⏰Second Chance: Manhunter, Red Robin, & Checkmate

Chance would be a natural match with Manhunter- tough female leads, well used C list bad guys, etc.

I know it isn’t requested as much but would love a second chance to read Supergirl from the 70’s

@Heartshadow except they are rotating comics, that is what they said in the beginning and what they are doing now. They are not building a huge library, so why would they or how would they give you faith that is what they were doing? They would be misleading us if they did try to “give us faith” in that since that is not what they are doing.

2 Likes

What DantheMan says is true. Where I think they’re being disingenuous is in pretending this announcement at the end of the month is going to be a real change from what we had before rotations stopped back in November.

What frustrates me most is that they haven’t made the most basic but neccessary change… namely the addition of a banner on the thumbnail and or the main page of the series due to be rotated out with the expiration date from the moment the rotation is publically announced. Emails, push notifications and forum threads are all nice but insufficient because they really only account for those who are signed up at the time the announcement is made and whatever percentage of users engage with the community. Anyone who signs up next month will be justifiably upset when those titles are pulled as they’re in the middle of reading.

A limited service is fine but I’m becoming increasingly concerned that DC does not want to admit this because they fear it may stop people from subscribing. That may well be the case but I think it would be better for the long term health of the brand to maybe lose money on some original shows (which I don’t think they would) than to make people pissed off because they got caught in what they think of as a bait and switch. How else do you explain delaying what will basically be a non announcement until its too late for monthly subscribers to cancel without being charged for month?

1 Like

Bring Impulse back!! <3 Humberto Ramos is my favorite Bart Artist.

I was waiting for the Omnibus but hearing it was canceled I would love to read it here.

1 Like

I had a very specific conversation with one of the mods on an earlier thread where they said that things would not be taken away any longer. I asked if this meant “only until the new comics model was rolled out or forever”. The mod said the plan was not to take comics away any longer at all. It’s down in the threads somewhere. I can find it if needed.

To be fair, I checked my question on an earlier thread and I did ask if the “not rotating comics out” was temporary or permanent. The mod replied as follows:

“It is the new model that is under discussion currently”

I read that as “yes, you are correct. This is the new model and we’re discussing it currently”. It appears that maybe the comment only was intended to say “we haven’t decided and we’re discussing the new model”

I still think it’s foolish to rotate comics out in the way Netflix does. I understand why Netflix does it…they have to pay movie and TV companies to use their products. But DC comics belong to DC. And as such, any similar argument to doing things like Netflix does not carry much water as far as I’m concerned.

But I did want to clarify the conversation (you guys can look it up if you want as well. I did and it didn’t take long).

2 Likes

Thank you for the second chances, and all the new comics you added! Like @Gregor, I’d also like a second chance to read Impulse. He’s always made me laugh, and reading the new YJ reminded me how much his presence has been missed in the DCU.

And by DCU, I mean the fictional universe where DC characters exist, not this service. Sorry for the double post…my kingdom for an edit posts feature.

Something like that may have been considered at one point but I think its pretty clear that’s not how things turned out.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that when you purchase a digital comic what you are buying is a license to read the material. That makes contracts like the one DC signed with Barnes and Noble, Comixology and Amazon to provide digital comics really tricky to navigate. There are probably terms in the contract which specify that DC can’t just give the same products they’re selling away at a fraction of the price which is why there are so many comics on here that are complete except for one or two issues or why there are a ton of golden age stories from Action Comics but none from Superman.

Marvel likely only gets away with their service because it predates digital comics as a king and as the undisputed industry leader when they cut their version of those deals they had the clout to get it grandfathered in.

2 Likes

@Heartshadow.

DC Comics and DC Universe are separate organizations within Warner Brother/AT&T.

I am pretty sure that Applejack said that DC University had a strict limitation of the number of issues in the library.

I think that limit went from 2,500 to 3,000.

A small part of the cost is server space. Comics take up way less space than movies, but it is an item in the budget.

The limit may be in the contract between DC itself and our service. Certainly it was considered in the contracts between DC Comics and Comixology.

I personally think our service is paying DC Comics for each comic each month. It is real revenue to DC Comics, and a real cost to our service, though it is zero profit/cost to Warner Brothers.

Part of the money goes to reprint income for the creators, which we all should support. Current Creators definitely get reprint income for Graphical Novels and digital sales, as does the Schuster family, probably the Kane and Morston Estates too. But not the other older artists and writers. It is not clear when reprint income became available, but it was after the Superman movie was made. When Kirby came back, hopefully he got reprint income for his new creations.

Also when a creator creates a new character, they get money for each use nowadays. If they don’t, that is why comic books keep reusing old characters.

1 Like

Eventually I would like to see the Supergirl new 52 series here. At some point… no time soon. I already have too much to read on here right now :wink:

I am so appreciative of you guys bringing back Manhunter and Checkmate! Both were titles I was reading before they were taken down. Now I will marathon those titles before the date mentioned. At some point I would like to see the Bloodlines storyline come here, so I can finally read it and Anima that came from it. I look forward to any titles you guys put up, as long as we get some notice before you take them down :wink:

I would love to see the series that surround the Batman and Robin series, Batman Returns, Batman Inc, Gotham Central. And the events would be great to see on here as well, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, etc.
No Man’s Land and it’s precursors would also be something that would be good to read on the service.

1 Like

@TurokSonOfStone

I’ll just comment on a couple of things. I worked for a decade at Microsoft, so let me assure you that the cost of storage is vanishingly, embarrassingly small. It’s a non-factor. And it would only become a factor if they were digitizing comics that aren’t already digitized. The bigger issue would be bandwidth for a globally distributed audience to download/read the stored digital content (which, again, is almost certainly already an element of the fees they charge for their service and is thus a non-factor).

As for DC being a separate company, I can tell you that we tried that nonsense with our customers and they laughed at us. An entity won’t do well by telling their customers “well, yeah we’re Apple…but we’re not THAT Apple…”. The same applies here. DC is DC from the customer perspective. And as such, any notion that “ok we’ve subscribed to DC but not THAT DC” is simply not a viable excuse, I’m afraid.

Again, I’m happy they are paying more attention to maintaining story arcs. And I’m pleased they are increasing the # of comics. But unless/until they go with a Marvel Unlimited type of format, they won’t have achieved enough to earn my renewal. They have another year to go since I bought the full year at the start. So there is time.

Let’s see what they do with that time and if they really do care about their customers.

6 Likes

So now the excuse is that DC Comics is a different company than DC Universe. Never mind that Jim Lee and Dido both were pushing DCU before it’s launch. What other excuses will people make up for DC limiting what we receive for our money?

2 Likes

They are different. DC Entertainment is one company. DC Universe is an element of Warner Brothers Digital Networks, which is different from DCE. That information is on the WB website when you look into the different divisions of the company.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for second chances.

I am halfway through the Checkmate series and it is excellent

The first two issues were slow and then it blew me away.

I didn’t know it was by Rucka.

Since you added recently Outsiders, I could read an arc with 2 issues of Checkmate and 2 issues of Outsiders, which was not possible before.

Also I just read Volumes 1 and 2 of Action Comics, by Morrison, at Comixology. Volume 1 is sufficient for this title. We had 3 issues here. It reads much better as a Graphical Novel. Each novel was 23% off, with 15% off if I had had Comixology Unlimited.

Since all New DC Comics are 15% with CU, I will probably get. CU before Wednesday.

Then I will get Stephanie Brown Batgirl, which I Remember with fondness and was nominated as one of ten best series in one of the threads here.

Back to original question. While I’d love to see newer content I’d like to put out a couple classic titles with broad appeal.
Batman Family
Superman Family
Showcase

What do I want? Actual complete story arcs, including crossovers, annuals, and so on. It’s absolute nonsense to do otherwise. The 90s Birds of Prey went from 36 issues (missing the Nightwing crossovers) up to 40 issues a week or so ago (but still missing the crossovers), then down to about 15 a few days ago (still missing the crossovers) and now appears to have vanished all together.

Justice League Dark is missing the I, Vampire crossovers as well. Again, this isn’t difficult to fix; either put up entire story arcs, or don’t bother to put it up at all.

Absolutely ridiculous.

3 Likes