea, you’re right on that one.

a pity, Darn you DC Comics and COVID-19 Hoax :grimacing: :lying_face: :hot_face: :cold_face: :skull_and_crossbones: :-1: :-1: :fist: :fist:

I’m sorry to hear that this book is ending. I hope this is only temporary and a new book will follow soon. Maybe a new book will show some of the effect of Doomsday clock or even the new Death Metal series. Maybe Mary will go back to being Billy’s biological sister.

4 Likes

Hoax?

1 Like

But they were going to fight Superboy Prime…

Superboy Prime fight will still happen. I am way more excited about the Monster Society of Evil fight, though.

I really liked the early issues and the bit with Mary’s backstory and the hint at Hoppy. The tone seemed to change along the way though. It felt more wild ride adventure and world building than fun kids to heroes stories that allow us to get to know the kids more as they’re thrown deeper into those adventures. I don’t really feel like I know the kids better than when the run started… including their superhero names. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I can’t recall hearing any consist hero names. Mary Shazam? Lady Shazam? King Shazam? Shazam Jr (although it doesn’t make sense with the new dynamics)?