Set The Mood: The Sandman

setthemood

Dream a little dream of … Dream! :musical_note:

With The Sandman now having a home on DCUI, I’ve finally been able to sit down and catch up with it after hearing nothing but great reviews. So far, so good! Here’s my moodboard for our ever-patient Endless hostage, Morpheus:

QUICK Q&A:

Hold up, Static. What the heck is a moodboard?
Putting it simply, moodboards are a series of graphics that are used as a way of capturing the atmosphere surrounding a particular subject to briefly immerse the viewer into the “mood” of said subject. Kind of like collages! Which is why there’s no right or wrong way to make one. You could make one entirely out of relevant quotes, or organize one by a certain color palette, or just fill it up with pics of things that represent the subject point-blank. It’s your board!

How do I make a moodboard? How do I post it here?
Personally, I find the easiest way to make moodboards is through Pinterest. For those who aren’t familiar with the site, it’s a hub for images/videos that can be added to “boards” you create based on personal interests or whatever you’re particularly searching for. Many people use it for the sole purpose of creating moodboards, so there’s plenty of stuff to work with there if you’re not inclined to create one from scratch.

That said, you’re also free to make one through any editing program if you don’t wanna go about making a whole Pinterest account! Just paste the graphic(s) here as you would any other image. If you’re doing a Pinterest board, feel free to drop the link to it, or provide a preview screenshot!

And finally, for those who don’t wanna do either of those things but still want to participate, you’re more than welcome to create a moodboard of your own here by posting any pictures you may find relevant and just sort of talking about your thought process on them. (Ex. post a photo of masks and talk about how that may relate to “Crazy” Jane.) Otherwise, feel free to just openly discuss your thoughts on the topic at hand.

As always, remember to keep all contents of this thread respective of the Forum Guidelines. This includes doing your civil duties to keep a check on profanity, keep things SFW, and remain respectful towards one another’s work. For now, let’s also stick to posting :warning: ONE BOARD PER PERSON (PER TOPIC)! :warning:

How are YOU enjoying The Sandman?

5 Likes

:smiley:Can I make one for Sandman from Spider-Man?

(Seeing @staticshocks glaring back​:face_with_raised_eyebrow:)

:grin:I was kidding anyway!

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the Sandman TV series yet, as I don’t have Netflix. I really want to, though! Morpheus is one of my all time favorite characters. Anyway, I love your board. For my board I was trying to capture the whole process of dreaming as brought about by The Sandman. I wanted the last image to be one of someone sleeping, but I couldn’t find an image I like! Anyway, given the presence of Brute and Glob, I am guessing it might be the start of a nightmare rather than a dream…

5 Likes

AMAZING stuff as usual!! I love the quote you used and the ambiguity of the “safety” of the dream. Very curious and haunting :eyes:

I also haven’t started the Sandman series on Netflix just yet, but looking forward to it when I eventually do! (Presently trying to binge all of Breaking Bad so I can watch Better Call Saul, haha.)

I’ve heard great things about the series at least!

4 Likes

I saw the first episode out of curiosity. I have a current Apple TV sub that is about to expire sometime next month and frankly, even if it’s within my budget or I have access to a NF account (as I do through the partner of one of my best friends), for me, at the moment, it’s more of a time issue than anything else.

I think they mostly did a good job as an adaptation but I don’t think Sandmen (and I do highly recommend anyone who HAS NOT to read the entire Vertigo/DC collection of those) needs to be a literal adaptation. Since I don’t mind spoilers as I’ve read the entire TPB collection, I have read some reviews and I know one complaint is that the NF series is apparently somewhat slavish to Gaiman’s work and that apparently some reviewers thought it should take more liberties.

I’ll also note, for the record, I’m not at all a fan of horror in anything and Vertigo was essentially a horror line when this all started, as that is what was viewed then as the entryway to ‘adult comics.’ So where that is existing in the first season and where they have changed things (e.g. giving a certain nightmare more focus) starting earlier than the books and generally.

I did really enjoy the adaptation of Dream of 1000 Cats but only skimmed parts of Caliope. I hope they get to do a bit more things like that and that some service picks up S2 onward, if NF doesn’t.

4 Likes