Set The Mood: Day of the Dead & Jessica Cruz

stm

Today is November 2nd – which means it’s Día de Muertos!

As we all know, this beautiful holiday is a day where those of Mexican heritage honor their departed by celebrating their memory with food, laughter, music, and an overall warm sentiment of love and joy. It’s a time to come together and hold those we’ve lost in the highest regard as we celebrate the beauty of life. I wanted to bring this holiday to our lovely community here, so I decided to make it the theme for our Set The Mood this week!

And since I’m particularly obsessed with Jessica Cruz’s exclusive Day of the Dead Funko Pop, I’ve decided to make her the face of my moodboards this week.

I stuck to a mix of greens & oranges in my Pinterest moodboard since I relate those colors most to the marigolds, which are the flowers used to honor the dead.

QUICK Q&A:

Hold up, Static. What the heck is a moodboard?
Putting it simply, moodboards are a series of graphics that are used as a way of capturing the atmosphere surrounding a particular subject to briefly immerse the viewer into the “mood” of said subject. Kind of like collages! Which is why there’s no right or wrong way to make one. You could make one entirely out of relevant quotes, or organize one by a certain color palette, or just fill it up with pics of things that represent the subject point-blank. It’s your board!

How do I make a moodboard? How do I post it here?
Personally, I find the easiest way to make moodboards is through Pinterest. For those who aren’t familiar with the site, it’s a hub for images/videos that can be added to “boards” you create based on personal interests or whatever you’re particularly searching for. Many people use it for the sole purpose of creating moodboards, so there’s plenty of stuff to work with there if you’re not inclined to create one from scratch.

That said, you’re also free to make one through any editing program if you don’t wanna go about making a whole Pinterest account! Just paste the graphic(s) here as you would any other image. If you’re doing a Pinterest board, feel free to drop the link to it, or provide a preview screenshot!

And finally, for those who don’t wanna do either of those things but still want to participate, you’re more than welcome to create a moodboard of your own here by posting any pictures you may find relevant and just sort of talking about your thought process on them. (Ex. post a photo of masks and talk about how that may relate to “Crazy” Jane.) Otherwise, feel free to just openly discuss your thoughts on the topic at hand.

As always, remember to keep all contents of this thread respective of the Forum Guidelines. This includes doing your civil duties to keep a check on profanity, keep things SFW, and remain respectful towards one another’s work. For now, let’s also stick to posting :warning: ONE BOARD PER PERSON (PER TOPIC)! :warning:

How do you celebrate Día de Muertos?

5 Likes

I don’t have a moodboard to share but I think the one you made is very artfully composed and the color scheme really works. That Pop is also pretty sweet :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thank you! :hugs:

It is a great Pop. I’ve seen it a couple times in store. Considering the investment … :thinking:

3 Likes

I love the Dia de Muertos Funko Pop of Jessica! And your mood board looks wonderful. I set up my ofrenda on Sunday. It was filled with things V loved, including the 1966 Batmobile (she loved Batman '66), cards for The X-Files and The Wizard of Oz. Sadly I had fewer marigolds this year, as the summer’s drought killed most of them. On Tuesday I ate a meal of some of V’s favorite foods (chicken salad, Dr Pepper, and so on). It was a good Dia de Muertos.

3 Likes

That’s incredible! What a way to honor her down to the last detail. It sounds like a very beautiful, personal few days. I’m glad your week started off this way! :hugs:

And it sounds like V had some great taste!

4 Likes

When it comes to mood (board), this is what I always feel in regards to Jessica Cruz :green_heart:. Glad there is a space for this to finally go. Thanks @staticshocks!

She. Deserves. More.

xjc3B xjc1B xjc2B
xsight3

#jessica-cruz #inequality #substancecontrarytotheoversaturated

3 Likes