Set The Mood: Doom Patrol Edition

setthemood

I love Doom Patrol. You love Doom Patrol. WE ALL :heart: DP. And with the Doom Patrol Season 3 premiere just days away on HBO Max (that’s right, September 23rd – mark your calendars!), what better way to hype ourselves up than to revisit some of those suckerpunch themes from the series that hit us all right in the Honey Nut Feelios?

So here’s what I’m thinking – and hear me out – MOODBOARDS. Moodboards are a great way to both tell a story and stir up emotion. They’re also just fun to make!

That’s where Set The Mood comes in. Each week we’ll visit a different topic to produce moodboards for, but as you’re probably already picking up what I’m putting down, this week’s all about celebrating Doom Patrol and finding artistic ways to explore some of the many, many, many different personalities on the show (I personally lost count after 64).

So for now, let’s get it kickin’ with moodboards featuriiiiing…

YOUR FAVORITE DOOM PATROL CHARACTER(S)!

QUICK Q&A:

Hold up, Static. What the heck is a moodboard?
Putting it simply, moodboards are a series of graphics that are used as a way of capturing the atmosphere surrounding a particular subject to briefly immerse the viewer into the “mood” of said subject. Kind of like collages! Which is why there’s no right or wrong way to make one. You could make one entirely out of relevant quotes, or organize one by a certain color palette, or just fill it up with pics of things that represent the subject point-blank. It’s your board!

How do I make a moodboard? How do I post it here?
Personally, I find the easiest way to make moodboards is through Pinterest. For those who aren’t familiar with the site, it’s a hub for images/videos that can be added to “boards” you create based on personal interests or whatever you’re particularly searching for. Many people use it for the sole purpose of creating moodboards, so there’s plenty of stuff to work with there if you’re not inclined to create one from scratch.

That said, you’re also free to make one through any editing program if you don’t wanna go about making a whole Pinterest account! Just paste the graphic(s) here as you would any other image. If you’re doing a Pinterest board, feel free to drop the link to it, or provide a preview screenshot!

And finally, for those who don’t wanna do either of those things but still want to participate, you’re more than welcome to create a moodboard of your own here by posting any pictures you may find relevant and just sort of talking about your thought process on them. (Ex. post a photo of masks and talk about how that may relate to Jane.) And by the way, yes yes YES, you can absolutely make a moodboard for a subject/character someone else already posted about in here.

As always, remember to keep all contents of this thread respective of the Forum Guidelines. This includes doing your civil duties to keep a check on profanity, keep things SFW, and remain respectful towards one another’s work. For now, let’s also stick to posting :warning: ONE BOARD PER PERSON (PER TOPIC)! :warning:

YAY EXAMPLE TIME:

I love all the DP folks, but my personal fave is Larry! So here’s my small Pinterest moodboard for him, full of some visual elements that wrapped up his personal journey throughout the seasons thus far. I kinda wanted to ride the angst train for this one, so I kept it focused more on the pain points of his story rather than the current progression of it. Y’know, to be evil.

As a sample of a full graphic moodboard, I also whipped this up for our favorite mummy man:

I’m insanely curious to see what you guys have to show and tell about your own faves, so without further adieu, get moody!

6 Likes

h e l l o t h e r e. I m u s t s a y t h a t
x530 x527 DPDCUIA :00_dc_1940: :00_dc_1942:

xwkr1
xldpE

2 Likes

Jane Lane representing our Jane is so fitting :joy:

I really love how clean all the b&w elements of this graphic are! The mix of different medias is also really fun.

3 Likes

@staticshocks This is so neat! I’m also glad that you discussed how moodboards are made and how Pinterest is a good way to make them. I’ve seen many moodboards and aesthetics from people on Tumblr, and I’ve always thought they were cool (especially the Jason Todd ones) and I have yet to see how people make them, until today I suppose :sweat_smile:

I might have to look into that… maybe~

I like this idea for a thread, and Doom Patrol is the perfect theme for them too :grin:

And of course, @xLOVEandDoomPatrolx is here to share yet another artistic masterpiece! Absolutely beautiful :heart_eyes: :heart:

2 Likes

I love the whole team from the comics and in the live action show. It is impossible for me to pick just one. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Aww girl, stop . . .

x1550

Thanks so much @TheWifeOfJasonTodd! :white_heart: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

:hugs:

2 Likes

Keep that Jason Todd thing in mind. (cough cough) :wink:

Thanks btw! I love making graphics in general, so it’s nice to have somewhere to actually put them :laughing:

2 Likes

:eyes:

You know how good the cast of the live action show is? Whenever I think of Doom Patrol, THEY are the ones I think of, not the comic book versions. Perfectly cast show! Having said that, I hope this will not be the last season. I want to see Rita go full-on superhero. If you have a character called Elasti-Woman (at least in the publicity materials), you expect that character to do cool things. The writers it seems have made Rita somewhat weak and helpless, which is surprising since I thought DC prided themselves on strong female characters, and the way Rita comes across in the show, she seems to embody the worst female stereotypes. It also doesn’t help that Jane gets a HUGE amount of footage by comparison. In all fairness, if Jane was spotlighted in the first two seasons, shouldn’t Rita have two seasons where she’s in the spotlight?

1 Like

You’re pretty spot on there. All the actors are so fitting for their characters that I can’t imagine them cast as anyone else!

That said, I personally think Rita’s character development is a good slowburn progression of disowning a literal entire image made for her by someone else that she’d been living as for the past, what, 90 years? It’s gonna take some time to abandon everything she knows (all those stereotypes) and that “sense of self” she thought she had. Not to mention that each character is more or less fighting their battles alone (save for Jane and Cliff, who intertwine often), so Rita’s still hot on the track of learning to control her powers and even give this whole “superhero” thing a try on her own. I think we’re well on the way to seeing Rita become Elasti-Woman, it’s just still in the earlier stages of figuring herself out and overcoming her self-hatred to decide who she really is and what she wants to do.

I also think Jane’s probably more the deuteragonist in this series, with Cliff being the center protagonist. All of the DP are main characters, of course, but I think Larry, Rita, and Vic are purposefully meant to have more individual struggles that define them more so as tritagonists in the overarching scheme of things. Rita and the others may continue to get their individual spotlight episodes throughout this next season, but I think the general focus may always be more on Cliff and Jane. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Felt the need to make one for Rita - didn’t expect her to be my favorite character going into this show, yet here we are. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I absolutely love this! :heart_eyes: Super pretty!

3 Likes

BEAUTIFUL. And so perfectly encapsulates Rita’s whole deal. :weary: :ok_hand: 100000/10. Love the soft reds/cream color scheme too!

2 Likes

:star_struck: :heart_eyes:

Exquisite!

3 Likes